|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> May 2009 Trip, part 1

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/09 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May 2009 Trip
A Cross Country Journey
California to South Carolina and back
Part 1
Travelingman2 Pictures

Actually my journey started April 29 (Wednesday), it would be a solidarity trek till my wife Julie could join me in route some where on the other side of this country. Let’s say somewhere called Louisville, KY. On our past adventures we’ve always traveled as two peas in a pot as to say with my Julie being the navigator and “wake up your going off the road” companion. I left her with sparking memory of me (flowers do it every time).
[image]
Video
Morning get away
The way out of town was greeted by a cool morning with a sleepy sun still hiding under a cloudy sheet and hustle of people going to work. Looking towards east going traffic, it was light this morning, for I’d have a good start on it.
[image]
[image]
Video
I-10 to Hwy 62
I’ve laid my days travel many nights before, stopping in Morongo Valley at a well know local eatery, Morongo Café, know for it’s friendly service, biscuits and gravy. Many of the local area patronize this café, as I will this morning.
[image]
[image]
After a hardy breakfast I needed to work some of it off, Amboy Crater was near my chosen route and there await an easy hike out to towering heights (not really). My trusty truck ran on the blacken path towards our goal to burn off some morning feast.
[image]
Video
On to Amboy Crater
In no time I was going through 29 Palms and passed all the hair cutting business. Reaching Amboy Road for the dash to my destination but it was to be a short dash, for a road crew was out tearing up asphalt on the curve before the climb to Sheep Hole Pass. Down to one lane and a slow one at that, I’d to squeeze by a dump truck that wants my side of the road,show in above video.
[image]

Swiftly leaving trouble behind, I’d soon met some fellow travelers heading to from where I did come from. These travelers turn out to be driving HUMMV’s in a hurry, I waved a friendly hand of respect as they zipped by.
[image]

Arriving at the gateway to the tower called Amboy Crater and soon found a resting place for my gallant truck. A motor home was already here and pulling up anchor, as I got ready for the hike.
[image]
Video
Arrived at Amboy Crater

A motorhome was about to pull out when I arrived at the dirt parking are. Looking around for anybody else and it wasn’t long before a couple showed up. They were in a hurry, wasting no time in heading to the crater that lay in the sort distance. I wondered if they were after the same rare and magical Desert Lilly that sometimes can be found out in this land of broken black rock and sand. Desert flowers didn’t bloom very well this year due to the lack of rain in this area, a few hardy species were to be found.
[image]
Begainning of trailhead
[image]
Dawning my daypack I headed out to conquer the nearby blacken mound. Passing through many low laying gullies there were signs of things yet to come. As in BLM has installed new trail markers, information signs and a couple of resting benches along this sandy path. Finding some critter life out here soon presented itself in the form of a lizard next to where I was walking.
[image]
Very few flowers this year.
[image] [image]

Walking out to distance crater is a relative easy one, but one still needs to use some common sense even for this short hike (bring water) for there have been sighting of rattle snakes out here and the weather wasn’t hot enough for them to go hiding during daylight hours yet. To Amboy Crater base is about ¾ of a mile and it doesn’t take long to get there.
[image]

From here a slight slope is encountered going around the crater’s base and into the gaping opening on the west side. Climbing in was a “walk in the park”, once in the center of it bowl I did a good look around and saw many things have changed inside this crater, for several newer trails have been made inside and up to the rim that weren’t here the last time I’d hiked out here (several years)
[image]
Video
On the trail

[image]
Video
Inside Amboy Crater
After a bit a rummaging around up to the rim I went and what a wonderful views it were. Down on the trail was the couple I saw earlier making their way back to the parking area.
[image]

[image]
VideoView from the rim
Wind was starting to pick up a bit, but not enough to make one hurry off this mound. Amboy Township could be seen from up here, the air was clear enough to make it out.
[image]
Well it was time to get off this pile of rock and sand for I also wanted to stop in Amboy it self to snap a couple of photos. Walking back was as easy as getting out here, only hotter. I was greeted by a Chuckwalla lizard near the trail, a good-looking one. I try to how close I could get before it scramble away.
[image]
A short while later I was back at my truck, a quick lunch and off to Amboy Township. A few things had changed there; bathrooms were open, selling of water and other gift shop items. The clerk told me that am working on getting the café part operational.
[image]

[image]
Additonal Amboy town Video Town of Amboy
Kingman was still a few hours away and it was time to go, but my truck had other ideas when it spotted a open air shoe sale going on. So we made a stop to shop with my truck checking out all the wares on display.
[image]
N34.5155 W115.7528
I finally kick my truck in gear and speeded down the road for my parents place in Kingman where I'll be doing driveway camping for the night.
[image]
Video On to Kingman,AZ.

Part 2 coming soon.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

ogrer

Norwood On

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/09 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice Shots.

Bob

Bob & Jan

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/09 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great photos and a nice place to visit. Might get added to our trip?

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

SUPERBASH

Long Island NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/09 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pics & vid. Good to see the area again. I was stationed at 29 Palms 1985-1986. I was all over that place.
I loved the Desert. [emoticon]

2009 DODGE RAM2500 HEAVYDUTY 4X4 SLT QUADCAB SHORTBED BIGHORN EDITION 5.7 LITER HEMI
2009 STARCRAFT 800HS TRUCKCAMPER

-Pacbrake AirBags
-SuperSprings
-HappiJac TieDown System w/ QuickLoad Turnbuckles
-TorkLift GlowSteps
-Curt FrontMount Hitch

bldrbuck

one or the other

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/09 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures and dialog. Now print them and make a travel book. Be sure to title and date it.

4tumbleweeds

Las Vegas, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/09 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a great vacation. I'm jealous.

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/09 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How did I miss this trip report? Nice looking trip there c.traveler, I have popcorn ready for the other installments of another Alex & Julie's excellent adventure and will be waiting.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/09 10:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was wondering when you would be making another trip as I enjoy all the pics and narration. And to my surprise, your destination is just a few miles up the road. Planning on eating at Sweatman's again? [emoticon]

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/09 02:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmckelvy wrote:

What do you take the videos with? Do you hold in your hand without any support or do you have something to assist?

In this case only the morning video was aided by the use of a tripod, all the other videos were shot hand held.

kohldad wrote:

Planning on eating at Sweatman's

unfortunately Sweatman was closed at the time of our arrival, but we did eat at Chief Choice.[emoticon]

jmckelvy

North Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/09 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always enjoy reading about your trips. Thanks for posting.

What do you take the videos with? Do you hold in your hand without any support or do you have something to assist?

Looking forward to the next installment.

Jim

06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> May 2009 Trip, part 1
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.