RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Yelowstone best cg?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Marcrum

Bloomingdale,Il

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/09 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going to Yellowstone in June. Looking for a nice campground in the park(nice scenery) to set a home base(30ft travel trailer). Will I need to change locations or will one place do to see the hole park? Thank you!!

Ford E350 7.5L
Corsair 29 Q
Beautiful Wife & 2 Kids

Eurocamper

Salt Lake City, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/09 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best campground? That's a bit like asking "what's the best color?"

For my money the the best scenery is at Pebble Creek campground. It's probably the least centrally-located campground in the park.

Fishing Bridge, the most central campground, has the worst scenery.

2008 Fleetwood Evolution E1
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4
Ex 1997 Volkswagen Eurovan Camper

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/09 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at Grant Village, the last time we were there (before last August-2009), it is huge but nice campground. At the time it was all without hookups...my son stayed at Canyon and it was very nice, somewhat smaller I believe, I understand all without hookups. I would believe I would try it next time. The Nat'l Park web site list what each has and has not, number of sites, hookups or not, etc. There was another one on the west side, I would consider, Norris. The first time we stayed at Bridge Bay in '86. I believe only Fishing Bridge RV has the hookups. But it is more of parking lot campground. To get a better camping experence any of the others would be better in my thinking. We tend not to want full hook-ups, nor feel we must have them.

I believe Canyon would offer excellent scenery, at Grant you may or may not be near to see Yellowstone Lake. Camping

The ones without a Dump Station, I mark off for us. And would like Flush toilets as well, but can go without. Some are harder to get huge RVs into, maybe nice for our little guys (We are in a 16' Scamp) and less crowded.

To see the Park, there is a lot of driving. But we made Grant Campground our base and saw a lot of the park and we did the same using Bridge Bay the first time. We were in a Travel Trailer 20' Komfort Lite both times we visited the area.

If time allows, try to get by Thermopolis (south of Cody) & stop at the State Bath House - In 1896 a treaty was signed with the Shoshone and Arapaho, which gave the public use of one of the largest mineral hot springs in the world. The hot springs was known as having "healing water". There is no fee for using the State Bath House. Very nice when we stopped by it some years ago. Thermo

In Cody try to see the Buffalo Bill Historical Center with Five Museums Under One Roof. Cody
These 4 were really great:
Buffalo Bill Museum
Whitney Gallery of Western Art
Plains Indian Museum
Cody Firearms Museum

North of Cody is the town of Powell which has a free campground at Homesteaders Park. The park was clean, safe and friendly. Dump services are free. Watch out for the lawn sprinklers, they will also water the parking area (soaking your unit). Free

US 14A after the split off of US 14 from Ranchchester heading down hill to Lovell, pulling a 1983 20' Komfort Lite Travel Trailer with a '83 Ford F250 4 speed manuel with granny gear. I had to hold granny in gear and ask my wife to manually apply the trailer brakes now and then. They had a sign warning of the steep down grade, I should have taken the fork to Shell/Greybull. Most of the route was neat, all very pretty execpt for the 14 miles with 10% grade and sharp curves which I am sure was also pretty but I was to occupied to really notice the scenery. 14A
Video

The Colter Bay Visitor Center and Indian Arts Museum by the Colter Bay Campground in the Grand Tetons is really a neat one.
Museum
Colter

A nice place to stay near Cheyenne, Curt Gowdy State Park is a nice place. http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/SiteInfo.asp?siteID=4

As for Grand Canyon in Arizona both sides are really nice, each have their own campgrounds which would be neat to stay in, but are often filled. My daughter & her husband stayed in a tent at the one in the South. We have always stayed in campgrounds out of the park. We found the park on south side by Flagstaff is close to Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument with camping nearby where we have stayed to see the area. (There is no camping in the monument. However, Bonito Campground, operated by the US Forest Service, is located across from the visitor center at Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument. This campground is generally open from late May through mid-October. There are no hook-ups.). There are nice campgrounds on the north side at the park and if full in the Nat'l Forest just before getting into the park. We stayed outside the park when there in summer and park cg was full. Grand Canyon http://www.nps.gov/grca/
Sunset Crater http://www.nps.gov/sucr/

* This post was last edited 02/25/10 08:08pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/09 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Search this Forum for `Yellowstone' in Campgrounds.
It's a hot contest between Fishing Bridge in the Park and Grizzly in West Yellowstone.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Bill & Cathy

Upper Lake, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/09 01:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you talking about June of this year? If so, you may already be too late if you don't have reservations.

