Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: where do u put "bubble" level in refrigerator?

Posted By: Rock2 on 06/10/09 09:24am

I have a round shape "bubble" level that I bought from Walmart. I would like to know where do you put the bubble to check if bubble is in the center of the circle? Thanks!

Posted By: stageline on 06/10/09 09:26am

I put mine in the freezer

Robert, Brenda & our dog Brandy
2002 D/A CC LB 3500
2000 5er Savana 35.5' W/3 slides,
360 Watt Solar Panels, 2000 Watt Inverter, 4.5 KW Onan Generator
toad Jeep Grand Cherokee

Posted By: hershey on 06/10/09 09:26am

The agreed by the masses is: in the bottom of the freezer compartment. But...with todays more forgiving refrigerators, you can put it on the counter top and be OK. If the RV is level enough to be comfortable, its comfortable for the refrigerator.

hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Posted By: maddog348 on 06/10/09 09:36am

I found a spot on the counter that replicated the same circle configuration as the bottom of the freezer -- used that 'spot' as was easier than moving food around every set-up.

Posted By: time2roll on 06/10/09 09:45am

For front to back I put mine next to the switch to move the front legs.
For side to side I put it on the frame of the steps.
I use the small ones from Hoppy. Link I got tired of running in and out to check level with the bubble.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Posted By: bldrbuck on 06/10/09 09:47am

The inital level is probably best if you use the freezer. After that install lebels at the front and side of the trailer so they are easy to read.

Posted By: Trailer Trash 2 on 06/10/09 09:52am

I level my trailer so the doors on the frig and the rest of the trailer stay where ever I place it, I clasify that as level. then I secure my 2 bubbles to the trailer and then use for future leveling.
As another poster stated the newer refrigerators are not as critical as the ones of years ago. this has worked for me and I never had any problems or repairs in many years.

Don & Georgia
AKA: Trailer Trash 2
Real trucks don't have spark plugs.
2009, Dodge, 3500, Q Cab, Cum/Diesel, D.R.W.
Pulling a Super Fine Montana 2980RL

Posted By: RicJones on 06/10/09 10:36am

I put the bubble in the middle of the freezer then leveled the MH until I got the fridge level. I then put horizontal levels on the dash and to the left of the driver's seat. When I attached them I made sure they showed as level. Now when I level the MH I know the fridge is as well. If you have a trailer you could do the same thing but put the levels outside on the front.

Posted By: redwake on 06/10/09 02:52pm

i leave it sitting on the counter by the fridge.... can probably put it away since my exterior levels are close enough

TT: 08 Monterey 27 PT by Extreme RV
TV: 05 Eddie Bauer Expedition w/5.4L 3.31 Gears ">
Hitched with a Husky WD & SC.
Powered by Champion 3500

Posted By: Reynz on 06/10/09 02:12pm

Really, wait - wait- wait..... I just reasonably leveled the RV and have never had a problem, nor have I ever had a concern about leveling the frig.... My intention is not to be smart here, but are we getting a little carried away with this?

Can't we talk about, you know, the regular topics, adding a second water tank, re-gearing the transmission, installing a rocking chair on top for grandma, using real wood for updating cabinets, foam or not to foam for rear walk-around queen bed, critters in the rig, more 6 volt batteries, why not 12v, pink stuff in the drinking water line, parkin the rig on gravel, wal-mart overnight parking, scan guages, tires more than 5 years old, show us a picture of your rig, 30 vs. 50 amp plugs, winter camping, bleach in the lines, heat from the front engine, smelly black tank, bugs flying out of the grey tank, awning discolored, my DW/DH and DD, generator running overnight, rear weight, back weight, weigh rig full or empty, how much air, bilstein shocks, no the others ones that start with a K, patio additons, pets, lights, seat belts, leaks, fan for the frig, no fan for the frig, windshield covers, adco covers, chafing, itching, painting, oh - wax, cleaning solvent, black marks, camping world or Wallyworld ............

* This post was edited 06/10/09 02:18pm by Reynz *

Posted By: ksg5000 on 06/10/09 02:32pm

The only time I have used a level is when designing the RV pad at home .. otherwise I just get the rig reasonably level (looks and feels level) verified by the swing of the fridge door. Last fridge lasted 16 yrs. using this method.

Kevin

Posted By: joanne0012 on 06/10/09 02:37pm

RicJones wrote:

I put the bubble in the middle of the freezer then leveled the MH until I got the fridge level. I then put horizontal levels on the dash and to the left of the driver's seat. ...

Exactly. You only need to put it in the freezer the first time!

Joanne

Posted By: red31 on 06/10/09 03:33pm

Reynz wrote:

Really, wait - wait- wait..... .

Thanks, I needed that!

Posted By: Antique Deere on 06/10/09 06:13pm

There is no need to use the round level. If you are comfortable in the coach, it is level enough to run the refrigerator with any harm being done to the cooling unit. Early 1980 and earlier units had to be exactly level or you would block the cooling unit. That problem has gone away with the newer designed cooling units.

I purchased outside levels, used a 4' level to make sure the RV was level and attached them and this has worked great since 1999.

Hope this helps.

