|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Going to the Sun and Beyond in a TC

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Next
Sponsored By:
TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/09 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't stand exploring the rock bound coast of Maine and all of New England again this summer [emoticon] so we are headed west. We so enjoyed our trip out west last summer that we are heading that way to explore more. House sitter is available, the aged folks in our family are well and we are still upright and walking so time to go.

Here is the planned, yet tentative, route from Maine to Glacier National Park. We'll probably drop down and go over the Beartooth and then north to Glacier.

[image]

[image]

Any and all suggestions of special places for TCs along the way would be appreciated. I've got a big file of printed off messages from TC forum here on RV.NET but you who live or travel this route will surely know good events, places. We will be trying to stay in state parks, rest areas, Corps of Engineers, free places, etc. We like history, geology, archeology.

Going to the Sun road is the reason for the Glacier trip. We know we cannot drive it in the TC and probably will just take a jammer bus. I think the F-350 DRW will fit on the road but we want to enjoy the scenery, not have to watch every inch of the drops off the road.

After Glacier, if we are still talking (TCs are small!) and the legs are holding up, we'll head for the Oregon coast. I've always wanted to see Oregon and also visit some friends and relatives there. My saved messages file is even bigger for this area. Here's the tentative route. Suggestions and alternates appreciated.

[image]

Yes I know but we'll save BC and Alaska for another year.

* This post was edited 05/25/09 07:09am by TwoMaineiacs *

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

Dome

Southwest Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/09 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your route stays the same and you head west on the Washington side of the Columbia River, you will pass Cathlamet WA. on your way to the coast. Stop in, you will like our little village. Have a great trip.

bradyk

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/09 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you take some time in the Dakotas, Northern Wyoming, Montana etc. You can see Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Yellowstone, The Badlands, Deadwood (Old western stuff here). If at Yellowstone in Cody Wyoming there is a good museum of old civil war and western relics and guns from the old western days as well. Stop in at some underground caves and caverns in those areas, see the mtn where close encounters was filmed and many more things before you hit Glacier park area. If you see it all it will take several days just to get through the Dakotas, Wyoming and get to Montana and spend time enjoying the mountains.

2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/09 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! Looking good!

This looks like a route that will take you through some very interesting areas like Minnesota, for example:

-the Jeffers petroglyphs (spans about 5000 years of pre-history). This site is spectacular (near Hwy 71). A great walking trail, visitor's center and many interpretive lectures; here-->

Some of the hundreds of glyphs on enormous exposed on Paleozoic rock inscribed in the Archaic period (6000~~1000 BC):

[image]

Tornado watch just came in on our NOAA weather (GMRS) radios:

[image]

Cheers,
Sand & Dunes

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

MERC225

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/09 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TwoMaineiacs,

I would like to suggest rather than taking the interstate across the country, go a bit north and take US HWY 2 across northern Wisconsin, I live in NW Wisconsin on the shores of Lake Superior, it is truly a pretty drive. You will drive along the shores of Lake Superior (largest of the great lakes) and when you cross into Minnesota the sites will be as good. Around Ashland WI you could take a small detour and head 25 miles north and see the Apostle Islands National lake shore, another can't miss oportunity as long as your headed this direction. US HWY 2 is a great 2 lane highway, we did the same trip from NW Wisconsin to Glacier NP 2 years ago, and we are heading that way in 3 weeks to purchase a brand new truck camper in MT and will take Hwy 2 the entire way. You will truly enjoy the ride, and see much better sites staying off the large interstate, not to mention get better fuel mileage at the same time. If you would like more information in regards to NW Wisconsin, PM me, I can fill you in, it is "God's" country!! Very pretty!

Dave

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad cab long box, 5.7 Hemi, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Rancho MyRide system, Supersprings, Roadmaster rear sway bar.
2008 S&S 9.5 FBSC camper

Itchey Feet

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/09 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My only suggestion is that when you hit the North Dakota border is to get off of the interstate system and travel the (2) lane roads. You did not mention time involved but the things you see and places visit along the way are things most people will NEVER see because they are on the FAST TRACK to a destination that is going to be there later in the day or even a couple of days later. JMHO

My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

travelinglane

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/09 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Anne -

When you get to Spokane, if you head for Olympia, WA instead of going south, you can take the road north along the Hood Canal and go to Sequim, Port Angeles, around Olympic National Park to the West side to go to the Hoh Rain Forest, down the coast through Forks and then get back to OR after going to the Long Beach Peninsula in WA. (Whoops! Earlier I told you "Long Island", but meant Long Beach..).Drive over the bridge into Astoria and continue on your trip to the OR Coast, which is great.

Looks like you will have a great trip! I wish I had gone to Glacier National Park a long time ago when there were many more, and bigger glaciers. Saw on Nat'l Geographic that there are only around 12 left! Scary - global warming.

Michigan Rod

Troy,MI.,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/09 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a great trip. When you're in S.D. try to stay a couple days in Custer State Park. They have the best water so fill up your tank there. Drive around to see herds of wild Buffalo. The Little Bighorn Battlefield Natl. Mon. is another must see. When at Glacier sign up at the Visitors Center for the all day tour in the "Little Red Bus" which is actually a big convertable. They make lots of stops for pictures and the views are awesome. East side entrance at Saint Mary to start. Do you have your "Golden Age Passport" yet?
While you're in Michigan and have the time you could visit Mackinac Island at St. Ignace. Also stop at Munising and take the boat tour of "The Pictured Rocks".

* This post was edited 05/25/09 08:13am by Michigan Rod *

2003Chevy LT3500,crew cab,4x4,Duramax/Allison,Firestone air bags w/in cab controls,Rancho RS 9000X shocks,cabover struts,Happijac tiedowns.Rhino bed liner. ReeseTowBeast.
2004 Lance 1161,generator,sofa,twin beds,rear observation camera,Chet's AirFoil

travelinglane

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/09 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you going to Mackinaw Island in MI? Looks like you might be. No cars allowed, but a great place to visit.

Mooney

Santa Barbara, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/09 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't mind heading South from Oregon, Yosemite is a site to see.

'08 Ford F550, Lariat, Link Air Suspension, Roll-A-Long Conversion, Twin Turbo 6.4, TorkLifts, SuperHitch, "Monster Duty Truckasaurus"
'09 Host Everest, Dual Pane, AM Solar, Link 1000,Prosine2.0,Tank Htrs,Honda EV4010,HD Motosat,Wave 6.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Going to the Sun and Beyond in a TC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.