RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: 51hogtied asked about boondocking secrets

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 51hogtied asked about boondocking secrets

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

51hogtied wrote and asked on another thread about asubject that will get a lot of comment from others: It will be better served by creating a new thread.

51hogtied wrote:

Sleepy, I marvel that you've boondocked that many nights. I'd like to learn your techniques about finding a place to park the TC for the night. Do you do any preparation plans in advance for the nights location? Or do you just drive until you find a good spot for the night. I've always been the one who needs to know well in advance where I'm going to stop. I'd like to be able to get out of that mode and just "wing" it but I have a bit of uneasiness doing that. What can you suggest, what are your basic tips for finding a place to boondock? What goes through your head, what's your thought process/plan 12-24 hours before you stop for that night? What if you can't find a good location? etc. Thanks.

A year before we bought our Lance we started practicing.

Everytime we passed a flat spot we'd comment on it... even cemetarys. Of course we were just kidd'n around.

We did our first trip to Florida... 4 1/2 months.. and never went into a camp ground. We put 3600 miles on the truck for just that trip.

Ninety nine percent of the time we don't have any idea where we'll stay... mainly because we almost never return to the same area.

We stop when we are tired or just like an area... we find a good "spot" with 15 minutes to a 1/2 hour. In towns it is much easier.

If you have hang ups like fear or having to know ahead of time you won't be able to do it.

If you have anything bigger than a truck camper it will be a lot harder... even though we are 25 1/2 feet long we fit in a lot of places that others don't.

Leave your chairs, grills, cute lights and yard ornaments at home.

In other words... fit in, don't be noticed.

We keep our truck and camper clean... trash is always noticed by others. We also keep ourselves clean, neat, etc.

We avoid areas with graffitti or cash checking and pawn shop businesses.

The main attributes are the absence of fear and being aware of everything you see for their possibilites.

By the way... we have never been asked to move... not once.

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

lostmarbles

Sacramento, CA., USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ever heard the song... "Papa was a rolling stone, where ever he laid his hat, was his home" We have done that very thing plenty of times. It's basiscally the same as staying at Walmart, Wally world, stores parking lots, etc. Except you cannot be an element that is out of character of the surroundings where you are staying at. Now, it's a little harder as properties are putting signs up that prohibit such overnight stays.

51hogtied

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/09 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Sleepy, can you tell me the generic places you stay in a town other than WalMarts and Flying J's? Like perhaps library, chuch, business establishment, etc. parking lots. What's your most common type of location like?

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there is no right answer

practice, practice, practice.....

spkncarl

That Way

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

51hogtied wrote:

Thanks Sleepy, can you tell me the generic places you stay in a town other than WalMarts and Flying J's? Like perhaps library, chuch, business establishment, etc. parking lots. What's your most common type of location like?

Prison...[emoticon]

He's crazy...you don't want to follow Sleepy...[emoticon]

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spkncarl wrote:

51hogtied wrote:

Prison...[emoticon]

spankincarl... you got me there... we did plan the prison break-in boondocking caper for months... but we were staying 4 nights on that one.

Here we are inside San Quentin Prison and moving up to the wall. That looks like Reddog1's truck and camper and Suki in front of us. Like I said... good boondockers show no fear!

[image]

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 10:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The truth is; it's OK with me when people don't do what we do... there is absolutely no competition for our spots.

summerhouse

Big Rapids, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/09 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, I think what you have been able to accomplish boondocking is great. Sounds like our 31' Class C wouldn't be able to get away with as much, even though I would really like to. We have grabbed a few hours here and there, but only a couple times. We're inexperienced newbies though.

“Light hearted I take to the open road… Healthy, free, the world before me… The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.” - Walt Whitman

snowranger

sf

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 11:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never mind finding boondocking sites, how do you deal with dumping that often?

spkncarl

That Way

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 11:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sleepy wrote:

spkncarl wrote:

51hogtied wrote:

Prison...[emoticon]

spankincarl... you got me there... we did plan the prison break-in boondocking caper for months... but we were staying 4 nights on that one.

good boondockers show no fear!

[image]

Sleepy's new bumper sticker...[emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 51hogtied asked about boondocking secrets
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.