RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: campsites in new mexico

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> campsites in new mexico

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
maplemom

new york

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/09 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think we have narrowed it down to staying near Angel Fire....since we haul our motorcycle it looks like nice riding around that area....any suggestions as to state campsites with electric in that area? I did find some, but would like some feedback as to how nice they are if anyone has stayed in that area..thanks
private ones are an option; most important to us are sites not all crowded together and not in the "wide open spaces"; we love the seclusion of trees!

eubank

bosque farms, nm

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/09 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The closest public campgrounds close to Angel Fire with more than undeveloped sites are the state parks at Cimarron Canyon (about 15 mi. from AF), Eagle Nest Lake (about eight mi. from AF), and Coyote Creek (about 15 mi. from AF). The new campground at Eagle Nest Lake has no hookups and is presumably more for smaller rigs and tents. (I haven't been over there to look at it yet.) Angel Fire has only one private campground, and while it has some trees, it's located more out in the meadow.

A critical question is when you intend to come up here! The weather turns more or less into winter-permanent snow as of late November / early December in Angel Fire. While some places remain open through ski season, others close their doors for the winter.

[emoticon]
Lynn

Pics and stuff at my Flickr pages

eubank

bosque farms, nm

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/09 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DesertHawk wrote:

Lynn, does Eagle Nest Lake State Park have camping? It didn't last time we were there, but it has been many years since we were up there. We stayed at Cimarron Canyon, but did canoe at Eagle Nest Lake.
I see it does on their SITE, but they seem not to have electric. Which would not brother me. But not what she seems to want. RE: "A new campground offers 19 dry sites with a vault toilet and community water available."
Good news for me, I would like to see that area again. So many places to see and so little time. [emoticon]

Yes, the campground at EN Lake has been open for several weeks now, but I haven't been down to see it. The little report I read also indicated that they have no hookups.

[emoticon]
Lynn

maplemom

new york

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/09 04:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks Lynn and DesertHawk....still can't open sites with emnrd and referring to NM...we will be there around 9/6 to 10/6 or 10/7.....intent is to do the scenic rides on the motorcycle..takes awhile to get there from here (Adirondack MTS) and the NE corner looks like where the mountains are located..need electricity; generator not adequate for us..we live in the mountains and do like tree shaded areas...we found wonderful state parks in the mountains of alabama and tennessee...hoped to find similar in NM....if need be, we will stay in a private site, but (1) would prefer to support the state we are in and (2)for the most part, we have found that some private sites are pricey for what they offer. have you been to cayote state park? IF you were to recommend a private one in that area, which would YOU choose? thanks again

2blackdogs

Anywhere we stop but home is New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/09 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maplemom,
You mentioned the Corp of Eng park near Santa Fe. This would be central located for the entire state. The COE park is Cochiti Lake and fact is we are headed there today.
There are two campgrounds, one on each side of lake. It's a no wake lake so no waterskiers. Sail boats and fishing type people.
There are no tall trees at this elevation but the sites are spacious and have water and electric and dump station. The higher in elevation the taller the trees and the colder it gets.
Northern NM is also nice but will be getting cold there soon.
Bob

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/09 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynn, does Eagle Nest Lake State Park have camping? It didn't last time we were there, but it has been many years since we were up there. We stayed at Cimarron Canyon, but did canoe at Eagle Nest Lake.
I see it does on their SITE, but they seem not to have electric. Which would not brother me. But not what she seems to want. RE: "A new campground offers 19 dry sites with a vault toilet and community water available."
Good news for me, I would like to see that area again. So many places to see and so little time. [emoticon]

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/09 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Needing Electric & State Park in Mts? Sugarite Canyon by Raton is but not heavily tembered, limited Mt roads to ride.
Manzano Mountains very nice camping, higher country, trees but remote and not a lot of Mt roads to ride. Less north as well.
Hyde Memorial near Santa Fe, nice place in Mts. with some electric, we have stayed there. Electric sites may not be under trees however & water maybe an issue as well. But is near by.
Cimarron Canyon very nice camping area, high country, Mt stream, trees, Angel Fire & Eagle Nest & Red River, Taos not far. See some of the By Ways list below.
Our Western Mts are a little different than the ones back east, more rugged, steep, unforgiving and much higher in elevations. The elevations of your mountains are our flat lands. More elevation the cooler it is as well as how far north it is.

