|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Roadmaster Update

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/09 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well it all started with a trip to the good folks at Torklift…they couldn’t figure what they needed to make a Roadmaster anti-sway bar fit my 2004 Dodge 3500 2WD. A few phone calls bt Tony at TL and I had an appointment with Roadmaster for the Tuesday. So I made a long weekend out of it and went fishing at buoy 10 on the Columbia out of Ilwaco. Don’t ASK!!!

Roadmaster is in their new place in Vancouver WA across from PDX. Nice big clean and well thought out for production and customer service.

Chad, Plant Manager, met me outside and since he has a Lance and a boat we had to talk about our rigs and he wants to switch to an aluminum boat so he asked all the question he could before we needed to get to work on the truck.

In we went and up on the big hoist. They brought out a couple of bars and found the one to fit the Dodge and brackets over the frame and big herky busing carriers were the way to go. Everything is bolt on except for two 3/8ths holes that need to be drilled in the shock bracket. Easy to do and no access issues.

Up she goes!
[image]

Bar hanging in bushings.
[image]

Over the frame bolt on support brackets for the rod ends
[image]

The rods needed to be machined as the long ones and short ones didn't do the job. The long ones were cut nd theaded to hold the good silicon bushings.
[image]

Installing the LOGO
[image]

Chad, Plant Manager and Chief R and D guy.
[image]

After the install was all tight, the tech writer came over and took piscs and made out a new list of parts needed and any special instructions for insatll.

The test drive was awesome. The rock and roll is gone and the corners are great...she is no Porsche but more like a fine touring car...what a pleasure to drive. Even with the boat in behind the control is SOOOO much better. The effort to get this unit was rewarded with a good outcome.

Contact Becky at Roadmaster for info on the kit in about 30 days.

Another note i have the torklift Stabiloads and they are working all the time. Pics of SL and the axel bump stop bushing shows very little contact.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

The whole set without airbags is really good and drives better! I don't think I'll ever need airbags as she sits level and with a boat behind too. Capt PJ

* This post was last edited 08/19/09 03:28pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

Tizi

Normandy Park, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/09 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, huge difference in handling. That Roadmaster is a nice addition and well made. Best upgrade to my truck to date.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

B-n-B

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice write up and that should help others later. I really like the difference my Roadmaster made in handling, really with or without the TC.

2020 Lance 650
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Big Horn SRW 4x4
5.9L Cummins

bedrocker

lompoc ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/09 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My ? is why doesn't Chevy & dodge
come with front & rear sway bars
like the Fords do

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bedrocker wrote:

My ? is why doesn't Chevy & dodge
come with front & rear sway bars
like the Fords do

With respect to the 3G Dodge trucks... the new hydro formed frame is set wider than previous. Supposedly, (according to DC) this wider stance eliminates the need for a sway bar.

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

TC-less, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups and 2 Northstar Arrows.

Fishnmagician

MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedrocker, My GMC came with a front sway bar, and most ford owners replace that flimsy little thing Ford calls a rear sway bar anyway.

05 GMC 2500HD C/C S/B DA 4X4 Ride Rites, Hellwig Sway Bar, Tow Beast
02 Lance 821

Jumbo Jet

Ozark Mountains, Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/09 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The test drive was awesome. The rock and roll is gone and the corners are great...she is no Porsche but more like a fine touring car...what a pleasure to drive. Even with the boat in behind the control is SOOOO much better. The effort to get this unit was rewarded with a good outcome.

I have a 3500 SRW with the Hellwig sway bar and Torklift Stable Loads. No need for airbags for me either and my results are the same as yours. A much better feel driving the roads.

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD 4x4 SRW - 2007 Lance 1055 - Torklift Tiedowns, Stableloads, Derringers, Pigtail - Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar - Rickson 19.5" wheels - Michelin XRV tires - Lance Cabover shocks, 2003 Keystone Laredo 29BH

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very interesting pictures, thanks .

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

jwolff

Richland, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 12:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my stock F350 dually rear sway bar with a Roadmaster and it made a HUGE difference. I went with Roadmaster over Helwig because RM was 1 1/2 inches and Helwig was 1 1/8 inches for my truck. Worth every penny and I would do it again in a second.

Install was a little bit of a pain but was able to do it with the truck sitting on the ground and just me doing the work.

John

John
2001 Ford F350 dually, crew, 4x4, 7.3
2007 Arctic Fox 990
1995 Champion Bass Boat

Bear461

Winter Haven, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/09 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great looking install. Adding the Helwig bar, Stabil-loads and air bags definitely made my 05 3500 Dodge a better handling machine. The difference was like night and day. There was no need for any of these items when just towing the fifth wheel. But, when we got the TC handling suffered. The dealer said no one needs anything more than air bags -HA! All they really did was level the load - it still rocked and rolled like crazy until the other installs.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Roadmaster Update
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS