RV.Net Open Roads Forum: A Tale Of Three Roads (and a Highway) - Part 3 ( Yes, Pics)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> A Tale Of Three Roads (and a Highway) - Part 3 ( Yes, Pics)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/09 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I left off where I camped on the downhill side of the Hell's Backbone bridge. Early the next morning I continued on, descending towards Boulder on the east side.

[image]

The views are better going down, I guess because the road drops more quickly and this is the side where the Escalante Canyons open up.

[image]

Here's a small creek running next to the road. As someone from the desert I am always fascinated by water, and you could tell there had been more of it than usual so far this year - it was green with many species of flower on display.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

No, this is not a flower, but I found this sign somewhat amusing. Not just men OR equipment working mind you, but men AND equipment. And despite the sign, there was no evidence of either!

[image]

I know the early settlers had to make do with whatever was at hand, so I found this example of using the most abundant raw materials around to make a fence interesting. Juniper wood is very resilient, and in good supply.

[image]

Once again as the country opens up, you can see the white sandstone formations of Box - Death Hollow below.

[image]

Rocky Mountain bee plant was growing in profusion.

[image]

Many farmers and ranchers occupy the lower end of the route. The road ends near, but not in Boulder at Highway 12. Here I turned south heading for Cannonville and Skutumpah Road.

Before we get there however I would like to point out that some of the most spectacular scenery in this area can be easily enjoyed by anyone just by traveling Highway 12. That's right - no high clearance or 4 wheel drive needed to experience one of the best views anywhere. I'm talking about the Hogback and surrounding country just south of Boulder.

[image]

The Hogback is an amazing stretch of two lane highway - I've never seen anything else like it, and I've been lots of places. Over a couple of miles the road is suspended along a narrow winding ridge over two equally spectacular canyons to the east and west.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Anyone making a trip to this part of the country owes themselves this
pleasure. Just tooling along Highway 12 between Boulder and Escalante is equal to visiting some of this country's great national parks, and the best part is it's free (well, the cost of gas and time off work, but hey you're already here anyway, right?) Just be sure to pull off the road before taking any pictures, 'cause there's no shoulder, no guardrail, and no stopping 'til you reach the bottom if you leave the road.

[image]

After dropping off the Hogback, there's still some mighty pretty country ahead.

[image]

Looking down into Calf Creek Recreation area - a nice campground along Highway 12.

[image]

The highway winds up the hill out of the canyons. The cross bedded sandstone is a marvel to behold.

[image]

[image]

Can't you see the waves lapping at the shore of some long ago ocean?

[image]

After climbing out of the valley, the road appears to be making a direct line for the appropriately named Straight Cliffs above Escalante. This is the eastern face of the Kaiparowits Plateau.

[image]

After passing through Escalante, the Pink Cliffs of the Aquarius Plateau rise above the surrounding landscape, forming the uppermost step of the Grand Staircase.

[image]

As the highway once again drops into the high desert country before Cannonville, Powell Point looms high above the area called "The Blues". Next stop, Skutumpah Road!

BHale

Cockeysville, Md.

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/09 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the pics!!!!

I've had the pleasure to be there twice since '96 and it's a wonderful place. We stayed at the Calf Creek Campground and made the easy hike to the falls. Only had a couple days to explore the area but with retirement 2.5 years away i assure you we'll be back.

Thanks again for the pics and the report!

Brian [emoticon]

2008 Dodge 4500 Cab and Chassis Quad Cab.
2010 Host Yukon
Lots of mods to both ">

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/09 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seldom Seen:

Tremendous effort, excellent photo essay!!

Many thanks for putting together this huge production.

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/09 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some car magazine rated Highway 12 between Boulder and Escalante as one of the 10 best drives in the country. Now sports car people drive it fast what a shame. Slowing to see the sights is worth the time. Thanks for slowing and showing us the sights.

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

lookinin

Southern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/09 12:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] Many thanks for taking the time to post your photos along with the descriptions. It's a lot of work, but it's sure worth it. We drove part of that area last year and you can't go slow enough to take it all in. Well, you could be 75 and driving a monster diesel pusher - there's no rear view mirrors, apparently. hehe

Cheers,
Kevin

On the road again...

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/09 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And here I just unloaded the camper --

Cal

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/09 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cewillis wrote:

And here I just unloaded the camper --

[emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

Cal - summer's just getting started!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> A Tale Of Three Roads (and a Highway) - Part 3 ( Yes, Pics)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.