|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> First Camping Trip This Summer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/09 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shake Down Cruise, First Towin' Double. We did a quick outing in the Scamp the first week of May. We left Monday, May 1, stayed 3 nights up in the Cloudcroft area at a Forest Campground. It was a shake down cruise to see what we needed but didn't remember to pack along. There were a few things. It was great up there, almost the whole campground to ourselves. So nice and cool. The campground was at 9,000 feet (Elevation on a sign posted in the campground said 10,000 but on the Forest Service web site Silver is listed as 9,000 feet). Very dry there as well as here. It was 95 in Las Cruces when we got back. It was mostly in the upper 60s or low 70s up there as highs. I rode my bike some, we went on a hike to see the new Trestle Overlook, only 5 miles, but it was a very steep trail, we enjoyed it. We had a picnic, enjoyed bird watching, enjoyed the cool. We read alot. It was also our first time to Towing Double with the Scamp. Towing my Yamaha XT250 on a small trailer behind the Scamp. I believe it took us longer to get the Egg ready than we were able to camp with washing & waxing the Scamp, loading in supplies not to mention washing & the loading & packing of our new tow (which we were very happy with, loved the power & the room it affords, I really like the cap/shell, it was easy to get into and find what I need). I added a 50" X 9' piece of carpet to the bed which made it much easier on my knees plus it has a rubber matt in the bed & on the tailgate. It was cool, yes, chilly in the mornings, but not cold. We did use the generator/electric heater to warm it up to shower. I found I needed to add an anti-sway bar to the motorcycle trailer and maybe a flag pole (horizonally) to be able to see if it is swaying or not. Cloudcroft is situated at an elevation of just over 8600 feet. I haven't towed the Scamp alone with the Ford F-150 yet, but the on board MPG meter said we got 16.4 mpg, it was up to 17.8 mpg for a while but lost some mpg on the climb over the pass to get home. The little motorcycle trailer tracks right alone with the Scamp. One must give them a little more turning room. Now that it has an anti-sway bar on the MotoHauler, I believe it will be even easier. Towing Double is not legal in all states, but it is in NM as long as you do not go over 65'. I called the NM State Police and asked.
Photos

Is there a way to get a link set up so you just click on it?---I did it! Thanks!

* This post was last edited 06/08/09 12:48am by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

eubank

bosque farms, nm

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/09 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep.
http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll120........wk46/2009%20Travels/?albumview=slideshow

You can manually surround your textual link with the special codes indicating a url. Or you can use the advanced posting form and use the clickable link generator there. The result is the same either way.

Nice pics, by the way. I've heard that it's pretty dry down there. Have the recent rains helped it out any?

[emoticon]
Lynn

Pics and stuff at my Flickr pages

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/09 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Lynn. Yes, they have. They lifted the fire bans in Lincoln Nat'l Forest & Gila, I believe as well. We'll see how long it will last. Keeping our fingers crossed the Monsoons come on time this year.

Now if I can figure out what you told me to do, maybe I can follow suit. Ha!

* This post was edited 06/07/09 10:28pm by DesertHawk *

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/09 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pics thanks

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> First Camping Trip This Summer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.