RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: 51hogtied asked about boondocking secrets

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 51hogtied asked about boondocking secrets

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/09 12:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

snowranger wrote:

Never mind finding boondocking sites, how do you deal with dumping that often?

Amazingly dumping has never been a problem... and we have never dumped a drop of black or grey waste illigally.

The absolute worst experience was Lynchburg, VA..... we were filling the tanks with no idea where to dump. I phoned the city sewer works... they said come on down and told us how to get there.

They had a ramp where the honey bucket trucks dumped.... MESSSSY!!! I made plastic bag booties up to my knees and worked my way around the truck to the valve... Woosh! But again... just in time.

I carry a macerating pump and a special garden hose (borrowed it from my neighbor). I've only had to use it a couple of times...

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

CamoKQ700

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/09 12:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sleepy is right,
I always boondock and do it without any fear. It is really quite easy. I bought a TC for this very reason. I pull off on side roads, Old fire trails, parking lots, the list is endless. The best for me has been large mall parking lots in early evening or industrial parks. Do not be obvious. Just back into a corner and keep a low profile. I never set up "Camp" either. Keep inside. A good GPS helps as well, I love my TomTom. When I get off a freeway I can zoom in and find a dead end road and camp there.

As for dumping, Well I have a cassette toilet. It is very easy to find a roadside out house or truck stop bathroom and wheel it and dump. I too have not illegally dumped and never will. Gray water could be argued. I use biodegradable soaps and such so nothing is hazardous. Just being a conscience person with values will allow you to do the right thing.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/09 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An indicator of weather you can successfully boondock might be on your front door at home.

If you have bars on your door for security you will never be comfortable doing what we do. You will be afraid! (see note below)

There are those that have bars on their living quarters door... and at the end of their hall... and the door to the outside... They can't boondock either. They can't be anywhere they wish and they are paying dearly for the opportunity to live in a secured facility.

We visited some of these. When we boondocked inside San Quentin Prison we were able to leave, we don't have bars on our doors... we aren't afraid.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/09 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boondocking is a individual sport... that is why truck campers work so well. Our overall foot print is small. (Class B's should work well for short periods of time ... they don't have capacities for extended stays.)

If you are ONLY comfortable when you have a support system or feel that you are safer in numbers you will have trouble boondocking... two or more RV's together look like gypsys and draw attention.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/09 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your spouse is afraid to boondock you might as well forget it... his fear will drive you crazy... or maybe her fear will be the problem.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/09 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone mentioned a GPS... to me a gps has nothing to do with successful boondocking... it implies planning. We can't plan what we don't know about... (it will tell you where a Walmart is for an emergency)

Our decisions as to the where of boondocking is often made in one minute... we see it... we do it. We never know what we are going to run up on...

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/09 05:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think sleepy has taken boondocking to the ultimate level and I give praise. While I haven't met sleepy yet, though I would like to, he does seem to have the perfect personality where he treats every stranger as a good friend which gets the feelings returned. I think this attitude has to help greatly in feeling comfortable in strange places which helps being able to boondock in so many locations.

Though boondocking areas on the East are not as common as out west, the TC is one of the reasons I "down graded" from my 35' fiver. While I did it as a kid with my parents when the were lots more places, I was a little apprenhensive at the thought of doing it by myself. However, this fear was quickly overcome out of necessasity. After working most of the day, I drove 7 hours to look at my TC, spent 2 hours getting it loaded and secured, then tried to drive several more hours before deciding I had pushed far enough. With only a gallon jug of water, no battery, no mattress, no food, I found a walmart parking lot and spent my first night boon docking. Probably the most rewarding night's sleep I'll ever have in the TC.

I'm now "planning" a quick trip out west to Moab. By planning, it means finding general areas I want to visit and what the rules are for camping in them. In the NP I'll need permits, in some of the NFs it is designated spots only, for others NFs, it's at large. However, where I stay exactly will be determined by timing and love of the view. If the area feels safe enough to get out and explore, then it should feel safe enough to spend the night. Avoiding the obvious signs of trouble like trashy streets, graffiti, tire burnouts, and fresh police tape should help out a lot.

As far as dumping, by myself I should be able to stretch it to 7 days, even with my small 11/10 gal tanks. This requires using public facilities during the day and minimizing my kitchen washing. When it does come time to dump, there are numerous options. Most campgrounds allow you to dump for a small fee. A lot of interstate rest areas have rv dumps for free. And I'll have to remember sleepy's backup plan of just calling the local sanitation dept.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/09 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kohldad wrote:

I think sleepy has taken boondocking to the ultimate level and I give praise. While I haven't met sleepy yet, though I would like to, he does seem to have the perfect personality where he treats every stranger as a good friend which gets the feelings returned. I think this attitude has to help greatly in feeling comfortable in strange places which helps being able to boondock in so many locations.

Though boondocking areas on the East are not as common as out west, the TC is one of the reasons I "down graded" from my 35' fiver. While I did it as a kid with my parents when the were lots more places, I was a little apprenhensive at the thought of doing it by myself. However, this fear was quickly overcome out of necessasity. After working most of the day, I drove 7 hours to look at my TC, spent 2 hours getting it loaded and secured, then tried to drive several more hours before deciding I had pushed far enough. With only a gallon jug of water, no battery, no mattress, no food, I found a walmart parking lot and spent my first night boon docking. Probably the most rewarding night's sleep I'll ever have in the TC.

I'm now "planning" a quick trip out west to Moab. By planning, it means finding general areas I want to visit and what the rules are for camping in them. In the NP I'll need permits, in some of the NFs it is designated spots only, for others NFs, it's at large. However, where I stay exactly will be determined by timing and love of the view. If the area feels safe enough to get out and explore, then it should feel safe enough to spend the night. Avoiding the obvious signs of trouble like trashy streets, graffiti, tire burnouts, and fresh police tape should help out a lot.

As far as dumping, by myself I should be able to stretch it to 7 days, even with my small 11/10 gal tanks. This requires using public facilities during the day and minimizing my kitchen washing. When it does come time to dump, there are numerous options. Most campgrounds allow you to dump for a small fee. A lot of interstate rest areas have rv dumps for free. And I'll have to remember sleepy's backup plan of just calling the local sanitation dept.

We gave planning a long time ago... things and situations change.

My observations here in California lead me to believe that you can get away with boondocking most anywhere for a night... after that someone will worry about you homesteading.

It is my understanding the real master at this sort of thing... Tioga George... is staying pretty much out of CA.

We will probably cross the country on the I-80 corridor starting about the 15th of July... this time looking for electricity for the AC... or propane to run the generator. It will be hot!

hilandfrog

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/09 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahhh the tactical Urban bivouac [emoticon]

Having "Black Out" curtains and and a small rig has me sleeping anywhere.

I like secure places if possible..... Fire halls, police stations, hospitals, even the VA has some handy places.

Otherwise I'll go for any dark spot that a Toyota tundra may "blend" into; ie. NOT Beverly Hills, Aspen or the Hamptons.

Repo

05 Tundra 4x4

1977' Road Ranger, Diddums is in action.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 51hogtied asked about boondocking secrets
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.