Bob T

Posted By: SCVJeff on 06/10/09 07:12pm

I just level so the bathroom door stays put when open... [emoticon]

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Posted By: gregputzer on 06/10/09 07:22pm

In the fridge? I don't understand the reason? [emoticon]

My levels are screwed to the OUTSIDE corner of my rig. Lots easier to level than running in and out of the RV and opening and closing the fridge.

An RV can be several inches out of level (uncomfortable to walk in) without any risk to the fridge. Most fridged are rated 3 degrees side to side and 6 degess front to back. That is a long way from level.

Greg

Posted By: Rock2 on 06/10/09 09:20pm

Guess the suject is not clear as I thought. Anyway It is a round thing that has black circle etched on the top of the bubble. It is use for refrigerator.I was not sure if freezer is a best place or bottom of the refrigerator. Some said freezer so I will use it to test in the freezer. I was told bubble is suppose to be in the center.

Posted By: Deen on 06/10/09 11:33pm

I put mine on the MH floor, that's close enough for the refer's now.

Posted By: Trailer Trash 2 on 06/11/09 12:04am

Rock2 wrote:

Guess the suject is not clear as I thought. Anyway It is a round thing that has black circle etched on the top of the bubble. It is use for refrigerator.I was not sure if freezer is a best place or bottom of the refrigerator. Some said freezer so I will use it to test in the freezer. I was told bubble is suppose to be in the center.

Those were originally used to level the stylist turntable of years back 33-1/3 rd. LP Records. Whats a record???????? Ha Ha.
most trailers are built on flat floors and there construction is pritty close to bubble so if the doors stay where they opened to all will be OK and like the other post said you only have to do it once, then mount your levels on the RV.

Posted By: CROSSBOLT on 06/11/09 05:09am

There may be other considerations since the 'fridge is happy within 3 degrees of level. Bertha the Bounder has a leaky slide seal so she is parked with a quarter bubble port list (that's vehicle left to you land lubbers!) and a touch of bow or stern down trim. Quarter to half-bubble is so small that the people inside don't notice it.

Karl

Karl

Posted By: gregputzer on 06/11/09 05:30am

Rock2 wrote:

It is perfectly clear. The reality is the best place for the level is NOT IN THE FRIDGE at all. Don't know who gave you that advice, because just getting the whole RV generally level is more than safe for the fridge. Even if the RV is really badly constructed and the fridge is not installed straight, it would have to be REALLY out of level (as in a noticable tilt to everything else) to be of any concern.

Forget the level in the fridge, it is taking precious time away from CAMPING! Someone gave you bad advice, just move on... [emoticon]

Greg

Posted By: Handbasket on 06/11/09 05:51am

I keep my level in the freezer. It's an antique, and I don't want to risk having it spoil! [emoticon]

More seriously, I use an old 6" level that belonged to my g'father (checked against a modern one) on the counter above the reefer to confirm what my butt and eyes tell me. I lay it front rto rear and side to side. All of this 'freezer door staying put' stuff sounds like a waste of good cold air to me....

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Posted By: nbounder on 06/11/09 10:47am

I still go with the 'open door' guys. If you can leave the fridge door open and it doesn't swing shut either way you're at the point of virtually no further improvement. The rig front door may or may not act identically, but the important point of level is the fridge itself.

Nbounder
KG7DKF

Posted By: JAXFL on 06/11/09 11:06am

Actually I do level but not the fridge, I level the stove, that way the egg pan doe'nt slide off and the pancakes are not funny looking. The fridge is fine.

Posted By: Dixonmatco on 06/11/09 11:34am

What I did is the following:

New TT, found fairly level paved place (parking lot) and used level in refer Freezer floor to set perfectly level.

Added separate levels on exterior of trailer (large level on front of trailer for side to side and front to back level on side of trailer near tongue.) Attached them so the bubble was perfectly centered.
I prefer the ones calibrated in inches so it is easy to tell just how much to add in the form of blocks under the wheels for side to side level.

Never used the little round bubble level again.

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 Komfort Trailblazer T23S
Honda EU2000I

Posted By: SCVJeff on 06/11/09 01:26pm

gregputzer wrote:

Rock2 wrote:

It is perfectly clear. The reality is the best place for the level is NOT IN THE FRIDGE at all. Don't know who gave you that advice, because just getting the whole RV generally level is more than safe for the fridge. Even if the RV is really badly constructed and the fridge is not installed straight, it would have to be REALLY out of level (as in a noticable tilt to everything else) to be of any concern.

Forget the level in the fridge, it is taking precious time away from CAMPING! Someone gave you bad advice, just move on... [emoticon]

Greg
The advice is sound. Actually and historically, the only reason to level was because of the fridge, and it must be done in the freezer placed on the heat exchanger. This has been the case since mobile ammonia refrigerators were invented. While not as important these days, this was the sole reason for leveling at all. But I still use the bathroom door that also happens to be zero-bubble in the fridge [emoticon]

Posted By: ol Bombero-JC on 06/14/09 05:25pm

hershey wrote:

The agreed by the masses is: in the bottom of the freezer compartment. But...with todays more forgiving refrigerators, you can put it on the counter top and be OK. If the RV is level enough to be comfortable, its comfortable for the refrigerator.

And that's not just heresay from hershey!

If the rig is close to level, everything & everybody should be
in the "comfort zone"!

~

Print  |  Close