|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> May 2009 Trip, part4

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/09 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May 2009 Trip
A Cross Country Journey
California to South Carolina and back
Part 4, Albuquerque to Cameron, Missouri
All of part4Photos

May 06,2009

This would most likely be the longest single drive today, for I was determine to make Cameron, Missouri today (690miles). I bid my cousins farewell and headed east on yond interstate (I-40). Clouds were hoving not far above the ground, for as I passed a giant cross off the road well travel it’s top had vanished into the milky white mist floating above.
[image]
[image]
Not much farther a drunken water tank made its appearance and was leaning a little bit too far.
[image]
Time for a pit stops at the last Texas rest area, needed to stretch my legs and use their restroom (morning coffee caught up with me)
[image]

I had promised my dear wife a tee shirt with a wolf on it, so a stop at Cherokee’s was a must, along with getting some buffalo meat.
[image]
Traffic was light and moving along nicely, clouds were showing some effort of moving higher up and no rain so far. A few wind generators had become visible off the interstate and I don’t recall them being there the last time I came through this area.
[image]

Moving passed the green landscape on into Oklahoma. Some improvement had been done at least till I made the interchange for the I-44 and the rough condition were still there, at least till passed Tulsa. Some where past mile marker 148 (I-44) traffic came to a crawl?
[image]

I had though there was than accident ahead, it would turn out to be bridge construction 10 miles ahead.
[image]
Burning up a number of miles and enjoying the passing landscape, coming from a basic desert area of California it was refreshing to see all this green. Running a little low on steam I pulled into a picnic area along for lunch and a short power nap.
[image]
Tollbooths were an easy in/out situation; my total cost for this toll road was 7 dollars. Of course one still have drive through the “Golden Arches” of the I-44.
[image]
Having to wade my way around another road construction area, at least someone is tiring to fix their roads. Being in unknown territory I was relying on my GPS for guidance and I have been having some trouble with it. It would without any notice reroute me in the wrong direction and it did it to me again, I found myself entering Kansas instead of Missouri. Getting back on track and finding SR71 off the I-44 in Missouri.
[image]
Video Highway 71
Sometime some unusual sights are view as one is zipping along the hiway, such as this giant mushroom.
[image]
Nightfall came before I reached Kansas City; I had to be really careful driving through Kansas City due to all the construction and narrow lanes. I though I had timed warped back to Los Angeles with all the tight lanes.
[image]
May07, 2009

