|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Colorado Adventure

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
FishPOET

La Habra, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/09 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tracy and I left Norco at 9am on Saturday July 25. Just North of Victorville the CHP had 10 units working with a cessna to pull over speeders. We had the cruise control set on 60 so no worries. Just past Daggett on I40 we were buzzed by two low flying military jets. We rolled onto the Coconino National Forest near Flagstaff at 5:30pm and found a spot for the night on forest road 9125 near Lockett Meadow. It rained for about a half hour.

Camp in the Coconino National Forest
[image]

Sunday July 26 we were back on the road at 6:30am. We stopped for breakfast about 9am in northern Arizona and saw an electric freight train pass by. We were at Four Corners by 2pm and in Durango Colorado by 4pm. We spent the night just outside Durango in Junction Meadow Campground. No rain today.

Junction Meadow Campground
[image]

Monday July 27 found us at the San Juan Public Lands Information Center in Durango at 8am getting maps and books and advice on camping areas. Back on Highway 550 we started climbing out of Durango. There are 2 passes between Durango and Silverton. Coal Bank Pass at 10,640' and Molas Pass at 10,910'. We drove through Silverton and found a place to camp on Mineral Creek. We set up camp, offloaded the Jeep and ran up to Clear Lake at 11,950'. Back down to the Mineral Creek Trail and we ran it all the way to the end. Back to camp at 6pm. We had just a bit of rain in the afternoon.

Molas Pass
[image]

Clear Lake
[image]

Camp on Mineral Creek (we are less than 100' from the creek!)
[image]

Tuesday July 28 We left camp at 9am and took 110 to Gladstone. From there we headed up Hurricane Pass then over to California Pass and California Gulch. We had lunch back in camp and ran Red Mountain after lunch. It rained and hailed most of the afternoon.

Wednesday July 29 Tracy stayed in camp while I headed up to Ouray and met up with Russ Chung and his group of 10 rigs from jeepexpeditions.org. We started the morning on Yankee Boy Basin. After Yankee Boy Basin we headed over to Sidney Basin and then Governor Basin. I got back to camp at 6pm. It rained and hailed most of the afternoon.

Thursday July 30 we headed up Corkscrew Gulch to Corkscrew Pass. From here we headed up to Hurricane Pass Overlook and then back to camp for lunch. After lunch we got a space in the Silver Mountain RV park for the night. We did some laundry, got some groceries and got caught up on the web.

All the pics can be seen at http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/FishPOET/Colorado%2009/

We can be tracked at SPOT GPS Tracker

To be continued......

dezertcamper

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/09 11:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great story so far! It looks like you have a very nice set-up with the truck/camper and Jeep. Your pictures are great and I bet your having a great time.

kampinglovers

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/09 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you try to go over Big Bear pass into Telluride? Just wondered if it was open all the way yet. When we were there July 4th it was closed at the top due to all the snow....Beautiful area. We did Engineer Pass and Animas Forks along with several others that I don't know as I wasn't driving on one of our jeep days.

DH, me and our 3.5 lb Yorkie "Missy"
2006 Dodge 1Ton
2008 KZ New Vision 41RLN
2005 HD Road King Custom

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/09 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug,

What was the trail to Clear Lake like? We've never been up there.

Yes, Black Bear Pass is now open.

Imogene is our favorite 4x4 pass in that area.

Brad

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

FishPOET

La Habra, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/09 11:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

Doug,

What was the trail to Clear Lake like? We've never been up there.

Yes, Black Bear Pass is now open.

Imogene is our favorite 4x4 pass in that area.

Brad

The trail to Clear Lake is pretty easy. There is a nice waterfall on the way up.

FishPOET

La Habra, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/09 11:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friday July 31 we boarded a bus in Silverton at 7:45am that took us down to Durango. The bus driver was an older gentleman and he narrated for us the whole history of Silverton and Durango on the 1-1/4 hour trip. It was quite interesting. We arrived in Durango at 9am, had breakfast and boarded the Durango & Silverton coal fired narrow gauge steam train for the trip back to Silverton. The ride took 3-1/2 hours and paralleled the Animas River most of the way. It was an outstanding experience. We were back in camp at 2pm and after a quick lunch it was back out on the trails. First up was Eureka Gulch. Next was Minnie Gulch. Then on to Maggie Gulch. And finally Arrasta Gulch. Back at camp at 6pm.

The train in the Animas Gorge
[image]

Aerial Tramway Station in Eureka Gulch
[image]

Aerial tramway with metal towers in Arrasta Gulch
[image]

Saturday August 1 we met back up with Russ and his friend Woody at Corkscrew Gulch at 9:30am. We ran Grey Copper Gulch and Brown Mountain trails. We went up Corkscrew Gulch and over Corkscrew Pass. Over to Hurricane Pass and then California Pass, down to California Gulch. Next was Placer Gulch then Picayne Gulch. We made a brief stop at Animas Forks and then we climbed to Cinnamon Pass. We turned around and headed back down Cinnamon and over to Engineer Pass. We did not climb Engineer Pass. Instead we headed down Mineral Creek Trail to Poughkeepsie Gulch Trail. We saw a bear! We had heard that Poughkeepsie Gulch had one tough obstacle and we wanted to give it our best shot. I made it up. We went up and over Hurricane Pass and down to Gladstone, on to Silverton where we had dinner at the Bent Elbow. For the first time all week it did not rain.

