|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fueling around

NW MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/09 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andy Pat wrote:

Wow !! Can't believe no one suggested on your way across ND, the Enchanted hwy. and the steak fondue followed by the stage show at Medora. Not to be missed if your in the area.

Andy
I lumped most of that in "Don't miss Medora". If you go to Medora website it has all the attractions.
I couldn't remember the road number to enchanted highway. Kinda pointless to post about a great place and not tell them where to find it?

Blulund

Fargo, ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/09 05:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow!!!

Not much respect here for my home state.lol Guess the only time we make the news is when we are snowed in or flooding, by the way, it was 90 degrees here yesterday so don't believe all the cold weather jokes.[emoticon]

A couple of places you might want to stop and see as you travel across our great state are the Buffalo Museum in Jamestown, they have a nice facility and a herd of live buffalo including a couple of rare white ones. Next would be the state historical center in Bismarck, it is located on the grounds of the state capitol and gives a good idea of what life was like on the early days of the prairie. Be sure and walk around the outside grounds and see the sculptures of horses and buffalo made of steel. Another interesting stop in that area is the Custer house located just south on Mandan. It is where General Custer was living at the time of The Battle of the Little Bighorn.

A little further down the road is Dickinson where there is a excellent museum on Dinosaurs, many dinosaur skeletons including complete T-Rexes have been found in western ND and make sure you plan for a meal at The Trappers Kettle in Belfield.

Medora is our biggest tourist attraction, it is straight out of the old west, wooden sidewalks and all. The Medora Musical is good summer stock theater and don't miss the pitchfork fondue. It is on the southern boundary of Theodore Roosevelt National Park in the middle of the Little Missouri Badlands. If you like to golf they have an excellent course and you can take trail rides etc. Lots to do and see in Medora.

If you are arriving on I-94 from the east, be sure and stop at the covention and visitor's bureau site located in Fargo. It is located at the 45th street exit on I-94, it is on the north side of the Interstate and is shaped like a white grain elevator. They have all kinds of information about things to see and do here in North Dakota.

As for the Enchanted highway, it is well worth the drive and runs from I-94 south to Regent ND, it is exit 72 about 20 miles east of Dickinson.

Hope this info helps and enjoy your stay here, we have plenty of blue skies and wide open spaces just waiting for your enjoyment.

Bob M

2006 F350 DRW, King Ranch, 4x4 6.0 PSD
Bailey the rescued Golden Retriever (At the Rainbow Bridge 5-12-2009)
2007 Escalade 37 REB Fifth Wheel
2001 25 ft Sportcraft

May I be half the man my dog thinks I am!!!

Wildcat63

MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/09 06:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think North Dakota is probably the only state in the lower 48 which gets more Cold and Snow grief than Minnesnowta....

We have had relatives ask in June if the Snow has all melted.......

Wildcat63
07 Coachmen Clipper Classic 1070ST

SRT

Head of the Lakes, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/09 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wildcat63 wrote:

I think North Dakota is probably the only state in the lower 48 which gets more Cold and Snow grief than Minnesnowta....

We have had relatives ask in June if the Snow has all melted.......

Hey, we had liquid snow yesterday afternoon with the temp of 41*. But we needed the moisture.[emoticon]

nosaint3

Sioux Falls,SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/09 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drove through the state a few years back and enjoyed my stay at Devils Lake. Found a little history also in military forts of old. Also TR national park. I actually camped in Montana and drove back to Teddy Roosevelt SP as I already had reservations.

nosaint3

Me&Margie

Stanwood, Wa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/09 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Previous posters have pretty much covered the southern part of the state. I'd like to suggest going north a bit and check out the International Peace Garden, although as of today you will need a passport or an EDL/EID to get back into the USA.

Marv
'07 Cardinal 31RKLE
'06 F-250 PSD 4X2 S/C, Hijacker, Line-X.

Shelbel

Moorhead, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/09 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wcferb wrote:

The city campground in Fargo is very nice, in the city park and by the river. We have stopped there several times and enjoyed the park.

It's called Lindenwood Park. I live in Moorhead, MN which is the twin city to Fargo, ND. As much as I agree with previous posters comments about the weather (yes, it really does get that cold here--in the winter) there is more to ND than just a flat plain. TRNP is definitely a place of interest as well as Medora. I personally haven't been out to Western ND, so I can't comment much on that.

If you're coming this way for a ND trip, you should try to loop SD Black Hills/Badlands to your itin too!

Shelbel
Ryan
3 sons (11,10,6) and a basset hound

2005 Ford Expedition
2009 Rockwood Roo 232

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/09 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I would like to visit the fine state of ND some time…

What I am able to gather about the weather is that it is predictably unpredictable…

With freezing temps possible well in to June on occasion and the possibility of them returning in August along with many record highs in the three digits, I have had to scratch it as a destination… there is just no way I could haul enough of the DW’s clothes to cover those extremes…

Aside from and because of sitting through some football games in Green Bay she has little desire to go that direction any time soon…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Josie97

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/09 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JJBIRISH wrote:

While I would like to visit the fine state of ND some time…

What I am able to gather about the weather is that it is predictably unpredictable…

With freezing temps possible well in to June on occasion and the possibility of them returning in August along with many record highs in the three digits, I have had to scratch it as a destination… there is just no way I could haul enough of the DW’s clothes to cover those extremes…

Aside from and because of sitting through some football games in Green Bay she has little desire to go that direction any time soon…

I was stationed at Minot AFB 2 for a total of 4 years and never experienced what you are talking about. It does get cool in the evenings, but that is what campfires are for. We camped from Apr-Oct no problem. Besides how much room does a sweathshirt really take up?

04 F-150 Super Crew FX4, 5.4L, 3.73
06 Starwood SL 30CKS
Hensley Arrow
DW, DS, DD,
GSD

Josie97

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/09 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Near Grand Forks is an museum centered around an old Minuteman Missile launch facility. If you take US-52 North from Jamestown to Minot you will wind through beautiful country side. It is just about time for the flax (purple flowers), canola (yellow flowers) to be blanketing the country like a beautiful quilt. Rugby is the geographical center of North America. Minot has a magnificant Scandanavian Village.

The downstream campground at Garrison Dam is a Corps of Engineers run campground very clean and well maintained, and quiet. You can fish the Missouri river for walleye. You can tour the dam and national fish hatchery that are with 2 minutes of the campground. You can visit the Lewis and Clark Interpretive center in Washburn 20 minutes from the campground. You can drive the Lewis and Clark trail, you have drive on it to get to the campground.

It is festival season so you might be able to visit a local threshing show.
These are in addition to the other recommendations posted above.

I have found the people that knock North Dakota the most have never been there. The only thing that brought us out of North Dakota was aging grandparents in the midwest.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.