RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: Camping around Thunder Bay,ON

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Camping around Thunder Bay,ON

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
slyone65

Central Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/09 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wife and I are heading to Thunder Bay next month. We typically like state parks vs. private. Any recommendations on the local campgrounds would be appreciated. We are in a 21' TT.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/09 10:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went up to Thunder Bay from MN along the shore of Lake Superior. We only spent one night there, we stayed the night at a visitor center/welcome center outside of town. Off or on a major Hwy or interstate-like Hwy. Can't remember the number, etc. We were in a C-class MH. 2001.

I believe I found it: The City of Thunder Bay's official travel and visitor information center, located at the Terry Fox Scenic Lookout.
1000 Highway 11/17
Thunder Bay, ON P7A 0A1, Canada

It is on the Thunder Bay Expy, as you can see on this photo, it has large parking areas & I remember it was at a Scenic Lookout. Photo

* This post was edited 07/13/09 10:55pm by DesertHawk *

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

Anml_341

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/09 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

slyone65 wrote:

The wife and I are heading to Thunder Bay next month. We typically like state parks vs. private. Any recommendations on the local campgrounds would be appreciated. We are in a 21' TT.

Welcome to Canada: We were just in Thunder Bay a week ago, currently travelling the northshore of Lake Superior.

I am assuming you are travelling from Duluth north to Thunder Bay.

Thunder Bay: Inside the city are two well run city parks with campsites - Chippewa and Trowbridge Falls. Both very good.

Just west of the city is Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park, and east of the city is the Sleeping Giant Provincial Park. Both are must see locations.

If you are driving around Lake Superior, let us know and we can give you some ideas. We have made the trip many times.

Have a great visit to Canada and a super trip.

Frank Spence
Ontario Canada
Member: Explorer-RV Club (Canada)
We invite you to check out our website:
General happenings in our lives

Email:frankspence@eastlink.ca

seadawg

Tampa Bay, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/09 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sleeping Giant is a beautiful park, with great hiking trails, and a very nice visitor's center. It is about 35 kilometers off the TransCanada, so there is no highway noise at all. We had a wonderful lakefront site there for two nights this week, and enjoyed our visit very much.

We are camped tonight at Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park. The hilltop campground is very nice. The falls are beautiful.

We camped in a 17 ft travel trailer. Both parks have nice spaces for larger trailers. Have a great trip. The Ontarians have been wonderful hosts on our trip. We'll miss it here, and can't wait to come back.

RTD

NWO Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/09 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kakabeka is great, and very private. I recommend the sites in the 60's, along the outside of the loop. Our favorites.

Sibley is also very nice. Try to book a 200 site, as they are all huge private lots,a nd half of them are on the lake.

go to ontarioparks.com and look around. If you have any questions, let me know, as I live in T Bay...

2007 Ram 1500 HEMI
2008 Jayco 28BHS

RTD

NWO Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/09 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should also mention that neither Kakabeka or Sleeping Giant (Sibley) has full hook-ups. You are only going to get electrical. They both have great dump/fill stations though. Kakabeka just redid theirs a year or 2 ago. If you get a 200 site, bring a lot of extension cord, I have been 100ft from the plug in before...

seadawg

Tampa Bay, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/09 10:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the provincial parks we camped in (in Ontario) had electric in some sites, and a water and/or dump station elsewhere. This did not present a problem for us, as we planned for it. Actually, we often found the best sites (lakefront, last minute), didn't hae electric either, but also no big deal. We have two batteries, and 200 watts of solar. No need for ac on the lakefront, and I don't care for microwaves, anyway.
A long extension cord is nice to carry. The shared power "bush" can be a long way away if you paid for hydro and want to use it. However, most offices in the provincial parks will loan a cord with a $20 Canadian deposit, returnable with the cord. Our friend who traveled with us found this to be helpful several times.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Camping around Thunder Bay,ON
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.