Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Recent Mods

Posted By: DABAT on 05/13/09 11:20pm

Here are some of my recent mods, most of which are ideas I got from this forum. I have a few more to do(large invertor, solar, etc.)and will post as I proceed.
First the toolbox idea someone else posted on here.
[image]
[image]
Shocks which I have always thought about(even on my utility trailer). I only installed on one axle just to see what difference it would make, and much, much better handling and ride. I will definetely install on second axle.
[image]
Made a trailer hitch for the bike rack. Hard to tell by the pic, but most of the strength is from a 2x2 welded to the frame of the trailer, the hitch box is also welded to the bumper (which I reinforced). I also welded on anchors to tie the bikes to which will decrease the bouncing around of the bikes.
[image]
In this pic, you can also see the backup lights I installed last year. There are invaluable when backing up at night. I turn them on with a toggle switch mounted on the tongue.
[image]
[image]
This one is where I store hitch when not on the truck. I had a hitch box(cut off an old receiver) and mounted it to the tongue under the toolbox. I did have to buy a locking hitch pin so that I would not tempt anyone,
[image]

* This post was last edited 05/14/09 12:04am by DABAT *

09 F350 DIESEL CREW CAB
08 JAYCO 26BHS G2
02 ADVENTURER 90FWS

Posted By: SooperDaddy on 05/13/09 11:23pm

Sound great..some of those thing's I've wanted to do (back-up lights) but haven't yet! By the way, the pics aren't loading! Sorry!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. ">

Posted By: mobeewan on 05/13/09 11:43pm

Yeap, no pics for me just X's.

Posted By: mike77leprechaun on 05/14/09 12:06am

I got the pics. NICE mods!

Current Rig: 2018 Forest River Salem 32BHI Towed with a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4-5.7 Hemi/4x4/3.92/8 Speed Auto

"You should really invest in a Diesel 1 ton to properly tow that popup"

Posted By: SJStrait on 05/14/09 03:18am

Nice work. cool mods.

Steve & Lisa Strait & the rest of the gang.
99 GMC Suburban
07 28' Freedom Spirit bunk house
The Adirondacks are our back yard

Posted By: fla-gypsy on 05/14/09 03:38am

Nice work and pics

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Posted By: swebber on 05/14/09 05:08am

I agree..nice work, great execution and perfect pics...Thanks !!

I never thought about using the side mount toolbox on the tongue...will look into that for ours !

Steve Webber
2013 RAM 3500 Dually, 6.7 Cummins and all the bells and whistles
2009 Jayco Eagle 324BHDS "CramalotInn III",Reese DCHP, Atwood 3500, BAL Deluxe Chocks, Weber Baby Q & Q200, Champion 2000W Inverter & 4000W gennie's
My Camping Pic's

Posted By: axlloy on 05/14/09 05:28am

nice!

ok, my question is - how much weight does the tool box add to the tongue - does one have to worry too much about that - thought i would be a great place for the batteries (as you have done), plus the cut off switch - hitch stuff and some wood blocks --- but fear overloading the hitch and changing the tongue weight too much.

other quesiton - what aobut ventilation for the batteries? did you add any to the box - the hydrogen (?) gas thing?

Posted By: DABAT on 05/14/09 08:51am

As far as tongue weight, I have not yet checked it, but I am also adding a gel battery at the rear of the trailer and that hitch also weighs about 50lbs. As for venting the batteries, I did vent the box on the bottom

Posted By: mecreature on 05/14/09 09:10am

Looks great.. That would be some sweet storage for me.

Posted By: fornarog on 05/14/09 10:23am

Did you use a prefab kit to mount your shocks, or did you make these and if so, how?

Here is the box I added, total cost to me under $60.
[image]

Here is a pic of the base i made for it. I just slip it into a receiver hitch bolted on the back bumper. The box holds my slinkies, dougnut, sewer adapters, etc.
[image]

Thanks,

Greg

Greg

1976 Starcrafte Galaxy 8 Pop-up

1 Wonder Beagle
1 Lab/Golden
1 Bijon with an attitude

Posted By: 502monte on 05/14/09 10:26am

Where did you get the box from??

Posted By: djtkach on 05/14/09 11:55am

DABAT - approximately how much time did it take you to do the shocks and how painful was it? Any tips / lessons learned that you would change if you had to do it again?

Very nice mods!!!

2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2008 KZ Spree 290BHS

Posted By: fornarog on 05/15/09 06:21am

502monte wrote:

Where did you get the box from??

