|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Warning on Monaco and Holiday Rambler RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DieselDon

CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/09 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zxer wrote:

If Monaco is up and running again, under Navistar, will they still be required to fix this problem ?

I have heard that Navistar bought everything but the liabilities, so I don't know how that will work out.

2003 Holiday Rambler "Ambassador" 36'
Toad = 2003 Explorer "Sport Trac"
Northern CA

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/09 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK folks, thanks for the information about the price. However, I went out and checked my 2001 Knight (R4R) and can't find anything that looks like the parts in the pictures. My trailing arms (or at least what I think are the trailing arms) are about 4" wide and 6" tall and welded out of at least 1/2 to 3/4 steel. Those things are so massive there is no way they could ever break. So I guess Monaco didn't make them all alike. Or am I looking in the wrong place?

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/09 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hohenwald48 wrote:

OK folks, thanks for the information about the price. However, I went out and checked my 2001 Knight (R4R) and can't find anything that looks like the parts in the pictures. My trailing arms (or at least what I think are the trailing arms) are about 4" wide and 6" tall and welded out of at least 1/2 to 3/4 steel. Those things are so massive there is no way they could ever break. So I guess Monaco didn't make them all alike. Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Chris,

Was Bill Halberstadt's post on page 2 of this thread of any help in identifying which suspension you have? There are certainly 2 different ones mentioned by Bill.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/09 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suppose it would if I could somehow figure out how to tell one from the other. But mine is nothing like the pictures on page 1. Maybe I have one of the "illegal" 23K axles that SCHARLEY mentioned. I might try to post a pic of mine if I can take one under the rear end of the coach.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/09 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris,

I have no first hand information on this, but Bill's post made it clear to me:

"Just a tidbit: Not all coaches on the "recall list" are affected. The rear suspension involved is by Nu-Way. The rear suspension on my 2003 Safari Cheetah is by Reyco, and the trailing arms go over the axle rather than under. I've never seen another 2003 Cheetah with a Reyco rear suspension, but it does indicate that Monaco/Safari was not consistent in what they put under the chassis."

Let us know if your trailing arm goes OVER the AXLE= Reyco= no problem.

OR

If your trailing arm goes UNDER the AXLE= Nu-Way= RECALL/problem.

Tarheel 2

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/09 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never received a recall notice on my 04 Ambassador. I'm wondering if some of the coaches that they knew were not affected did not receive the notice, or did I just get missed. I guess I'll have to get it checked out to be sure.

I did have a U bolt failure within the first 5,000 miles and I had it checked out after a rear vibration began.

* This post was edited 08/07/09 07:56am by Tarheel 2 *

Tarheel

mscamping

any place, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/09 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours was beefed up at the Elkhart service center and then rechecked, I think twice when we were there for service when the recall first came out, but I'm going to crawl under and check them just to be sure everything is OK.. Ours is an R4R chassis not RR4R.. So it affects two different chassis.. Ours also had the front ones beefed up to if I remember right..Thanks for the heads up..

2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36 PBD - ISB 300 Cummins- Allison MH2000 5 speed
2013 Equinox w/Blue Ox Aventa II & SMI Stay-n-Play Duo
FMCA 331658 HRRVC 105155 Chapter - 57- Good Sam Life Member - Coach Net - 3/4 timers
Mike & Sharon

DieselDon

CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/09 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2005/V/RCDNN-05V053-9626.PDF
Monaco letter to NHSTA listing models and serial numbers.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23058413/srt/pa/pging/1/page/3.cfm
other info

I believe the recall only involves R4R chassis

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/09 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DieselDon wrote:

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2005/V/RCDNN-05V053-9626.PDF
Monaco letter to NHSTA listing models and serial numbers.

Link: Monaco letter to NHSTA listing models and serial numbers.

DieselDon wrote:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23058413/srt/pa/pging/1/page/3.cfm
other info

Link: other info

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/09 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My trailing arms go under the axle but are much (and I mean a whole lot) beefier than the ones in the pictures on the first page of this thread. I went out and took some real good pictures but can't figure out how to post one here. If anyone wants to see what I'm talking about I would be glad to email a picture to you.
Chris

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Warning on Monaco and Holiday Rambler RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.