RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Like to tell me where to go?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Like to tell me where to go?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
bobcouch

Southeast Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/09 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This summer, probably sometime in late July, the wife and I plan to start our next trip. We will be leaving the Houston area going to Arizona, possibly with a stop at Big Bend NP (we honeymooned there -tent camping- 44 years ago and haven’t been back since). We want to go to Tucson and Sedona and from there probably either the Kayenta area or the North Rim of Grand Canyon. After that, stops in Southern Colorado and/or northern New Mexico. Then back toward home with a stop along the Gulf, probably in the Matagorda area.
We are in our 60’s, enjoy scenery, nature, history etc. but have some physical limitations which mean we don’t “rough it” anymore. We are up for short hikes, but nothing too strenuous.
With that in mind, we would really appreciate some suggestions on places to stop/ places to see that are along or near that route. What we’re looking for are places (not necessarily out-of-the-way) we haven’t already been.
Over the years, we’ve been to Carlsbad, White Sands, Mesa Verde, 4 Corners (before it moved [emoticon]) Durango, Silverton, Palo Duro Canyon, etc. Most of them more than once.
We don’t object to re-visiting any of the major landmarks and attractions, but would love to see suggestions of spots we probably bypassed on the way to the popular stops.
Any suggestions????

* This post was edited 06/08/09 04:03pm by bobcouch *

Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

bigdaddogg1

Martinez, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/09 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I left your area last week and I'm in Phoenix area now visiting my grandkids and those two other people they live with...LOL

I'm staying here two weeks and we're going to do some day trips down to the Tucson area....Old Tucson (they love that place), Tombstone, and a couple of water parks around Phoenix. I'm not a big water park person, but it's hitting a 100 degrees here already and I figure I can float around the lazy river ride for a couple of hours while they go do their thing.

Then I'm taking them camping for a week. We're going to stay in Williams, AZ and use that as a base for some more day trips. I let them plan the itinerary, and surprisingly, they didn't do too bad! We're going to Meteor Crater in Winslow for a day, the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, Jerome Ghost Town, Sedona, and some Safari Park south of Sedona (I got outvoted on that one.) Seems to be a lot to do in this area within about an hour or so of Williams. We're staying for 8 days, and they've got 5 of them planned for me already!

It looks like a fairly easy drive from Williams to the North Rim, but that's for another trip for us. I'm heading to the beach in California for a week to rest up!

Have a safe and fun trip!

"The only bad thing about being retired is you never get a day off"

2006 Sunnybrook 28RKFS 5th Wheel
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Diesel 6 speed auto

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/09 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You must have a high tolerance for heat! [emoticon] We enjoyed Pancho Villa SP, in Columbus, NM. Interesting history and a great birding park in winter.

* This post was edited 06/08/09 01:40pm by mockturtle *

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

sushidog

Covington, LA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/09 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just returned from Big Bend NP last week (My third time there.) We spent 4 days there and still didn't see everything - the place is larger than some States. We camped in the Chisos Basin, but you won't be able to get your 5er up the road. I'd suggest the Rio Grand Village, as they are the only spot in the park with full hook-ups (which you will definitely need with the heat.)

Picture of Rio Grande river near the CG.
[image]

The view outside the window of our Aliner at the Chisos Basin.
[image]

Next we went to Guadalupe Mtn. NP, the highest point in TX. We stayed in the Pine Springs parking lot, I mean campground. No amenities but a beautiful view and dirt cheap at only $8/night ($4 golden age.) With our Aliner parked there, we visited Carlsbad Caverns (caught the bat flight too) and Carlsbad, NM. If I would have had more time I would have visited the Davis Mountains and Ft. Davis.

The Guadalupe Mtn. Campground.
[image]

North from Carlsbad is a plethora of interesting destinations, starting with Roswell, NM. But alas we only had 1 week to see the sights and cover some 2,600 miles so we had to skip a few attractions this time.

1999 National Tropical
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis

answerswillvary

eastern washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/09 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Roads and Routes

2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

TexasH

Katy, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/09 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just got back from a six week trip to Big Bend and Davis Mountains last month. It's a beautiful part of the world! We stayed at Big Bend Resort in Terlingua while exploring Big Bend, and at Davis Mountains State Park in Fort Davis. Both have full hookups and are good sites.

We spent three weeks in Big Bend and didn't see it all! Lots of back roads and trails. Davis Mountains State Park has large sites, full hookups (even cable). There was lots of wildlife, especially mule deer and lots of birds

We traveled US 90 from San Antonio. It's a good road, little to no trafic, and a much more pleasant drive than the freeway.

We stopped at Seminole Canyon State Park for a couple of nights on the way. Be sure to take the ranger hike to the petroglyphs if it's available while you are there. Also, the hike/bike trail to the Rio Grande. Both are worth the effort

2002 Southwind 37U Ford F53 - V10
2007 Jeep Liberty Toad

sushidog

Covington, LA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/09 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're going to stay on hwy-90 west of San Antonio (good recommendation) you must see Langtry, home of Judge Roy Bean.

DW in Langtry.
[image]

There's a high bridge under construction crossing the Pecos that narrows to one lane (they stop traffic.) If you are at all afraid of heights and narrow bridges take the I-10 to avoid this hair raising traverse.

Pecos bridge seen from overlook.

