|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Yosemite and Half Dome from the top

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/09 12:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raiders5 wrote:

Jeff,
Take the hike...you might lose 12 more pounds in a day! Half Dome is 8,832 feet above sea level. Yosemite Valley floor is about 4,ooo feet. There are two stretches of the trail that climb 1,500 feet in 1 mile. I think I lost 5 pounds. I took a 100 ml. Camelback filled with water and used it ALL...but it was 90+ degree's last week.

I bet I would lose the weight.
I could probably do the hike if I take my time and play it smart.
Fortunately, I work as a general contractor so I'm doing physical activity all day. I'd hate to see what I'd look like if I was an accountant or had any desk bound job. Jabba The Hutt comes to mind.
I do go on hikes all the time but not that aggressive. Six or so miles of flat or rolling hill terrain is no problem. Add 8000~ feet with a steep incline, throw in 90+ degrees and now we need to think about things.

I guess I'm size aware because DW showed me a picture of myself and the cat she snuck after I fell asleep on the couch. That belly was not a pretty sight. I intend to have it gone over the next few months.

Jeff

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/09 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome... we do lots of hiking out East (going again this weekend!) but You and whazoo are really inpsiring Me to head West!
Those cables look very cool!

Somebody raised a good point; quite a log jam going up...what if you are heading down?
Is there sufficient room to pass?

Nice hike, and quite a bit of elevation for 1 hill!

Bill

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/09 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing your excellant adventure.

Places like this are what keeps us on the road....

Sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

Raiders5

Morgan Hill, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/09 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

Somebody raised a good point; quite a log jam going up...what if you are heading down?

There are a few people coming down in the photo of the log jam of people on the cables. There is room, you just squeeze around each other. Most were stopped because they were tired, short of breath and resting. Took about 30 minutes to ascend the cables. It's amazing how friendly everyone is on those cables. Many European tourists...I learned German on the way up and French on the way down!

* This post was edited 08/17/09 08:22am by Raiders5 *

Raiders5
2005 F-350 PSD, Crew Cab, 2WD Dually, Lariat, ARP Head Studs, Bulletproof EGR Cooler, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Edge Insight, Air Bags, Rancho 9000's w/in Cab Control, Torklift Stable Loads
2005 Lance Max 1181 All Options

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/09 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raiders5 wrote:

billtex wrote:

There are a few people coming down in the photo of the log jam of people on the cables. There is room, you just squeeze around each other. Most were stopped because they were tired, short of breath and resting. Took about 30 minutes to ascend the cables. It's amazing how friendly everyone is on those cables. Many European tourists...I learned German on the way up and French on the way down!

I'm jealous, thanx for sharing the pics!

Bill

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/09 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy, I have never seen so many rocks and so little dirt. Absolutely fantastic views. Thanks for the photos.

Wayne

PopBeavers

Coarsegold, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/09 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always was backpacking when I did the top. So we were among the first up in the morning the one time out of three that we did a morning climb instead of an evening climb. It was near empty when we went up. When we came down the line going up was jammed end to end. We went down the outside of the cables to go around everyone. Make sure you wear gloves. There is usually a large pile at the bottom for you to use, but I bring my own. Leather palm is best, but even just a decent pair of garden gloves would be adequate.

Try going up the Mist Trail from the valley floor to Little Yosemite Valley, above Nevada Falls, carrying a 45 pound backpack! I like going up the Mist Trail but prefer going down the horse trail. Down the steps is hard on the knees and by the end of the day my legs are getting wobbly. Besides, the horse trail offers different scenery.

for a real hike, you could take the horse trail down part way and then cut over ti Illioutte Falls and then up to Glacier Point and then down to the valley. I have not done that, yet.

We always have a backpacking water pump and filter with us, so we can refill water along the way. there is plenty of water all the way up to Little Yosemite Valley. As you climb from there then the next water opportunity is nearly a mile due east on the trail to Clouds Rest. I don't use that unless I am going to Clouds Rest. There is one other water source as you work your way up the trail to Half Dome. It is right beside the trail. It might be dry in late summer.

Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2015 Ford F350 diesel 6.7L 4x4 crew cab short bed
Super Glide hitch

Raiders5

Morgan Hill, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/09 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PopBeavers wrote:

We always have a backpacking water pump and filter with us, so we can refill water along the way. there is plenty of water all the way up to Little Yosemite Valley. As you climb from there then the next water opportunity is nearly a mile due east on the trail to Clouds Rest. I don't use that unless I am going to Clouds Rest. There is one other water source as you work your way up the trail to Half Dome. It is right beside the trail. It might be dry in late summer.

That is very good advice. I do carry a water filter, which was used by some others hiking with me, but I was able to make it back to the water fill-up station at the foot bridge under Vernal Falls (less than a mile up from the valley floor). I ran out about 1/2 mile before that.

PopBeavers

Coarsegold, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/09 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raiders5 wrote:

PopBeavers wrote:

That is very good advice. I do carry a water filter, which was used by some others hiking with me, but I was able to make it back to the water fill-up station at the foot bridge under Vernal Falls (less than a mile up from the valley floor). I ran out about 1/2 mile before that.

For people that like to do a lot of hiking and can not carry adequate water with them there is another product that is smaller than a backpacking pump/filter.

It is, essentially, a filter that fits on the end of a stiff plastic straw. You put creek/river water in the bottle and as you suck through the straw the water is filtered.

Since I already have a pump/filter for backpacking ($65 the last time I looked) I just take that. One per group is all you need.

For the filter on the end of the straw, unless you want to "share spit" then every person would need their own.

Here is one for 10 bucks. I just picked one at random from a Google search to demonstrate what I was talking about.

water filter straw

kcabpilot

CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/09 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went up the Mist Trail in mid June one time on a year that had record snowfall so the river was really roaring. I bought one of those $1 ponchos and was snickering at all of the thoroughly soaked hikers on the trail, figuring I was pretty darn smart. Well I got to that point where the trail goes through a hole hacked out of the rock and when I stepped through the wind lifted that poncho up like a skirt and wrapped it around my head.

Not only did I get soaked but since I was now also blind I stepped in a big puddle and filled my right shoe with water [emoticon]

Great adventures though and spectacular scenery. I didn't feel so bad when we got to the top of Nevada Falls, all sweaty and hot. My friend walked over to the rail at the edge and looked down at which point his $300 pair of Oakley sunglasses fell of his head and plummeting into the mist below!

Oh yea, and that was back when cameras used to have film in them. As we neared the bottom of the trail I was using up my last shots and watched the counter got to 37, 38, 39..... Film didn't get taken up on the spool so I got zero pictures from that hike.

1994 Lance 990 on 1997 F350 PSD Dually "Rhino Haunches"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Yosemite and Half Dome from the top
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.