|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> May 2009 Trip-part3

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/09 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May 2009 Trip
A Cross Country Journey
California to South Carolina and back
Part 3 Albuquerque, New Mexico

It’s Saturday May 02, 2009

Having arrived late yesterday in Albuquerque, NM at the Flying J and finding that my buddy Dave wouldn’t be back in town till Saturday morning I decide to stay at the Flying J overnight, Dave would meet me here in the morning and true to his word here he is.
[image]
After a quick breakfast we headed over to the Petroglyph National Monument visitor center on Unser Blvd traveling north of the I-40.
[image]
Being there early has its benefits for we almost had the rangers to ourselves. After several questions it was decided that taking in Baco Negra Canyon up the road would be our best choice.
[image]
[image]
Upon approaching the entrance kiosk it looked very dark, hum gate open and nobody home, I headed in anyways and quickly parked my TC.
[image]
Dave had picked Baco Negra Canyon for its easy access to many easy to reach petroglyphs and short walking trails. It wasn’t long before Dave had to show off his artist flare.
[image]
[image]
Continuing on and upward for there where many ancient pictures next to this trail.
[image]
[image]
We were only a couple hundred feet up, but it still was a great view and the end of this trail.
[image]
Video View from Above
Moving on further in the small canyon toward Cliff base Trail and the public restrooms are in this area.
[image]
[image]
Petroglyphs were everywhere on this end of the canyon, as well as wild rabbits.
[image]
[image]
We took in the last area of petroglyphs before heading for Dave’s home in Albuquerque.
[image]
Video Leaving Boca Canyon
Once at Dave’s house he made lunch for us and not long after we were going to Old Town, but not before stopping at Tingly Beach by the Rio Grande on old Route 66.
[image]
[image]
Oh by the way, it’s required to shake hands with Mr. Tingly
[image]
This park is well set up for kids with some fishing ponds, a walking trail by the Rio Grande.
[image]
[image]
Video Rio Grande River
This place even has it’s own narrow gauge trains and train station.
[image]
Video Tingly Train Station
A bit of time went by and it was time to get to down town (Old Town). Parking in Old Town was a bit problematic due to a wedding being held, Dave being a savvy navigator drove around to the museum side of Old Town.
[image]
I was amazed at all the outdoors statues on display through the landscape.
[image]
(Wind and Rain by William Moyers-b 1916)
I was really impressed with this large display called “La Jornada” by Reynaldo Rivera and Betty Sabo. Of course Dave had to get into the picture.
[image]
[image]
From the outdoor display we enter Old Town and spotted a couple of side walk musicians.
[image]
Video Albuquerque Old Town Musicians
We wander around the town square through many of the shops of this fine place. Stopping in front of San Felipe De Neri, the oldest church in Albuquerque, we did take a peek inside and took a few photos.
[image]
[image]
The wedding party was winding down and drifting away from the town square, while a new group was waiting to occupy the stage.
[image]
[image]
Dave and I sat awhile and listen to Muddy River String Band, which took control of the stage. The sun was racing to the west, so I took one more photo before exiting from the Old town area.
[image]
Dave told me that there maybe a chance for a hot air balloon launch in the morning, he won’t know for sure till the morning.
Another night of curve side camping in front of Dave’s house, for 5:00am came around soon enough and news that the balloon flight was cancelled due to too high of wind conditions. At least a gorgeous sunrise was coming.
[image]
Video Sunrise in Albuequerque
After breakfast and good-bye to Dave, I headed to Farwell, Texas to visit my great-uncle A.V. and his lovely wife Florreta. Taking Hwy84 south from Santa Rosa, NM. definitely a road with little amount of trees.
[image]
Video Hwy84, on to Farwell,TX.
Getting to Farwell took a good part of the day, passing through many small towns, some had seen better days.
[image]
I was happy about seeing the Texas state, for it would only be a couple of more blocks to my great-uncle home.
[image]
[image]
This would only be an overnight stay, my uncle and his lovely wife had to attend a funeral in the morning of a friend. A meal shared and catching up on events since the last time I was here. A.V. did aerial reconnaissance during WW2. Another night of curb side camping and it was a peaceful night.
May 05,2009-Monday
Breakfast was light and short for both of us had to get moving this morning. We said our good byes and off we went on our errands, they to the funeral and me to Amarillo, Texas.
[image]
Video On to Amarillo
I had to catch Hwy60 in order to go to Amarillo, which took me back into New Mexico around a corner then back into Texas. As I was passing through Hereford, TX I remember the RV Park that my wife and I had stayed at. It was a miserable night with all the trains coming every 15 minutes that RV Park is no longer exist.
[image]
Going to Amarillo was to see my cousins, it’s been awhile and driving there was only about a couple of hours away from Farwell. Once there I found out they all were under the weather, but not too bad.
[image]
Naomi, Charles, Gayle and me
Charles has been in combat in the Pacific Theater during W2. My visit here would be short and would make the best of it. I had brought some oranges and grapefruit, picked off my trees in California for my cousins. Naomi came out to my truck for the fruit, of course I carried them in for her.
[image]
This ends part3, part 4 coming soon.
All part 3 pictures at Travelingman2 link below

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/09 02:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

7/07/09

Interesting, not a single comment,is my report that bad [emoticon]

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/09 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep the reports coming. I'm taking notes as fast as I can. Really liked the photos of the Albuquerque museum statues.

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/09 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex,
Good report. Where was that narrow gage train? In Albuquerque?
Hope to hook up with you some time for a back country TC trip.
regards, as always, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/09 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jefe 4x4 wrote:

Good report. Where was that narrow gage train? In Albuquerque?
Hope to hook up with you some time for a back country TC trip.
regards, as always, jefe

The narrow gauge train is located at Tingly Park,are you interested in trains of any kind? Hooking up with with you for a back country trip can be done,I'm sure you could show us some great places.

TwoMaineiacs wrote:

Really liked the photos of the Albuquerque museum statues.

There was a lot more statues than shown in my report and there are a variety of styles.

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/09 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Alex, I see you posted on July 2nd. Where was this trip report? You must have hidden it in your back pocket! You have a friend named Dave, he must surely be a great guy lol. Now you have 2 friends named Dave. Been to Amarillo a bunch as a teenager to visit family also. Used to cruise Dairy Queen for fun and drama. Waiting to see the rest of your trip with Julie at some point. Thanks Alex, Dave Rogers

surveyguy

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/09 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for sharing, that petroglyph site, how long were the longer trails that one could see petroglyphs? Thanks! That's so great you shared your citrus, i like to share my jam's i make from fruit from my yard, people just don't get that good/fresh of produce/products in other states.

'03 F250 SD CC SB 7.3PS timbrens, 1 1/4" anti-sways, 4" exh, many mod's.
Lance squirelite,

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/09 12:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

surveyguy wrote:

thanks for sharing, that petroglyph site, how long were the longer trails that one could see petroglyphs? Thanks! That's so great you shared your citrus, i like to share my jam's i make from fruit from my yard, people just don't get that good/fresh of produce/products in other states.

There is another trail that is about 2 miles long in south of Boca Negra. The ones at Boca Negra Canyon were only a few hundred feet.

Capeman1

massachuhsetts

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for sharing your trip. I remembered i few things from my trip out west

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We enjoyed the Old Town section of Albuquerque and the Museun of Natural History. We spent a couple days in Santa Fe too.
Thanks for sharing the trip.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> May 2009 Trip-part3
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.