Bill/Cathy
Good Sam Life Members, FMCA #F323639, Safari International, Thousand Trails, Safari So Good Club, Safari R Us Club
'02 Safari Zanzibar, 40' DP, 2 Slides, center entry, '03 Suzuki XL7

dibandjohn

Longmont, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/09 05:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marcrum,

Please note that not only five campgrounds in the park are on the reservation system. They are: Bridge Bay; Canyon; Fishing Bridge; Grant; and, Madison Junction. However, those that are not can fill up rather early. You might consider staying close by outside of the park, at least for the first night, and check out what campgrounds are likely to be available. Be aware that they can become filled fairly quickly.

Yellowstone is so large and has so much to be seen that you will probably not be spending great amounts of time at your campsite. The only one that might be disappointing, regarding ambiance, would be Fishing Bridge which has already been properly described as the only one providing hookups.

Go and share a magnificent experience with your family.

Blessings and best wishes.

John & Dibbie

Married 49 yrs. 5 children - 10 grand children

2002 GMC 3500 CrewCab D/A 4x4
2002 HitchHiker Discovery 31-1/2 LKTG

bamaram2002

Central Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/09 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at Bridge Bay last weekend/earlier this week because our first choice - Canyon - wasn't open yet (it is open now). But the Bridge Bay upper, nicer sites were closed because snow was still up there and there were bears in the area - we saw one heading up the hill towards there from the main road. I can tell you that while there are some nice sites in the trees in the upper ends of the lower area loops, the sites up in the upper area are so much nicer - probably as nice as any other campground in the area. It's just a cr@p shoot whether you can get up there.

Mike, Michele, Hannah (13) and Elijah (10)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab
2003 KZ Coyote 23CT
Family Travel Photo Album

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/09 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is my understanding all the campgrounds (except Fishing Bridge) have first come, first served sites. Just have to get there early and see what develops.
I found this on their site: "Availability is first-come, first serve at the following seven campgrounds in Yellowstone National Park: Indian Creek, Lewis Lake, Mammoth, Norris, Pebble Creek, Slough Creek, and Tower Fall. Campgrounds may be filled by 11 a.m.; arrive early to obtain a site. Overnight camping of any type (tent, vehicle, or RV) outside designated campgrounds is not permitted." However, notice the AND/OR in this statement: "Please make your reservations early and/or plan to secure your campsite as early in the day as possible. Campgrounds may fill by early morning, especially during peak season (early July—late August)." Ask at the enty gate if there is any vacant sites before getting if late in the day. As an example we asked when entering from Cody, we stay a night in a near by Forest Service campground and rushed to Grant the next morning. They may have had a sign out stating all campgrounds were full. But we are not pulling 30 feet of Trailer.

Utahtea

San Francisco Bay Area, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/09 12:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Madison Campground is in a forest setting and within walking distance is the Madison River. We like walking down there and cooling our feet in the river. We've seen buffalo off in the distance many times. Madison is also very centrally located for reaching the different areas of the park and the best area for getting to the many geyser areas. With a 30 ft. trailer, you are going to want to make reservations as soon as possible to get a site you can fit in. Madison has a dump station and ice machines. The closest showers will be at Old Faithful.

Mammoth would be ok if you don't mind moving locations. Mammoth is only on a first come first serve basis so you will need to get there very early in the day. Mammoth has pretty open views depending on which site you get. There is no dump station but the town of Mammoth Hot Springs is just up the road a couple of miles. No showers here.

Fishing Bridge is the only campground within the park with full hook ups. It might be to late to get into this campground. The campsites are right on top of each other. We stayed here last year just to try it out for a couple of days. We saw some slide outs almost hitting the RV next to them...it's that close! There are showers and laundry here.

Bridge Bay is not a bad location but when we stay here it's usually because we are dividing our time between here and Madison. Showers are at nearby Fishing Bridge. You will want to make reservations to make sure you get a site.

Canyon campground doesn't really have views because it's a very forested hilly area. We couldn't get our 30 ft motorhome level in the sites that were available so we changed to Bridge Bay.

These are the only campgrounds we've stayed at. Madison is really my favorite but if you don't mind moving, I'd stay at Madison and either Canyon or Bridge Bay.

Utahtea

2006 Allegro DA 28

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.