Having arrived late in Cameron at my daughter Karrin and Michelle home, I parked in their driveway and called it a night. Getting up late that morning and just hanging around the house for the day. Later I took my daughter Karrin to a little restaurant in town called Ma and Pa Kettle, like in the movies of long ago. This place as it turned out to be the local watering hole for a lot of Cameron’s population. Tomorrow would have us going to Jamestown for a craft fair and my first contact with some Amish folks, a few of them lived in the area.
[image]
[image]
[image]
Jamestown downtown area was close to stepping back 70 years with it many old style buildings. Many of those were gift shops or antique shops with several temping buys. I was told that a trip to Jamestown isn’t complete until you see the “Harris” cabin.
[image]
[image]
[image]
A farewell to Jamestown, for we had to get back before all the kids got home from school and tomorrow would be a trip to Kansas city Zoo.
May9, 2009
Waking the kids up took a bit of time, being Saturday they weren’t in much of a hurry until reminded it’s zoo day! It didn’t take them long after that to get into my truck, the way they were acting up I thought there was a bunch of monkeys in back.
[image]
Than hour later entering Kansas City Zoo parking area. A nice layout with parking areas split into two sections.
[image]
Here’s a good-looking crew and already for the critter sightseeing
[image]
Entering a new building folks were greeted by a small fur ball that children gather around to see.
[image]
This was a new exhibit at the zoo with several types of monkeys on display.
[image]
Video[emoticon]onkies
I’ve been to several different zoos during my life and I have to say that this zoo is a well thought out plan. There would be a lot to see and ground to be traveled
[image]
Passing by the Elephant enclosure, I have always been amazed by these giant creatures.
[image]
The kids had fun with interaction with a lama
[image]
Feeding the deer
[image]
Video Feeding the Deer
I would have to say that the Kangaroo’s exhibit was outstanding; by this I mean there are no fences between you and the Kangaroo’s. I’m standing there watch them eating grass and no movement on their part to join us!
[image]
Video Kangaroo's
Kansas City Zoo was indeed a wonderful place to spend the day at.
May 10, 2009
Time again to burn up some asphalt in the direction of Lexington, KY. After topping off my tank, I headed to Highway 36 going east for I didn’t want to go back through the congestion of Kansas City.
[image]
Video Exiting at Macom
Making to Macon, MO., Heading south on hightway63 passing by a National Guard unit.
[image]
Making to I-70 east to Highway 54south, nearing my destination of Cedar Creek District in the Mark Twain National Forest.
[image]
I wasn’t sure about the location of Pine Ridge campground and dropping by the local Department of Forest office was a dead end, they are closed on the weekends. Wandering along the country road with what little information I’d had, passing by several homes before finding some folks mowing their lawn. I stopped to ask for direction and as it was the gent I’d asked knew exactly where I needed to be. I thank him and not long of a drive I was pulling in where my rig and I were staying for this night.
[image]
Pine Ridge is a small campground that only asks for donations, for this you get a fairly quiet wooded area with each site having a picnic table, fire ring, bar-be-que stand and for at least during my stay all the wood you could burn
[image]
38.75902N 92.14453W
Video Pine Ridge Campground
A group of Boy Scouts was winding up their weekend activities and before leaving they did a systematic cleaning of all their trash, not one piece was left behind.
[image]
After settling in I decided on a hike before it was time to make my evening meal, so off I went down the nearest trailhead (next to my site), not knowing where I would end up.
[image]
During my little excursion down this unknown trail a wild man shelter came into view, I started looking around for Big Foot, for it was a rather larger shelter.
[image]
There were some colorful flowers seen during my trail walk.
[image]
[image]
An easy walk and forty minutes later the trail looped back to the campsite across from mine.
[image]
It was time to get busy and make my dinner, lets see bacon wrapped filet mijon, along with a salad and a foiled wrapped bake potatoes cooked over hot coals
[image]
Foiled potatoe on the grill with a nice fire on the side and what happens, the sky started to cry on my dinner. Well off to the camper, poured myself a Jack and coke, hoping that the rain would blow over.
[image]
Video Rain Gods
Luck was with me, for the rain Gods took pity upon me and ceased the falling liquid from above. Dinner was seemed extra good, having a great place to dine. Well it goodnight time, for tomorrow morning is marching forward and I need a good night sleep.
[image]

Part5, On to Lexington, KY and see my new grandbabies,coming soon. Feel free to leave any comments or questions you may have.

* This post was last edited 08/09/09 03:55pm by c.traveler2 *   View edit history

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

kknowlton

southeast Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/09 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice photo-essay! I enjoyed the trip too. [emoticon]
Just a quick correction - those folks you saw in MO weren't "shaker" but Amish or Mennonite. Big difference (Shakers are celibate.) [emoticon]
Thanks for sharing your trip!

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/09 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I bid my cousins farewell and headed east on yond interstate (I-40). Clouds were hoving not far above the ground, for as I passed a giant cross off the road well travel it’s top had vanished into the milky white mist floating above.

Nicely written!

Outstanding Trip Report; exceptionally well documented!

Looking forward to Part V.

Cheers,
Silver (Mrs Dunes is out of town for a week, but she'll enjoy this one on return!)

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

travelinglane

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/09 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice. Looks like you are having a great trip!

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/09 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kknowlton wrote:

Nice photo-essay! I enjoyed the trip too. [emoticon]
Just a quick correction - those folks you saw in MO weren't "shaker" but Amish or Mennonite. Big difference (Shakers are celibate.) [emoticon]
Thanks for sharing your trip!

I'll make that correction,I didn't know the different.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> May 2009 Trip, part4
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.