The Poughkeepsie obstacle
[image]

Top of Corckscrew Pass
[image]

Sunday August 2 we ran Cunningham Gulch and Stony Pass. We crossed the Great Divide and saw the headwaters of the Rio Grande. We had lunch at 1pm and packed up camp headed for Ouray. We are set up in the 4J+1+1 RV park right on the Uncompahgre River for the next 4 nights. Some friends from San Diego are in the area and we had dinner with them at The True Grit in Ridgway. 2 days in a row with no rain.

Top of Cunningham Gulch aka Top of the World
[image]

Headwaters of the Rio Grande
[image]

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/09 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures and fun looking trip. Makes a guy want to live closer to the mountains. For some reason I have John Denver ringing in my ears. Thanks for posting!

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/09 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice report FostPOET, looks like you all had a blast. I enjoyed the video of the obstacle - I rode down that gulch on my dirt bike once - and it's funny how different things are on a bike. Zipped on down the road and didn't think much about it but then read reports that was listing it as a really tough 4x4 road. Then I vaguely remembered having to wait for a few ATV'ers to negotitate one spot - I think it was the one in your movie.

Interesting to hear about the speeder traps they had near Victorville. In my 4 trips back and forth between Vegas and Lancaster last month, it seemed like everyone was driving at insane speeds and I was surprised that the cops weren't seemingly doiong much. You WOULD need a plane and a bunch of troopers to be able to pull over a big line of cars, bumper to bumper, driving 85.

whazoo wrote:

Great pictures and fun looking trip. Makes a guy want to live closer to the mountains. For some reason I have John Denver ringing in my ears. Thanks for posting!

Funny how the time John Denver was most ringing in my ears was in Virginia. We were camped along the Shanandoah River by the Blue Ridge Mountains. We pulled in at night, and in the morning told my wife "Hey! We just woke up in a John denver song."

FishPOET

La Habra, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/09 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Monday August 3 we ran the Alpine Loop with the San Diego Geocachers. We went up Mineral Creek. Up Engineer Pass. Over to Lake City. We took a side trip to American Basin and then down Cinnamon Pass. We stopped in Animas Forks. We headed back for the Mineral Creek Trail and out to Ouray. 3 days in a row with no rain. Now the dusty trails are becoming a problem!

Engineer Pass
[image]

Marmot
[image]

Broke dam near Lake City
[image]

Tuesday August 4 we ran with the San Diego Geocachers up Mineral Creek, up Poughkeepsie Gulch, up to California Pass, down California Gulch, up to Placer Gulch, down Picayne Gulch, through Silverton to Hwy 550. We went up Ohpir Pass and through the town of Ophir. We went to Telluride on Hwy 145. We took Last Dollar Rd to Hwy 62 back in to Ridgway. 4 days in a row with no rain! Tracy made the observation that we started the day on the Million Dollar Highway and ended up on Last Dollar Rd.

Lake Como
[image]

Ophir Pass
[image]

Last Dollar Rd
[image]

Wednesday August 5 we ran Black Bear Pass and Imogene Pass. What a treat both trails are. We had been waiting to run these two trails since we got to Colorado and they did not disappoint. We had a few afternoon thundershowers.

Black Bear Pass
[image]

Black Bear Pass switchbacks coming down into Telluride. Ingram Falls is on the left and Bridal Veil Falls is on the right.
[image]

Bridal Veil Falls
[image]

Imogene Pass
[image]

Thursday August 6 we loaded up the camper and Jeep and headed for Mushroom Gulch, the campsite for the geocaching event Mountain Fiesta near Buena Vista. GC1QY7N
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_det........uid=d4ca0ef6-964d-45fd-ae3e-c5ab2f8f1456

FishPOET

La Habra, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/09 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting rig camped next to us in Mushroom Gulch
[image]

Friday August 7 Dave and Eric led 10 of us up Mt Antero.

Mt Antero Trail
[image]

Mt Antero 14,269. My first 14er since I was a teenager on Mt Whitney.
[image]

After Mt Antero we headed for Brown Lake.
[image]

On Saturday August 8 Dave and Eric led 13 of us on Chinaman Gulch.

Chinaman Gulch Trail with Mt Princeton in the background
[image]

Group shot on Chinaman Gulch
[image]

Some flex on Chinaman Gulch
[image]

After dinner we all sat around the campfire telling tall tales for hours.

Sunday August 9 we packed up the truck, camper and Jeep and headed for my cousins house in Parker Colorado. My mom and dad drove in from Indiana.

Monday August 10 we arrived in Golden Colorado at the Coors Brewery at 10:15am. It is the largest brewery in the world covering 55 acres.

After Coors we wanted to go tour Fat Tire but after a phone call we found out they are closed on Mondays.

We drove back to Denver and headed for the US Mint. We arrived at 3:15pm only to find out that it closed to visitors at 3pm.

My mom and dad headed back for Parker while Tracy, my cousin Chris and I enjoyed some refreshments at some of the pubs along the 16th St Mall. We rode the bus to the train station and got our tickets for the train ride home after the game.

We met a friend Lynn at will call at 5:30 and headed into Coors Field. The Rockies beat the Cubs 11-5 and Troy Tulowitzki hit for the cycle.

Sunset at Coors Field
[image]

Back in Parker Colorado at 10pm.

Tuesday August 11 we left Parker Colorado, my cousin Chris, Dave and their family and my mom & dad at 8:15am and started the long journey home. We drove until 8pm and found a camping spot in the Fish Lake National Forest, Utah, off route 2691.

[image]

Wednesday August 12 we left Fish Lake National Forest at 8:15am and arrived back in Norco at 8:15pm.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Colorado Adventure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.