|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> 2005 Scamp (Molded Fiberglass TT) New to this Forum

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/09 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Order it from the Scamp Factory in Minnisota in 2005. Very happy
with the size, comfort, and easy of towing. Downed sized from a
'96 Coachmen Catalina 22'. Kids are gone, married, just did not
need a large gas hog any longer. Pulled it with a 2003 Ford Ranger until this year. Retired the Ranger when we got a 2009 Ford F-150.
Towing Double at times which is legal in New Mexico.
Taking along my 2008 XT250 Yamaha on a 10' MotoHauler.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Link to more photos & text
Shake Down 2009

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

twins89

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/09 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cute little set-up and that is why there are so many rigs - one for every family - little or big. Just get out there and have fun!

Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

BroncosFan

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/09 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have any issues with your scamp over the four years you have had it? That sure is a nice setup, you are way ahead of the gas mileage game thats for sure. Do you know (in general) what the charge for the custom deluxe 16 model? THey show all their pricing on the scamp page except that one model. Thanks in advance.

Yaj

The Milky Way Galaxy (Fort Myers, FL)

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/09 11:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love the Scamps I have seen. I just can't figure out how they got them to be bigger on the inside than the outside! Must have a really good design team!

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/09 01:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BroncosFan asked, "Have any issues with your scamp over the four years you have had it?" We got possession of it in early Sept. '05. My son towed
it down to us to Loveland, CO....we used it a few days there & going home, took a few day trip to Cloudcroft Area, then took a few days in Oct at the
City of Rocks. First night the fuse off the battery blew, used a spare, it blew...drove into Silver City for more...each would blow. Next morning,
the camp host came by, in passing I asked him about the fuse blowing. He suggested a short, and to check where the wires enter the trailer from the
battery. A metal clamp which holds the wire bundle as it goes through the fiberglass had clamped a wire, thus a short. I was able to loose it up, pull
out the bundle some, find the short, rap it with electrical tape and put it back together making sure it did not clamp a wire this time. OK, it worked.

Last year the converter when out, I order a replacement from the people Scamp get them from to save a few bucks, paid CampingWorld to replace it.
While camping in ND for a many weeks, it stops working. My son finds a heat sink had came unfasten and then broke a connection. Talked with the
supplier, they would replace the board but wanted the broken one back before they would mail it. Location, in Southern California, LA area. I mailed it
to them, they sent the new one. I was able to put it back together with the great help of my son who took a photo of the converter with it all hooked
up before he took the board out with his cell phone, then emailed it me. The instructions did not help at all. I was back home before I got it and
had to do it. Son is trained in working on things like that but not me.

Those were the issues we have had. Oh, yes, one tire developed a bump & I replace two tires to a size large. I now have two spares. 13" trailer tires
do not allow for a varied selection. This happen in ND the year before last. It took a week to get the tires in. Why I went with 2 spares. One
under the tongue, the other on back as it came from the factory. I would have liked to seen at least 14" wheels on it, but without lifting it
up some I do not believe 14s would fit.

No other problems thus far, knock on wood.

Yaj wrote,"I just can't figure out how they got them to be bigger on the inside than the outside!" My son's father-in-law said almost the same thing
the first time he saw our Scamp when we droped off some things at the place on the way back from seeing the kids in 2006. I credit it with no wasted
space, and no clutter of un-need things. It is cozy for sure but not very cramped, the way I see it. We have not suffered any claustrophobia.
Others seem to believe they would. Ha! I believe my son's 5th wheel's living room pop out and kitchen is larger, but we are way ahead of the gas mpg
game.

Here is a comparison of our Scamp and his Cougar.
[image]

I also do not have any payment to make with our rig. Just have to pay for gasoline and camping fees. One has to eat camping or at home. [emoticon]

Oh, yes, the Scamp Custom Deluxe...can't say I know much about them. My guess is because they can be a very one of a kind custom job (one can get them in any configuration one wishes, within reason), it would be hard to put a figure on cost until they know what is wanted. As I stated this my understanding or assumption. Give them a call or even ask them over their web site. I asked a question and got an answer back quickly using their site.

* This post was last edited 10/23/09 03:10pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

huachuca

Tarboro, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/09 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Deserthawk, glad to see you over here. You may be able to move up to 14" tires with less effort than you think.

After a second Marathon failure, I decided to give 195 x 14 Kumhos a try. The black trim around the curbside wheel well had been damaged when the tread separated so I figured I could use my dremel to enlarge the opening a bit if the 14's needed more room. As it turned out, I had to remove less than 1/4 inch of fiberglass on the left and none on the streetside. It looks tight but I've had zero clearance problems in 10K+ miles (some of it on FS roads in Lincoln NF, GUMO, Big Bend Ranch SP and Big Bend NP plus some bad stretches of I-40, I-10 and I-20 between NM and NC. Oh - 2002 S-16 Scamp and you can't tell where I radiused out the wheel well.

Next time you're out, find another camper with 14" rims and see if you can borrow their spare for a test fit.

Al

stpauligirlmn

St. Paul

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/09 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love your Scamp Deserthawk. It is a thing of beauty. I've long admired the Scamp. My husband thought it was just a little too small, so we ended up with a Road Runner. Not nearly as good quality as a Scamp.

Happy Camping!!

seadawg

Tampa Bay, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/09 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a really sharp looking rig, DesertHawk. My aunt and uncle enjoyed their Scamp for about fifteen years. Great camper.

bigfooteriam

beautiful b.c.

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/09 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nice looking trailer.
these scamps look very similar to the canadian boler trailers.
i wonder if there is any relation?
i am not sure if boler is even around anymore.
there are a lot of the older bolers being redone and towed behind the hotrods and classics now.
even old models like 70's are 13 ft. and fetching 3-4000 dollars.

2005 chevy blazer 4wd
1998 trail-lite 17 hybrid
lotsa mods here and there to fit our campstyle
just havin fun

seadawg

Tampa Bay, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boler, one of the molded fiberglass trailer pioneers, has been out of business for decades. The Evelands in Backus once manufactured the Boler in the US for Boler. After Boler went out of business in the early seventies, the Eveland family went into both manufacturing and sales, using the name Scamp. (Also, as I understand, for a short time, the name Acorn, while settling a lawsuit to allow them to use the tradename Scamp.) All the original molds were destroyed in a plant fire a few years ago. Scamp reopened in a new facility with new molds a few years back, still as a private family business. (Casita is also a Boler descendent, I guess, since the first Casitas were actually manufactured in Backus as well...)

The Scamp trailer website has a short history of the Scamp, and there's a lot of info on Scamp and Boler (and similar trailers) on the fiberglassrv.com website if you're interested.

Cute and tough, these little trailers hang around for a long time!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> 2005 Scamp (Molded Fiberglass TT) New to this Forum
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.