RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Finally a Response on the Propane while Driving Question

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Finally a Response on the Propane while Driving Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/09 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just went through the tunnel in Mobile and there are no that signs prohibit propane or propane on.

thanks for the info!

I will guess this will now go on for 10-20 pages, and in the end no one will change there position on this issue.

It's on for me, beer must be at optimal temp upon arrival. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 06/30/09 12:08pm by Learjet *

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2015 Wildcat 317RL, MoRryde rubber pin box, Titan Disc Brakes, Trojan T105
B&W Ram Companion

Yamaha EF2600c tri-fuel generator
Champion Model 46595- 3000/3500w

dmatt

Ventura County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/09 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for taking the time to get an "informed" answer. While they may not be the end all authority, it is obvious that their opinion is sought after and their response is well informed. I for one will continue to leave it one except for when refueling. Everyone will make their own decision, but maybe this will lessen the attacking responses.....

2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/09 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just another item to shed a little light on the subject of leaving the refer ON while refueling, I leave mine on while traveling but do turn it off when refueling. But here in California, they just required all service stations to spend up to $11,000.00 per each pump to retrofit the vapor recovering system on the nozzel so the vapors are NOT emitted into the atmosphere, they go back to the supply tank, so if that is the case, there should be no vapors emitted while refueling to ever reach the area of a flame on your refridge if you forgot to turn it off. Do you think this statement has any merit or am I off base? I still don't recommend that you leave the refer ON or that you smoke or use your cell phone while refueling, but I do beleive we are a lot safer now while refueling because the vapors are being recovered, at least in California.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/09 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me it was decided 30-40 years ago. The systems are designed, built, tested and certified to be on while moving. So my father did it and now I do it with no problems.

hwybnb

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/09 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kajtek1 wrote:

Looks like RVIA is poorly informed.
All BC ferries require propane tanks sealed while using their services.
The requirement to turn off propane on ferries has absolutely nothing to do with leaving it on while driving.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/09 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quit pestering everybody, and turn it off. If I was you I would not even have a propane tank anywhere on my RV, let alone go down the road w/ the fridge on !

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Dixonmatco

Santa Rosa, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/09 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJsfishin wrote:

Quit pestering everybody, and turn it off. If I was you I would not even have a propane tank anywhere on my RV, let alone go down the road w/ the fridge on !

ROFLOL...[emoticon]

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 Komfort Trailblazer T23S
Honda EU2000I

fpresto

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/09 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not only is RIVA biased they are certainly either misinformed or deliberately misstating their power with Maryland . This is a quote from the MTA.

"Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.

Visit the Division of State Documents' website at www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/ to view the actual COMAR regulations: Title 11, Subtitle 7, Chapter 1 (11.07.01).

Yes you can transport 100 lbs but it cannot be in a container larger than 10 lbs which RIVA forgets to mention. So technically they are correct but listening to them will get the majority of RVs a very large ticket. Use the bridge.

USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/09 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fpresto wrote:

Not only is RIVA biased they are certainly either misinformed or deliberately misstating their power with Maryland . This is a quote from the MTA.

"Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.

Visit the Division of State Documents' website at www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/ to view the actual COMAR regulations: Title 11, Subtitle 7, Chapter 1 (11.07.01).

Yes you can transport 100 lbs but it cannot be in a container larger than 10 lbs which RIVA forgets to mention. So technically they are correct but listening to them will get the majority of RVs a very large ticket. Use the bridge.

are you sure that applies to RV's? sounds like the intent of the law is to address loose tanks that are not installed on a vehicle. lots of laws are not 100% clear. If RV's are "carrying" hazardous materials, why are we not displaying one of those cool little signs for Propane and Gasoline?

For example...What about the 28 gallons of gas in my plastic truck tank, is that any better than the 14 gallons of propane in two steel containers? Has any RV gotten a ticket or stopped for this in those areas?

fpresto

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/09 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Learjet - I am sure there is no RV exception. You can read the code yourself and yes many RVs have been ticketed. When a RV goes through the police know that he will generally have a propane container larger than 10 lbs. It is an easy ticket. There are warning signs posted well in advance of the tunnel advising people to use the bridge, however some people always assume that it doesn't apply to them. Of course a RV stands out like a sore thumb.

"If RV's are "carrying" hazardous materials, why are we not displaying one of those cool little signs for Propane and Gasoline?" - I assume because those requirements are mandated by the Federal DOT not the state of Maryland.

The point that I was trying to make is that the e-mail from RIVA was wrong and could mislead people into getting a ticket. I was not commenting on whether the rules are right or wrong. If people want to try the tunnels in Baltimore in a RV that is up to them but an e-mail from RIVA will not get them out of a ticket.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Finally a Response on the Propane while Driving Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.