Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: No deal, No deposit back....r u serious ?

Posted By: Kubo on 06/30/09 07:17pm

Hi all, Just wanted to know if anybody out here had money down on a
rv from a dealership, and could not make a deal. Did the dealership kindly give you back your deposit, or did you have to fight tooth and nail to get it back ? [emoticon] thanks for reading my post and have a great day [emoticon]

Posted By: snowhawkwoman on 06/30/09 07:25pm

You gave them a deposit without first doing all the wheelin and dealin, getting everything in writing, and THEN giving them a deposit? Can I ask why?

"> Snowhawkwoman
"> Big Owl
"> dogs Xena,Phoebe,Spooker,Skippy,Zoe,Taz
"> Punky - the amazing insane Rving Squirrel
1997 Fleetwood Jamboree 29'
The traveling Zoo!

Posted By: thunderstruckhd on 06/30/09 07:28pm

There's got to more to this story...
Why would you put down a deposit before you had a deal ???
Did the dealer hold the RV for you and take it off the market ???
Did you want to change the original deal after the fact ???

Prevost H3-45 Featherlite Vantare
500HP Series 60 Detroit Diesel
Assorted trailers,toys and toads
And Zoie the Doberman.(01/26/01 - 07/23/11) R.I.P.

Posted By: Nascarcruzin on 06/30/09 07:36pm

We never had to place a deposit.

Ronnie & Rebecca
Soddy Daisy, TN
Full-timing since 2004
Check out our adventures:
North to Alaska 2011

Travel Journal Enter the password - 12345
2008 Alaskan adventure
2009 Northeast coast and Canadian Maritimes

1999 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40WDS
FMCA #388387

Posted By: Charlie Q on 06/30/09 07:40pm

We made the deal and told them we needed to think about it for a while (3 days). They didn't require a deposit even after we called to tell them we'd take it. They just said come pick it up after they serviced it. Didn't pay anything until after we signed the paperwork.

'03 Chevy CC/SB,D/A,4X4, Airlift Bags, Bilsteins, Reese 18K slider, Predator programmer.
'06 Mobile Scout 31 BWFS
Yamaha 3000ISEB, Hard wired rearview camera from Rvcams.com

Posted By: Dick A on 06/30/09 07:40pm

Dan, beware we have some rather tough cookies on the forum. [emoticon]
Perhaps you could give just a little more information about the transaction and then I think you would receive a fair and unbiased answer - at least from me. [emoticon]

2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty ">

Posted By: Brodie3Az on 06/30/09 07:52pm

The auto industry would at times try to get an earnest money deposit during negotiations, but really a deposit might only truly serve to protect the sellers interests if a deal has been struck on a specific unit and another buyer was interested in buying same. Lost Sale?

With the current economy, I cannot imagine that buyers are standing in line and therefore requiring any form of deposit might not be called for.

Bottom line, the Deposit serves as leverage to the sellers benefit, not the buyers.

Posted By: avan on 06/30/09 08:12pm

A deposit is made to bind a contract. You don't just write a check and hand it over to a salesman for him to hold just for the fun of it. If you did, you'd at least have it in writing how and when he was to give it back, wouldn't you? That, at least, would be a minimal contract. If you just gave a check without any written agreement of any kind, that would be called a GIFT. So don't say you didn't make a deal. You did. Perhaps you were unable to go through with your deal - like couldn't get financing - but the terms of your written deal would then dictate whether or not your deposit was returned or forfeited.

www.putt10.net

Posted By: snowhawkwoman on 06/30/09 08:13pm

We made the deal and told them we needed to think about it for a while (3 days). They didn't require a deposit even after we called to tell them we'd take it. They just said come pick it up after they serviced it. Didn't pay anything until after we signed the paperwork.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just a tad slow on the uptake, but I'm trying to understand.
You talked to the salesperson about the unit that you wanted, you discussed the price, etc. with them and then told them to give you 3 days to think about it. You took your 3 days to think about it, then you called them and told them you wanted it. they serviced the RV in preparation for you picking it up. You went into the dealership, you signed papers on it, you gave them a deposit AND THEN at some point you decided you didn't want it? And then you wanted your deposit back? Was that what happened?

