Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Topic: Can my garage dryer outlet be used to power my MH?

Posted By: lagreca on 08/18/09 05:02pm

javaseuf wrote:

Correct and the OP needs a 4-prong since he asked for info on 50-amp service.

Actually, I think it would be quite hard to get a 50amp circuit, as it would require pulling new wire through the ceiling, so all I'm looking for is 30 amps (that is what is already in the garage).

My motorhome is 50amp capable, but I have the converter cable to go down to 30 amp connector.

If I understand the power requirements of my RV, I'm just trying to supply 30 amps @ 120 volts to my RV. Just to run the fridge and maybe the a/c while we are getting it ready to take out.

I'm going to open the receptacle tonight to see whats involved. I'll report back on what I find. Thanks.

Posted By: Acampingwewillgo on 08/18/09 06:23pm

Excellent illustration...now take a few pictures of the different circuit breaker configurations with appropriate wiring diagrams for both 30a/120 volt, 30a/120/240 volt and 50a/120/240 volt...then the moderator can make your pictures one of those sticky threads and all confusion regarding this issue will be solved! Once again..Great Pictures IMHO

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

Posted By: Dutch_12078 on 08/18/09 06:24pm

Bobbo wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

RJsfishin wrote:

I'm going to say it again,...
An RV circuit needs 3 wires !

A dryer circuit has 3 wires,....count'm, 1,..2,..3 !
Now mount an RV receptical next to the dryer receptical

Now hook the dam wires (both ends) where their supposed to be, and pronto!!!!! its fixed !! Now, just how hard was that ???[emoticon]

And the OP would do what with that fourth pin on his 50 amp receptacle? Skip the ground? Skip the neutral? Toss a coin? [emoticon]

Install a 3 pin 30 amp outlet and use a 30 amp to 50 amp dogbone adapter.

Then I guess he meant to say that the other end of the line should be rewired to a 120v/30a single breaker instead of the existing 220v/30a double breaker. That would work...

Dutch

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 08/18/09 06:41pm

javaseuf wrote:

Gale Hawkins wrote:

Guys you are not reading my post before you reply. [emoticon]

I get it now. Plural "sources". Hee Hee!!!

This helps me understand household wiring to know there is no 240 volt source coming in from the power company so any 240v in my house is created from the two incoming 120v sources.

Now when I lived in Spain we had two meters outside because we had 110v system and 220 system and both were two wire systems. That meant two sets of wiring in the house. The smoke got let out of a LOT of stuff by the Yankees. [emoticon]

We also had to use step down transfers on anything with a 60 Hz motors so we were feeding them like 95-100 volts the best I remember.

Posted By: fueling around on 08/18/09 06:49pm

Gale Hawkins wrote:

Broccoli1 wrote:

Gale Hawkins wrote:

javaseuf wrote:

Gale Hawkins wrote:

Remember in the US our homes are only fed by 120 volt power sources.

[emoticon]

Mine has 200-amp, 220 volt, single phase power comming in.

Then you may be the only exception in the USA. [emoticon]

Strange- I have the same 240v Single phase feeding my house too.

Guys you are not reading my post before you reply. [emoticon]
Someone was paying attention during electrical distribution class. I knew what you you saying all along and Broccoli1's illustration confirmed the statement.

Now, tell everyone your hidden message as why North America uses this distribution method.

John
1997 Dodge 2500 CTD
1989 Cascade 8½ Self-contained Truck Camper
?? Eureka Timberline 4 tent

Posted By: Wingman02 on 08/18/09 06:52pm

To the OP, you have been given some good information, some filler and by-product and then you have been told what to do by some that should have never touched the keyboard.

What you want to accomplish is not complicated. Decide what you want your RV to do when it is plugged in at your house. Then check to see what size and color wires you have between your existing dryer outlet and panel box. I am assuming you want to get out of this as cheap as possible but still be code compliant. Let us know your decision and wire information!

2006 Newmar Ventana 3613
2009 Taurus Toad
Wells Cargo motorcycle hauler
(2) GL1800 Goldwings
(2) Liquid Logic Kayaks
(1) Yamaha Rhino

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 08/18/09 07:08pm

fueling around wrote:

Someone was paying attention during electrical distribution class. I knew what you you saying all along and Broccoli1's illustration confirmed the statement.

Now, tell everyone your hidden message as why North America uses this distribution method.

John I did not have any hidden message in my posts. As noted above the fact we do not have 240 volts coming into our house helps with my wiring work. Now having an RV does make my brain stress more because my 30 connection sure looks like a 240 outlet. [emoticon]

If I did know why North American grid system is different then Europe (Spain at least) I guess I have been put to sleep one time too many. [emoticon]

A guess would be to cut cost?

Posted By: lagreca on 08/18/09 07:22pm

Tonight I was able to take a few measurements and pictures. Here are the results:

[image]

Here are my voltage measurements across the various connectors (The numbers writeen on the right are transcribed from the front of the current NEMA 10-30R electrical receptacle):

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

It appears that I do have 4 wires in the cable: Black, White, Red, and a thin copper wire that runs up and out of the box, then terminates on the side of the box.

It would seem that I can cap the Red, and use the Black, White, and Copper wire with a NEMA TT–30 outlet.

Just like this:

[image]

What do you all think? Simple enough?

* This post was edited 08/18/09 09:34pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: flstskeith on 08/18/09 07:35pm

RJsfishin wrote:

This is a very easy thing to do. An RV receptical needs 3 wires. A dryer outlet has at least 3 wires. What job could be easier for anyone that knows anything about electricity ? [emoticon] Why do elect techs (if they really are) have to make everything so difficult ?!

I often thought the same thing, but my neighbor is an electrical engineer and he explained it once in laymans terms as to what happens when not done right and i understood it that one time. It does get ugly and expensive if done incorrectly. (or deadly) take your pick. (Just saying)

Posted By: Brandon_K on 08/18/09 08:00pm

lagreca, do me a favor and measure the voltage from either of the hot legs to the outlet box and tell me what you get.

2 other questions, the bare copper at the top of the box, does that come out of the cable that feeds that outlet, or is it external? And where does the bare copper that is ground clipped to the box actually go to?

Print  |  Close
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next