Don't know if you are refering to my black Stanley box or the diamond plated truck box at the top of the post, so sorry if I am answering the wrong question[emoticon]

I purchased the black Stanley box at Home Depot. It came with wheels and a handle (neither of which I wanted) but the box was the right size and height so I bought it. I got it for $30, but I think the regular price was $50. I negotiated down with the HD person by telling them it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Posted By: pacificnw on 05/15/09 08:15am

Where did you put your propane tanks after mounting the truck box?

Posted By: bamaram2002 on 05/15/09 08:23am

I would love to put a box like that on the front of my Coyote, but simply can't figure it up where I can find enough room for anything bigger than what would hold the batteries and that would be an expensive battery box. The front of the body angles up and forward too much from bottom so that the height of the box would be limited to 12" to be able to open the lid at all.

Mike, Michele, Hannah (13) and Elijah (10)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab
2003 KZ Coyote 23CT
Family Travel Photo Album

Posted By: graycamps on 05/15/09 08:33am

Does the box affect the turning radius

Posted By: DABAT on 05/15/09 08:55am

djtkach wrote:

DABAT - approximately how much time did it take you to do the shocks and how painful was it? Any tips / lessons learned that you would change if you had to do it again?

Very nice mods!!!

It took me about 30 minutes to plan it out and about 20 minutes per side. Real quick and easy. The most painful part was drilling a hole in my frame. I would not do anyting different.

Posted By: DABAT on 05/15/09 08:58am

bamaram2002 wrote:

I would love to put a box like that on the front of my Coyote, but simply can't figure it up where I can find enough room for anything bigger than what would hold the batteries and that would be an expensive battery box. The front of the body angles up and forward too much from bottom so that the height of the box would be limited to 12" to be able to open the lid at all.

Sounds like the exact problem I had, lots of research on net to find a box that would work.

Posted By: DABAT on 05/15/09 08:59am

pacificnw wrote:

Where did you put your propane tanks after mounting the truck box?

I just had to move the tanks forward about 1 inch, just enough to clear the box with the cover on the tanks

Posted By: DABAT on 05/15/09 09:02am

graycamps wrote:

Does the box affect the turning radius

I thought it would but I can put the truck at almost 90 degrees to the trailer(probably about 85 degrees), which is plenty. That was my biggest fear about putting a tool box on the tongue as I have to almost jack knife the trailer to get out of the driveway.

Posted By: dave_smith on 05/15/09 09:39am

Very nice! I did the same thing to store my hitch...great minds think alike, eh?[emoticon]

I'm going to steal your idea for the bike tie-downs. Need to figure out a way to get around my fancy bumper cover but it would sure minimize the bouncing!

Regards,
Dave & Kristi Smith
----------------------
2013 Arctic Fox 29-5K FW
2011 Ford F350 Lariat
Visit our RV site!

Posted By: RVbikers on 05/15/09 11:12am

Awesome tool box. I want to do the same thing to store my WD bars & wood blocks. Like one of the other posts, i need to find the right box, the front of my TT has quite an angle on it.

thanks for sharing the pics, good work.

Keep true to the vision living in your head.
Jim & Evelyn
2015 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7L
2016 Prime Time Spartan 1242X
2012 Street Glide (his)
2004 Fatboy (hers)

Posted By: DABAT on 05/15/09 11:56am

I have a couple of pm requesting the part number of the toolbox, it is a DeeZee # DZ8768. Thanks all for the comments

Posted By: MI.-mansion on 05/16/09 05:55pm

I put a truck box in bed of my truck to hold my hitch equip. and tool box. Works good, I also have a jack and wheel chocks and a little extraa room for some other stuff. I ws thinking about adding a box like the plastic tote from HD to lock down my battery and hold my leveling blocks and maybe some firewood.
By the way, our first trip will be this weekend, we are brand new campers and I've found alot of great tips on here. Thanks

Posted By: MI.-mansion on 05/16/09 06:03pm

Oh yeah, with the box and tow equipment in the bed of the truck you always have it with you just in case there is something else you need to tow - you never know.

Posted By: Jerry9n on 05/16/09 06:04pm

I liked the idea so I am in the process of doing the same. My space is pretty limited but I got a 48" box from Lowes and I got it to fit by moving the tanks as far forward as I could. I can't use a hard cover on them, which is a trade off, but the storage will be nice for blocking, chocks and the like. Still work in progress. One thing I found out looking at box dimensions, they give you the depth of the box, but the lid overhangs the box on the top making it deeper and it takes another inch or so on the hinge side to open it, so like the one I bought says it is 11.6" deep but it actually takes 13" to fit it in. Also make sure you have enough depth for the battery which is just over 7".

Jerry9n
2009 23' Cikira Escape EXP
2006 Ford Expedition
Reese Pro Series SC
Tekonsha Primus IQ
HTT Mods

Print  |  Close