Posted By: Deen on 06/30/09 10:32pm

Yep, I've had them ask me for some money down to "show I was really interested" before they presented the deal to their upline. I don't do it, I just get up and start for the door. That usually gets their attention!

Posted By: Mandolin Guy on 06/30/09 08:18pm

avan wrote:

If you just gave a check without any written agreement of any kind, that would be called a GIFT.

Nope. A gift has no strings attached. Common business practice, which is an acceptable doctrine to use in court, would dictate that there were some strings. The buyer and the seller may not have actually agreed on what those "strings" were but it wasn't a gift.

I'll watch for this one on "The People's Court."

David

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

Retired Cop, 31 years

Posted By: steelpony5555 on 06/30/09 08:26pm

Nope, My dealer told my up front that they never hold a deposit for any reason. They just want to see that we are really thinking serious about buying and not just kickin the tires. But if we figured out we could not afford it or if the bank didnt come thru they would refund it. I got a good dealer and will go back to them in the future.

14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

Posted By: CA POPPY on 06/30/09 08:28pm

I assume the OP (who has not posted since the first post at the top of this thread) means they made a deposit and couldn't get financing? I would expect to get the deposit back, possibly minus a service fee. They'll insist on mailing it, though, and take their time about it.

Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Posted By: Norm Payne on 06/30/09 08:36pm

I have special ordered two motorhomes and the dealer required a $1K deposit which I thought was fair. I wrote on the contract that if the motorhome was not delivered to me within 90 days or I found the motorhome not acceptable, I would get a full refund. Both motorhomes arrived on time and in perfect condition so I did not have to ask for the deposit back.

Norm
2005 Dutch Star 4015, Cummins ISL 370 hp
2007 Honda CR-V
See Ya Down The Road
http://www.seeya-downtheroad.com

Posted By: snowhawkwoman on 06/30/09 08:44pm

LOL....never mind....I was dumb and assumed that the guy posting that I answered to was the original poster.....duhhhh.....never mind (thanks judy!)

Posted By: javaseuf on 06/30/09 09:28pm

I just purchased a new truck. It was for work and my boss was out of town and couldn't approve of the purchase until he returned the following week. The truck I found was just what we had been looking for. No pricing was discussed but for a $500.00 REFUNDABLE deposit, the dealer held the truck for a week.
Nothing was written down and the deposit was via a credit card.

* This post was edited 06/30/09 09:37pm by javaseuf *

Posted By: Monkey #39 on 06/30/09 09:50pm

yup when I bought my truck put 500 down on it then they did up the finacing etc.. my dad has put deposits on trucks befor to hold it then a day or two later changes is mind they usually give him the money back often he tells them to keep it for the trouble

2009 F150 XLT 5.4L SUPERCREW

1996 Sportsmen 23ft

Posted By: Big Katuna on 06/30/09 09:59pm

Asking for a deposit before negotiating is a cheap dealer trick. Never do it. You should never write a check or put a deposit down until you are completely satisfied with ALL the terms, the price and you are ready to move forward.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Posted By: StanleyandIris on 07/01/09 05:00am

You will have to aggravate them to get your money back and they will hold onto it as long as possible. The salesman works on commission and has a vested interest in keeping your deposit. Write letters to the owner, demand the return of the deposit within X amount of days after which you will seek legal recourse. You will get it back. They didn't earn the deposit. Without a firm sales contract in hand, no one touched that unit to prep it for anything. You are not obligated to pay for a debt not owed.

They will tell you they took it off the market and lost the possibility of a real sale. Baloney. It was there for examination and another exact unit could be located in a day if anyone wanted one just like it.

They try it on everyone and some people walk away without a fight. Don't be one of them.

Iris.

