|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Where to Stay Mt. Rushmore

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bamaram2002

Central Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/09 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just stayed at Horse Thief and can recommend it. Its just down the road from Rafter Bar J that is often mentioned here and too me has a bit more of a campground feel and less of the "resort" feel of Rafter Bar J. But that's more our style. If you want more of a "resort", then I'd go with Rafter Bar J.

Mike, Michele, Hannah (13) and Elijah (10)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab
2003 KZ Coyote 23CT
Family Travel Photo Album

VolFamily

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/09 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for Rafter J Bar...
We stayed in the Upper Ranch area of the cg. Totally treed and private, we were quite surprised by the true "state park cg" feel of it. The cg has five or six different sections all with their own set of amenities (or lack thereof). Check out their website: rafterjbar.com

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/09 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any of the State Park Campgrounds would be nice, some have lakes by them, but you can see which on the site. We have only stayed over by the town of Custer, but it is a large park. My son pulls a 32' 7 5th wheel and I have seen others much larger in the campgrounds we have stayed in. Ours can get into most places without a problem. Most have electric it seems, they are adding them each year. Not sure it that incluces water or not. I thought it did, but not sure. Dump sites are hard to find, not all the campgrounds have them. IMO State Park Campgrounds are the way to go.

We stayed at Stockade Lake South 2 years ago, we got there a few days before the Fourth. (They have the Firework desplays off Mt Rushmore on the 3th of July, we got to see that, but were on the road on the 4th, my son had to be back to work on the 5th) We did not have reservations and we did find two spots at the reservation Stockade North for the first night there. We meet our son & his family there, they are from Minot, ND. We spent one night at Stockade Lake Campground North before moving to the South campground. Some of those sites are on a ridge, very nice campground. South is in more of a hollow, more open. Showers were good in both.

Most of the Custer State Park campgrounds take reservations, most DO have water and electric now, they are adding more each year. They have showers and flush toilets as well.

This past year 2008, we stayed at Bismarck Lake CG a Black Hills Nat'l Forest CG just across the road (kind of) from the Stockade North & South, just a few miles (maybe 3 or 4) from the town of Custer. We enjoyed it, very nice area, very quite, nice camp host. More like camping. The sites are more private than the Stockage South or North for that matter. But no showers or flush toilets (pit toilets were new & clean). Almost the same cost as Stockade North but less for me due to Senior Card. Info

Horse Thief Lake CG is also a Black Hills Nat'l Forest CG, very close to Mt Rushmore. It would be a nice one as well. My son had stayed at it before. A little more costly but in a nice area.

For CG in the Bismarck, ND area (in case you are there & need to stay) Bismarck, ND.

Our trip to Black Hills and more last summer:
'08 Trip

Most of the Custer State Park CGs would be nice.
Custer
Info

Bluebell Campground (Reserved Campground) This one appeared to be a nice place to stay from what I could see passing by it. For your rig this might be the one for you. But those at Stockade will do as well in many of the sites. Not all in all the campgrounds.

Stockade South Campground - CAMPGROUND UNDER CONSTRUCTION (Reserved Campground 2009) Appears not be a first come campground anymore. My son is there now, it has been wet and cold, muddy in places due to recent construction. June 7.
This one would also be neat and will be first come. Center Lake Lower Loop Campground (All First Come/First Served for 2009).

There is an entry fee for the State Park, to be able to use the campgrounds and drive some of the drives. Well worth the cost. Do the Animal viewing drives, the twisty road with tunnels, a lot of things to see and do. Bison and Elk, etc. very neat, even the donkeys.
[image]

We also took our kids there many, many years ago to see Mt. Rushmore. It is a neat place. And go by to see it each time, not always stopping to walk around now.

* This post was edited 06/08/09 12:34pm by DesertHawk *

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Where to Stay Mt. Rushmore
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.