|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F250 V10 or diesel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PullToy

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/02 11:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The increased maintenance is due mainly to the number of quarts needed (15) plus the filter is pricey at $12-16 aftermarket (a lot more from Ford). It is a 2 quart filter. The oil has to be diesel oil that meets the right specs as among other things, it has an anti-foaming agent that is required for the Ford HEUI injection system. From an unscientific guess from watching threads at Ford-Diesel.com for more than a year, 40% of folks run Delo 400, 40% run Shell Rotella and the rest run some brand of synthetic. Some synthetic users are running a bypass filter and going 20K+ miles on changes. I change on the "extreme duty" cycle which is 3K miles. I am either towing or taking short trips, both of which qualify for "extreme duty." I think the normal interval is 5K but I am not sure. I buy Chevron Delo 400 at Costco for ~$32 a case (6 gallons).

The only other routine maintenance tasks are to test the coolant every 6 mos. or so because it has an additive to prevent cavitation erosion. This needs to be monitored. A quick dipstick test and that's it. No big deal. The fuel filter has to changed once in a while (15K I think) and there is a water drain in the fuel filter housing that should be purged when you think about it or if the "water in fuel" light comes on. The air filter housing has a guage on it to tell you when the filter needs changing. Handy. The turbo is your basic Garrett unit. Ford had a run of turbo bolts coming loose between the hot and cold sections. I haven't seen much on that lately so apparently it is being resolved. Mine haven't come loose. Other than folks melting the turbo with too high EGTs after doing modifications to the engine, I haven't heard of any longevity issues. You do have to let the turbo cool down by idling the engine for a while after high speed/heavy load operation. The turbo adds cost at rebuild time of course. They are warranteed for 10/100K so Ford must think they are going to hang in there. Hope this helps.

Mr. Gadget

Toledo Bend, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/02 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am truly impressed with the honest answers you've gotten here. Ask this question over at Ford Diesel.com and they'll tell you that the V-10's a joke. And that's just not the case IMHO.

Like a couple of other posters I have both a V-10 and a Power Stroke. They are both great engines and will do the job. As one poster pointed out, the diesel "MAY" pay off for you quicker than you think. Just do the math and don't listen to the horror stories about it taking 200K. That ain't true.

One thing no one's mentioned is how smooth the V-10 is. You can't even tell when our Excursion is running. We think it's the perfect engine for that truck because of the short trips it has to make carrying our daughter to school and so forth. The V-10 is just more "user friendly" and since my wife drives it I think it was the right choice hands down. Now in a race, it used to be faster than my diesel. But that was before I made a few mods, now it's no contest. The diesel will blow it's doors off.

Towing I can't really say. But from my experience with gassers in the past I would say that if my Superduty had a V-10 instead of the PSD that I would have to learn to live with the higher revs. With the PSD it just lopes along effortlessly. I have never had anything pull like this! I'm sure the V-10 will pull but you'll have to get used to letting it operate in it's power range which is probably up around 3,000 rpm.

Bottom line, if ya ain't pulled with a diesel, you really haven't driven one. That makes all the difference. Why else would we put up with the stink and noise! LOL.

Good luck

2001 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab, PSD 4x4
2001 Holiday Rambler 26 RKS
2000 V-10 Excursion

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/02 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had an F250 SD (V8) that we traded in on the F350 we currently have. Average 16-18 mpg without load and first run with 7200 lb trailer was about 12 mpg. I'm hypersensitive to noise and find the V10 is not enough quieter than the PSD to make it a selling point. The V8 in the F250 was noisy as well. Once the PSD is warmed up it quiets right down, and the more miles you put on it the quieter it gets. Bought ours this past winter and other than plugging in a few nights that were very cold and adding the degelling liquid, didn't find it to be a pain in the winter. Towing ratings are similar or less becase the PSD is much heavier than a gas engine, so you lose some payload. If you aren't close to maxing out, that shouldn't be an issue.

Drive both and see what you like better. The PSD isn't fast off the line but it sure can pull. And it's not likely we'll ever wear it out. IMHO from what I've read and heard, it's a sturdier engine, less likely to fail. Haven't run into a situation yet where we can't find diesel, but haven't gone to many rural areas yet. If you stay in more traveled areas, it shouldn't be a problem, and if you are worried about finding it in rural areas, I suppose it's possible to carry some gerry cans. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either. We chose the diesel more so because it was the configuration we wanted, and the V10 wasn't.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

T_Bone

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/02 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my previous post, I was discounting the cost of a PSD oil change at $34 and a gasser oil change of $12 and using 5000 mile oil changes for both. With the new oils I really don't think I need to change at 3000 miles like I always have done.

Starting in 2002, Ford has went with a new 100K mile Gold colored coolant with no additives needed between coolant changes for the PSD. We don't know whos making the new coolant so Ford is the supplier right now at $11/gal. I'm hoping that before I hit 100k we'll have a secondary supplier at a lower $$$ cost per gallon.

Decisions Descisions, ain't it fun!!!

T_Bone
02 F350, 4x6, CC, DRW, PSD, 6spd, 3:73
32ft Serria 10yr 100% Solar
Please do not trust everything you read on the internet. Use only valid engineering information from well established Companys.
Buy UNION Work UNION
It pays off in the long run !

dlmitch

Locust Grove/Ga, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/02 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any web sites you guys would know of that would have more info on this subject/debate.
Thanks,
David

mike b

Lower Al.

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/02 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

David,
Hey nice to see someone else from locust grove.You might try www.ford-diesel.com the site has forums for both diesel and gas engines.

mike b

04 Laredo 28RE
3/4 ton GMC

dlmitch

Locust Grove/Ga, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/02 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input guys. Today we picked up our new F250 SD PSD 2WD. My wife says I get a silly grin every time the sucker fires up.
Thanks,
David

ponydroptop65

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/02 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel fuel anywhere I've been is far cheaper than gasoline. Pulling a trailer, it's actually more convienent to fill up with diesel because most of the diesel pumps are situated with much larger vehciles in mind than fill up at gas pumps. The diesel engine will allow you to pull more with over 500 ft lbs of torque and you will get better mileage. The diesel also has a 5 yr 100,000 mile warranty, where the V10 does not. Downside: If you opt fot the automatic, there is zero engine braking.

TomF350

Trona Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/02 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ponydroptop65, I just wanted to throw my .02 in and I'm going to disagree with you and say that a good motorcraft, Napa Gold, Wix, etc. premium filter is a better filter and is worth the investment as it has a lot more filter element than a wal-mart standard Fram filter. I use Delo 400 which is a great oil and Rotella is also a good oil.

2002 F-350,PSD,CC,LWB,auto

ponydroptop65

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/02 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, regarding the oil filter for the diesel, go to Walmart. A Motorcraft filter cost $9.95.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F250 V10 or diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.