Posted By: djpotts55 on 07/01/09 05:16am

Once you are sure you want a coach, you put the good faith deposit down to lock up the deal so nobody else can purchase it. If the financing falls through or the vehicle does not pass inspection by the bank's vehicle inspector, the deposit should be refunded in full. If you back out of the deal because of buyer's remorse, you lose the deposit. This is standard practice as far as I know concerning deposits.

* This post was edited 07/01/09 09:48pm by djpotts55 *

Donald & Deborah Potts
2004 Newmar Essex (45' / 4 slides / Cummins ISM 500 HP engine)
WorldMark 100,000 NHK credits, Vacation Internationale 319 points, II, RCI
TT Platinum, Escapees, Good Sam & Passport America Life Members
FMCA & Newmar Kountry Klub Members

Posted By: Charlie Q on 07/01/09 05:51am

snowhawkwoman wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just a tad slow on the uptake, but I'm trying to understand.
You talked to the salesperson about the unit that you wanted, you discussed the price, etc. with them and then told them to give you 3 days to think about it. You took your 3 days to think about it, then you called them and told them you wanted it. they serviced the RV in preparation for you picking it up. You went into the dealership, you signed papers on it, you gave them a deposit AND THEN at some point you decided you didn't want it? And then you wanted your deposit back? Was that what happened?

I am not the OP........I was just relating how the deal went down on the 5er we have now and yes, we DID buy it......Never gave them a deposit, signed the papers, wrote the check and brought it home after all paperwork was completed...

Posted By: fla-gypsy on 07/01/09 07:35am

Typically if you purchase a vehicle or RV that is not on the lot and has to be constructed you will be required to place a deposit and rightly so. If you are financing with a dealer for a vehicle or RV on the lot you may have to pay down a % because they will not finance at 100%. If you are not financing with a dealer and are purchasing a RV or vehicle on the lot you don't give them squat until the deal is complete.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Posted By: emtee on 07/01/09 09:23am

Need the OP to come back and finish the story. Until then, we have no idea of the circumstances. There is really nothing in the post to indicate that it actually happened. Could be a hypothetical question.

We did not put down a deposit. Our dealer actually held the unit for three weeks on a phone conversation, until we could get back up and do the paperwork.

Mark and Lucy T.
2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 liter "Fe Balls"
2008 Jayco Eagle 27.5 RKS Super Lite
Superglide on Homemade Removable Rails

Posted By: Boomer719 on 07/01/09 11:00am

This is too funny.

We are on page 3 of this topic with only ONE pretty vague post from the originator.

This thread is pointless without more input from the OP.

Posted By: Horsedoc on 07/01/09 02:19pm

The only situation I could possibly see for the dealer keeping the deposit is if the potential buyer put money down and them delayed finishing the deal when a third party comes along, wanting to deal on the RV in question and was not able to do so because of the deposit. Potential buyer decides to pass on the purchase and the dealership has lost a sale to the third party.
Just not a good idea to put money down until the dealing gets to the serious, 'we are about to buy' stage.

Posted By: dsomonster on 07/01/09 06:36pm

Gave a $1000.00 deposit to hold it over the weekend while the "Closer" mulled over my offer.
I signed a contract for the $1000.00 that it would pull the Motorhome from the sales floor. I read the fine writing and there was nothing there that said they could keep the deposit.
I hand wrote after the last paragraph that I would be entitled to the entire amount of the deposit if a deal was not signed by the Monday after; it was Friday night.
I signed it, the salesperson signed it, and we had a clerk sign it for good measure.
I gave them a check to assure everything could be tracked.
Once we got through the whole contract thing, the dealership figured out I knew what I was talking about and offered not to cash the check until after we struck a deal.
They did not meet my offer, I got my check back on Monday in Burbank, CA. On Tuesday afternoon, I got a dealer in Temecula to take the same offer on the same unit. The only difference was the exterior color.
2008 Gulfstream Supernova 6400N in Luxury Blue.

When it comes to $$$ cover your azz by putting everything in writing. I could imagine how hard it would've been to get my $1000.00 back after not striking a deal. Don't give them any more leverage than they already have.

-Ron

Print  |  Close