[image]

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/09 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holla! I like to recomment Balmorhea State Park which is located in the foothills of the Davis Mountains southwest of Balmorhea and nearby Davis Mountains State Park (along with the famous Big Bend Nat'l Park). They are very nice places and one could spend a long time at each. Been to all except Davis SP, but it is nice areas, be sure to visit the old Ft. Davis a nice place to see. Balmorhea SP has a great pool, fed with fresh spring water, full of fish from very small minnoes to some pretty big boys in the very deep area in which one can skin dive as well as snorkle. Very relaxing as well as fun.
Balmorhea

We enjoyed these as well: South Llano River State Park adjoins Walter Buck Wildlife Management Area, south of Junction is great as is Pedernales Falls State Park in Blanco County east of Johnson City. We have been to both. South Ilano
Pedernales Falls

LBJ's Ranch is near Johnson City as well as a Texas State Wildflower Museum-like place, the Lyndon B. Johnson State Park and Historic Site is between JC and Fredericksburg (neat place to see as well), across the road from the LBJ Ranch a National Park now.NPS
State Park
City
Nimitz

In New Mexico:
Lincoln National Forest - from personal experience the camping around Cloudcroft is very good. We have mainly used the campgrounds or dispersed camping area by the Silver, Apache & Saddle Campgrounds on the Hwy going to Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation on NM 244. Sacramento Ranger District.
Lincoln
Silver

Aguirre Spring BLM Campground near Las Cruces is a very nice campground. The high wall, needle-like spires of the Organ Mountains curve dramatically around a semicircle of Chihuahuan Desert habitat at the Aguirre Spring Campground. The campground, nestled at the base of spectacular cliffs, overlooks the Tularosa Basin and White Sands National Monument. Alligator juniper, gray oak, mountain mahogany and sotol are a few of the abundant plant species here. Seasonal springs and streams occur in the canyon bottoms, with a few perennial springs that support riparian habitats.
Spring

[image]

[image]
Above photos are of the Aguirre Spring Campground/Road going up to it.
However, I belive your Rig is TOO LARGE for the Aguirre Spring Campground. I was not thinking at first about the size. Leasburg State Park would be a better place for a large rig. The sign at the entrance says no trailers over 23'.

Any of the NM State Parks one should find excellent, and with some of the best rates one can find anywhere. NM State Parks I believe most people would enjoy any of the NM State Parks such as these:

Leasburg Dam State Park near Las Cruces is neat. Leasburg
Next to Fort Selden State Monument Fort

City of Rocks State Park north of Deming, South of Silver City City of Rocks
Rocks

Oliver Lee State Park near Alamogordo Lee

Arizona places:
Chiricahua National Monument by Willcox is great, been there will go back. Monument

Close by Chiricahua Nat'l Mon there is the neat ruins of a fort, some hiking to get to it. Fort Bowie National Historic Site is worth the 3 mile round-trip walk for the best experience of Fort Bowie National Historic Site. If you physically can not walk the trail, please contact the visitor center staff at 520-847-2500 for directions to the alternate access. Fort

In the Bisbee Area: The town itself is neat to walk around in and we enjoyed the art galleries. The Queen Mine Tour was neat, we enjoyed it. Tombstone is very tourist trap site, if you get my meaning. The old Court House was interesting. Site of a lot of wild west history, but very commercial. Mine
Tombstone
Kartchner Caverns State Park has camping as well as a cave. Not been to it yet, but it is on my to do list.Cave

Near Wilcox is The Amerind Foundation ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerind_Foundation ) a ethnological, anthropological, archaeological museum and art gallery with paintings by 20th century Anglo and Native American artists. We enjoyed the art gallery and the museum. A neat out of the way, hidden site in the boulders of Texas Canyon. The Amerind is located in Cochise County, one mile south of Interstate 10, only about an hour east of Tucson, between Benson and Willcox. It is easy to find - just look for Dragoon Road exit, #318, and head south until you see mile marker 1 on one side of the road and the Amerind entrance on the other. Amerind
Cochise Strong Hold is in the same area. Cochise

In the Tucson area: Saguaro National Park near Tucson is great to see. Two sections seperated by Tucson. East and West. Park
No campground at either but there is camping very near the West as well as some not far on the East. We have never camped in them but we have visited the Nat'l Park both West and East.

The Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum is really great (a zoo mainly without bars mostly) is over on the west side of Tucson by the Saguaro Nat'l Park and Old Tucson (the movie set/theme park). The Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum is a must see for sure. A Must See
Might like this one?
Old Tucson

In Northern New Mexico: We really like Heron Lake State Park, there are no FULL hookups but they do have electric/water sites and Chama is near by. Heron

If time allows check out the wool weavers workshop Tierra Wools in Los Ojos near the turn off to Heron Lake SP.
Tierra Wools

Chama & the Train Ride. Train
Chama area. Chama

Texas
Goliad State Park is located by Goliad with a nice campground on the San Antonio River. (a lot of Texas History in this area, some from same time as the famous Alamo fight). Santo Been to it and would go back.

* This post was last edited 06/08/09 06:01pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

wgtex

Victoria,Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/09 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest that if you head for Big Bend, take hiway 90 from San Antonio(I-10 is just another freeway.). Get a tourist guide from the Hiway Dept(TXDOT). Loads of good info there. Anyhow, enjoy your trip. I think(gettin in trouble now) the url for the guide is at www.traveltex.com.

Y'all have fun now!!

Wendell

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/09 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All excellent recommendations above. Chisos is a real treat, if your rig is too big, more than 24ft, you can always do a day trip there and visit the "window" looking out over the park.

Also in Texas are Lake Amistad, Seminole Canyon State Park (petroglyph tour), Fort Davis State Park (hike from the park to the fort, excellent vistas) Hueco Tanks State Park (you need to take a short course just to spend the night but well worth it), Franklin Mountains State Park (just outside of El Paso). All are excellent and I would recommend the use of Hwy 90 through West Texas passing Marfa (and the Marfa Lights), Alpine, Tx. and if you are going to Big Bend to spend the day eating in Terlingua.

New Mexico also has a great set of state parks and at very good rates, all with primitive camping as well as full hookups.

Enjoy your trip.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Like to tell me where to go?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.