|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> XP Camper vs. Outfitter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Murgatroid

Nevada City, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/09 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btggraphix wrote:

I wonder how many a year he'll have to make and sell, be successful. For the right niche, it's great. The question is how big the niche is.....I hope they do well.

That is an interesting question. Obviously, the XP is not for everyone. It's competition is more overland and expedition, in which case it's priced aggressively. How big is this market? It's hard to say. ************ I"d also be curious to know how much Carl Isner and others have spent on their similar setups. It wouldn't surprise me if it were similar.

Marc basically built it for himself since he wasn't happy with what was available. It sounds like he doesn't intend to try to make a killing at it, but is offering it to other like-minded folks for a little more than it costs him to make. The shell alone will cost him over $10K, but it is stronger than anything else out there, and weighs less than a 4 Wheel Camper Hawk shell. I am excited to see something bold and unique and my hat is off to him for having the cojones to put it together.

-steve

* This post was edited 05/20/09 03:54pm by an administrator/moderator *

2009 Northern Lite 9.6Q Classic
2012 Cyclone 300C
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB CTD 2WD for towing
2004 Ford F250 ExCab LB P/S 4WD for hauling

alwayshappy

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/09 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

murgatriod wrote:

Even with the basement design sitting higher on a flatbed, the overall height is similar to my Outfitter.

I believe the heights look very different.

You cleary have a 2wd Dodge at stock height. The XP looks to be on a 4wd Dodge with 35" inch tires and a front leveling kit of some sort, would be my guess. The XP looks close to the same height as your rig ready for off road travel.

Murgatroid

Nevada City, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/09 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are correct, of course. I thought of that after I pressed the Post button.

alwayshappy wrote:

I believe the heights look very different.

You cleary have a 2wd Dodge at stock height. The XP looks to be on a 4wd Dodge with 35" inch tires and a front leveling kit of some sort, would be my guess. The XP looks close to the same height as your rig ready for off road travel.

18seeds

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/09 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice comparison. The XP is def NOT your typical RV. If you compare the XP to the typical Overland/Expedition vehicle it is priced nicely IMO.

The $$$$ people drop on expedition vehicles is insane.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo DIESEL

Beddows

Abbotsford, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/09 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had several conversations with Marc. He is having trouble getting the word out about this camper, but its a good fit for a niche market. Unfortunately its come on the market at a time when the RV industry is in a slump. I wish him well. It looks like a great product.

rjsurfer

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/09 05:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree + $70,000 and no truck = DOA

Ron W.

03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

trails2004

Outside

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/09 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice- I need to ask is the XP a TC or Mini C? I'm not intending to flame anyone- To me the XP looks more to be a Hybrid type mini C

Wikpedia

Wiki - writes
In North America the term truck camper and its derived acronym, TC, are generally used to refer to any recreational vehicle or RV that may be carried in the bedof a pickup truck. In North America, this RV type is sometimes known as a slide-in or cab-over.

Note in the bed and not on the bed ??

Murgatroid

Nevada City, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/09 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trails,

The XP is easily removable off the flat bed of the truck. I would call this a truck camper and not a C. C's also have a way of getting from the cab to the camper inside the vehicle. While Wiki is a good source, I wouldn't consider it the final literal arbiter of info.

-steve

trails2004 wrote:

Very nice- I need to ask is the XP a TC or Mini C? I'm not intending to flame anyone- To me the XP looks more to be a Hybrid type mini C

Wikpedia

Wiki - writes
In North America the term truck camper and its derived acronym, TC, are generally used to refer to any recreational vehicle or RV that may be carried in the bedof a pickup truck. In North America, this RV type is sometimes known as a slide-in or cab-over.

Note in the bed and not on the bed ??

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/09 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

XP Camper Video

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/09 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not everybody wants to convert the truck bed into a flat bed. I wonder how much that will affect sales.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> XP Camper vs. Outfitter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.