RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Smoky Mountain Road - GSENM (Many Pics!)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Smoky Mountain Road - GSENM (Many Pics!)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/09 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow cool pictures!!

The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument IS a very cool/hot place.

Reminded me of my 2006 trip, but I was on the Cottonwood Canyon road and took these pictures.

GROSVENOR ARCH
[image]

THIS TRUCKER WAS LED ASTRAY BY HIS NEW COMPUTER PROGRAM. IT DID NOT KNOW COTTONWOOD CANYON WAS A DIRT ROAD????? Or so he told me.
He should have turned back he needed a giant earthmover to get him out. That tow that must have cost him a lot.
I took him into Page for help when his truck could go no farther. Then saw him again the next morning with his truck almost to the pavement. He was signing papers with the tow Co.
[image]
By the time he got to this point he had smoked up all his cigarettes.

* This post was edited 06/13/09 10:31pm by an administrator/moderator *

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 04:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great photos and comprehensive report!! Thanks for a great job done...this is one of the (few) places in the State we haven't visited as yet; it's on our to-do list [emoticon]

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

AKDH

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/09 12:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smoky Mountain is definitely a lonely drive. When I drove it I did not see a soul from Big Water to Hole-In-The-Rock road.

* This post was edited 07/17/09 10:49am by AKDH *

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holy Smoky Mtn Rd! Super delux pix and great ride over the most forgotten stretch in the lower 48. You Da Man!

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of Stuff wrote:

By the time he got to this point he had smoked up all his cigarettes.

You got me with that one..... I've seen similar misadventures where people took a wrong turn, or thought they'd found a "shortcut" on their map. Or there was the time I was on the White Rim trail in Canyonlands and ran into a guy with a Camaro - how he didn't bust a hole in his oil pan was a mystery to me.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/09 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marvelous as usual. You keep posting trip reports like this and I may have to quit the wife and divorce myself from work to start my own travels.

Looking forward to the next time your traveling foot gets an itch.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

caver

Missouri, The Cave State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/09 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for taking us along. I normally don't read the truck campers forum and found it from a search. I had some waypoints and was going to do Smoky Mountain road but it never happened. I've been in remote areas NE of there on the other side of Escalante River and it reminded me of the scenery.
I once got my old pop-up trailer hung in a washed out crossing on my hitch. That was a sinking feeling. I think the BLM put in a culvert last time I was in the same area.

kennyzzz

buffalo new york

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/09 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wow that's a sad story

Quote:

I mentioned cattle ranchers earlier, and at the upper end of the road came across some of their wards. Domestic cattle aren’t very smart, but these guys are the hillbillies of the breed, and they are more curious than afraid.

[image]

After clearing the beeves off the road so I could continue, I left the area with a promise to the cows that we’d get together sometime for dinner.

well I'm a city boy, so I'm thinking,,, how do you get the cattle off the road, just drive slowly at then and hope they move and not ram your truck.
I know that I'm not the only city boy here.
I love outdoors but never experienced this type of thing. so I would like to know how to handle the situation.

Chevy 2008 1500 X-cab 5.3 373 posi 4x4 z-71
2003 jayco quest 190 4059 lbs.
2004 Northern light 8.5

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/09 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on what you are driving. IN a car/truck you just move along slowly and they'll get out of the way. YOu DON'T want to go at them fast or anything because the ranchers won't be happy to see the cows running in fear of the car etc. - they can get injured and potentially run off pounds/fat. ONe time we were in such a narrow cayon with the road going down the center, a cow walked in front of us a long long ways (a mile?) before it finally left the road.

On the other hand, I came face-to-face with a large bull one time, while on a dirt bike. That was a bit spooky - he was staring at me like a bullfighter. I basically had to wait him out until he got bored and left the road - there wasn't much of a way around him.

Sometimes you can get caught in a herd where the ranchers are moving them - and all you can do it sit while the herd swarms around the car until they are past...dents and poop can end up on your car. As a kid I always thought that was cool.

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/09 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btggraphix wrote:

IN a car/truck you just move along slowly and they'll get out of the way.

That's pretty much how you do it - Like I mentioned in the post the open range variety are always a lot more curious than their cousins from the "city", and sometimes they can't seem to make heads or tails (pun intended) of what you are. Even so, keep driving at 'em nice and easy and they'll figure it out..... but be especially careful when there are calves in the herd. The little guys are VERY skittish, and more than once I've seen them jump one way when I was sure they'd go the other.

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Smoky Mountain Road - GSENM (Many Pics!)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.