|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Josie97

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/09 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sparker1 wrote:

Before these working people correct you, let me point out that, for a retiree, ND may be on the way from Florida to Pittsburgh.

I can't wait to get the full retiree map of the United States. I hear its beats the working man's verision hands down. [emoticon]

04 F-150 Super Crew FX4, 5.4L, 3.73
06 Starwood SL 30CKS
Hensley Arrow
DW, DS, DD,
GSD

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/09 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Josie97 wrote:

The stories I've been told about Florida is you won't fit in unless your over 70 or speak Spanish fluently. I don't fit either category so, I guess I have one less state to visit.

Actually it over 60...

Maybe neither of us can rely completely on all of those campfire stories we are told…

But thanks for the information…

sparker1 wrote:

Before these working people correct you, let me point out that, for a retiree, ND may be on the way from Florida to Pittsburgh.

After a while I sometimes forget there is that language barrier…

you may have prevented me from being burned at the stake… thanks…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

pompano

Up North and Down South

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/09 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just completed a cross-country trip of about 3500 miles. From our home in Baja Sur to Pacific Coast to Montana to Lake of the Woods, Minnesota...naturally driving thru North Dakota.

We knew we were in North Dakota because this is the first place that an uncoming driver WAVED at us. A real-person thing.

Guess that says something about a special place. I won't recommend the state, because I am selfishly hoping it doesn't change.

redhawk23229

Virginia Beach, VA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/09 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TRNP is well worth a stay of a couple of days. At the CG in the north unit we had bison bigger than a VW just wander through our site. Awesome views from the top of the main road. No h/u in the CG, but most of us can live without them for a few days.

Ft. Union Trading Post NHS and the Missouri-Yellowstone Confluence Center just east of the MT border (near Buford) are worth a visit too.

We are history buffs, so stops at the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center and Ft. Mandan near Washburn were most enjoyable.

We stayed at Fort Abraham Lincoln SP near Mandan and highly recommend it. It was from this fort that Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer and the Seventh Cavalry rode out on their ill-fated expedition against the Sioux at the Little Big Horn. Portions of the military post, including the Custer House, have been reconstructed.

Carol & H. T.
2003 Lazy Daze Mid Bath

pompano

Up North and Down South

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/09 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

redhawk...it wasn't just the local Sioux fighting the Battle of the Little Big Horn, it was also the Cheyenne. Chief Rain in the Face of the Cheyenne was a notable warrior alongside Chief Crazy Horse, Sioux Nation.

The battlefiend still has an eerie feeling to it. A good place to visit and remember the past.

cruiserjs

Mesa AZ/ openroad

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/09 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me&Margie wrote:

Previous posters have pretty much covered the southern part of the state. I'd like to suggest going north a bit and check out the International Peace Garden, although as of today you will need a passport or an EDL/EID to get back into the USA.

You do NOT need a passport to enjoy the Int. Peace Park. Within the Park you can literally walk across the border as often as you like!

Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

pompano

Up North and Down South

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/09 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cruiserjs is correct. We stayed at the Intl. Peace Gardens campground just 4 nights ago. It is located just north of the town of Dunseith, ND. The entrance to the park is just before you get to Canadian Customs. No identification of any kind was required. The nightly rate was $22 for a full hookup, plus a $10 entrance fee to the Peace Gardens. This was charged by the province of Manitoba. A very huge park, we were one of 3 campers we saw that night..very serene place. We were impressed with the acreage and many facilities found here.

The music festivals draw much bigger crowds later in July and August. The flower gardens are world-class.

When leaving the next morning we were required to show passports to cross into Manitoba, Canada. And also 1 day later when reentering North Dakota at US Customs.

hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/09 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Medora is a great stop. We enjoyed the pagent and the pitchfork fondue. Don't remember much about the campground, but we got up early in the morning and drove a ways into the Badlands then returned to the camper & got ready for the day. We saw wild horses, buffalo all over the road, antelope and several other kinds of wildlife. Nice.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/09 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For North Dakota
If you need a campground in Bismarck or Mandan and if you can get into General Sibley Park my son said it was really nice, but was filled up when they were there. General Sibley

They stayed at a small place in Mandan. Colonial Motel & Campgrounds 4631 Memorial Hwy, Mandan - (701) 663-9824 We had passed by it in 2007. It is in a commerical area, not very resort like from the entrance off Memorial Hwy, however later on we rode by the back side on a bike path and it looked good. As it turned out it had water, electric and sewer hookup for $19. The bike path leads accross the river and by the zoo and a nice park. On the Google map, the location is off in this map. Motel is on the other side of the over pass close to 46th Ave.

From the web site Gen. Sibley is $20 with water and electric but the setting is much better. Closer to the river. Both have trees. At Colonial the sites are very close together. Sibley they are space out. Sibley has over 100, Colonial maybe 20. It did not fill up while my son was there.

Fort Lincoln State Park also has a nice campground & neat things to see (It was where Gen. Custer was living before he went on his last ride):
4480 Fort Lincoln Rd
Mandan, ND 58554
(701) 667-6340?
Fort Lincoln

In July of 2007, we stayed at the KOA Bismarck, over priced and dusty. We had passed the Colonial campground but it did not look very inviting from the entrance, but seemed OK from the back. Not a bad price with water, electric and sewer for $19.

On the western side of North Dakota, Theodore Roosevelt National Park is very worthwhile to see. The colorful Little Missouri River Badlands provides the scenic backdrop to the park & home to a variety of prairie plants and animals including bison, prairie dogs, pronghorn, elk, mule deer and wild feral horses. The South Unit entrance is in Medora, ND. Medora is accessible via Interstate 94 Exits 24 and 27 in North Dakota. Medora is 133 miles west of Bismarck, ND and 27 miles east of the Montana state line. The Painted Canyon Visitor Center is located 7 miles east of Medora on I-94 at Exit 32. Camping
Cottonwood Campground - South Unit Cottonwood
Juniper Campground - North Unit Juniper
Things to do

Off of North Dakota Hwy 5, Lake Metigoshe State Park which is on the border with Canada about 10 miles north of Bottineau, ND. A very nice campgound in the woods (hard to find in ND at times) and up in some hills called the Turtle Mts. All very pretty, nice lake with bike/hiking trail, boating, fishing. Lake M SP It is not far from the International Peace Garden on the U.S. and Canadian border. http://www.peacegarden.com/

There is also Turtle River State Park located 22 miles west of Grand Forks on Highway 2. Turtle River

* This post was last edited 09/27/09 01:46pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

keyhole51walleye

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/09 05:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just left ND after our first trip there and loved the Garrison Dam Downtream campground and Lake Sakakawea. We will definitly return and stay longer next time!

http://mandrbrackin.blogspot.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.