RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Generator on while driving?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Generator on while driving?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jabba2009

road

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/09 11:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your family is going all out on the elctronics while driving..tv, microwave,etc... Do you run your generator while driving? do you turn it on and off while driving.

They say there are no stupid questions but I might be hitting the bottom of the barrel.

[emoticon]

Thanks
Sean

SPRING STREET

LOUISVILLE KY.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/09 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If weather is warm and you need A/C I would run it! If it's just for the microwave I turn it off an on.. Also depends on the size of the inverter !

2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. ">

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/09 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you need more than dash a/c, then you need to run the gen while traveling, but otherwise, NEVER.

We (inverter) crock pot all the time while traveling. Thats why engines have alternators [emoticon]

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Lilli

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/09 11:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We drive with our generator going specially when its hot out as we run the A/C as we also have animals and the regular A/C doesn't work in the back of the rig. And at that time i can put the crock pot on and have dinner ready when we get to were we are going.

For those that want to know about Oregon http://groups.yahoo.com/group/campinginoregon/

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/09 11:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick answer is yes to both Qs. The longer answer [emoticon] follows:

In the late '90s until 2005, our RV was a C-Class MH and we had ran the generator at times. Not for all out elctronics use, which we did not have, but to run the A/C. I remember the longest trip running the generator was between Las Cruces and the LA area of southern California. Temps were in the triple digits, we needed the A/C on the roof to keep the inside of the couch cool. We got a late start and had to spend a night sleeping at a rest area in Arizona, the one before getting to Quartizite (sp?). It ran all night and most of the time getting there and on the next day. We would turn the A/C off a few minutes before stopping to re-fuel to keep the generator from over heating. We would turn generator off while re-fueling.

We did not have to use it on many trips, but on a few. There were 5 of us on the trip I mentioned. The salesman had told us about running the generator to run the A/C on very hot days.

We would often turn it on & off using the micowave while driving.

I see no reason not to run the generator if you & yours need the power for all out elctronics use.

But there is a lot of really neat real life landscape just outside the RVs windows, hope they don't miss seeing some of it. [emoticon]

Edit addition: Of course one can have too many electronic running at once, depends on size of the generator, how much power is need to run each object. We could not run the A/C and the Micowave at the some time for an example.

* This post was edited 07/14/09 12:00am by DesertHawk *

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

bldrbuck

one or the other

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/09 11:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as the generator exhaust won't be sucked into the rig we will use the generator.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/09 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alot of those big class A rear engine rigs that pull into the rv park often have the generator running when they pull in. It's easily noticed cause the generator exhaust pipe is usually in the front and the engine is in the back.

01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

clayway

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/09 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we do not boondock much so it is important that we exercise our generator on a regular basis. I like the idea of doing my generator exercising while we are cruising down the road.

SteveLevin

Sunnyvale, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/09 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the summer heat we run it to power the roof A/C otherwise the rig would be cooking by the time we got anywhere. It's also a way to not run dash air when doing a lot of climbing.

But when it's cool in April we often don't use it.

Steve

JAXFL

Jacksonville, Florida, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/09 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If hot then we run the gennie while driving. If the trip is going to be long and the GKs get board I run it long enough for a DVD movie then turn it off. If we want to eat I stop at a rest stop and fix food, I don't like anyone cooking while I drive, not even the microwave as the stuff you mic is hot when done.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Generator on while driving?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.