Not all of the Mts are in the Northern part of the state. We have some good ones for motorcylce riding down in the south as well.
Lincoln National Forest - from personal experience the camping around Cloudcroft is very good. We have mainly used the campgrounds or dispersed camping area by the Silver, Apache & Saddle Campgrounds on the Hwy going to Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation on NM 244. Sacramento Ranger District.
Camping
If you mean to ride OFF Road But re-reading your post you are in for touring.
There are several looping hwys all around in the forested area. By Way Map
vistas
Area

By Cloudcroft

Also the Gila Nat'l Forest is neat for biking. Gila

But up in the area you are talking about Eagle's Nest

Pick your own By Way

See if you can find any thing at this web site, maybe you can open it.
NM Camping Perhaps you can follow other links from it. Not sure why the emnrd sites have will not open for you. Maybe your Adirondac Server does not want to go to a foreign country [emoticon]. I always add USA to NM on addresses if going out of state. Ha!

Coyote Creek State Park is nestled in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains along a meandering stream. Enclosed by a forest of spruce and pine, the small valley displays abundant wildflowers and beautiful fall foliage. The park is ideal for fishing, family camping and leisurely nature walks. Private campsites are scattered along the creek, which is sheltered by cottonwood trees and willow plants. The park's refreshing temperature offer relief during the height of New Mexico's summers. Coyote Creek has the most densely stocked waters in New Mexico. Trout are abundant and provide excellent fishing for children of all ages. In addition, the park offers 1.5 miles of hiking trails through a forest of ponderosa pines. Coyote Creek State Park is 17 miles north of Mora via NM 434. Coyote Creek is on our to do list, but have not been there. Mora are is neat, but again it is a remote spot. Drove by there in the '70s. Lot of neat rides, I would think. Campsite are not deeply wooded it seems from the photos.

Storrie Lake State Park is nice place very near Las Vegas, NM (which means "meadows" in Spanish) & is not up in the Mts but at the foot of some very neat ones, not far from Mora. It could serve as a base camp to explore the Sangre de Cristo Mountains all the way to Taos, then to Eagle Nest, Red River,& even on to Santa Fe via the route by Mora. One could make a long loop from Las Vegas to Mora to Taos to Red River to Eagle Nest/Angel Fire then to Raton then back to Las Vegas via I-25. Photos
And it is near many of the Byways, not just these. ByWay --- Taos
If not wanting to use the interstate, I believe there is a frontage road along it all the way. If you like history visit Ft. Union which is along the way from Raton. To cut off some miles go to Cimarron then turn away from Raton & go to Springer then down to Las Vegas.

As Lynn pointed out New Mexico covers a lot of ground: New York covers 54,556 square miles, New Mexico 121,593 sq mi. Major mountain ranges include the Southern Rockies, the Chuska Mountains in the northwest, and the Caballo, San Andres, San Mateo, Sacramento, and Guadalupe ranges in the south and southwest. The highest point in the state is Wheeler Peak, at 13,161 ft (4,014 m); the lowest point, 2,842 ft (867 m), is at Red Bluff Reservoir. New York's highest peaks are found in the Adirondacks: Mt. March, 5,344 feet (1,629 meters), and Algonquin Peak, 5,114 feet (1,559 meters. Las Vegas, NM is at Elevation: 6,424 FT (1,958 M)& Storrie Lake State Park is at 6,600 feet.

But...at 8,000 feet, Cimarron Canyon State Park is "Set in New Mexico's high country, where spectacular palisade cliffs and clear running waters dominate the landscape, Cimarron Canyon State Park is part of the 33,116-acre Colin Neblett Wildlife Area -- the largest wildlife area in the state. Elk, deer, bear, turkey and grouse attract hunters in the fall and winter. Wildlife viewing is plentiful as songbirds, elk, deer, bear, turkey and grouse call the park home."

Not sure of the temps there when you plan on going, but Cimarron Canyon is a neat place and would be ideal IMHO for bike touring much of the high country of NM.

New Mexico State Parks are a bargan for camping with electric and they tend to be in neat areas.

Overnight Camping (per vehicle, per night)

Primitive site
$8
Notes: Primitive campsites offer no special facilities except a cleared area for camping. Sites may include trash cans, chemical toilets or parking. Developed sites offer additional facilities such as electric and sewage hookups.
Developed site
$10
Developed site with electric hookup
$14
Developed site with sewage hookup
$14
Developed site with electric and sewage hookups
$18
Electric hookup with annual camping permit
$4
Sewage hookup with annual camping permit
$4
Electric and sewage hookup with annual
camping permit
$8
Water hookup (where available)
No charge

Permit transferable to family vehicles

[emoticon]Depending on how long you are planning your stay in NM, it might be good to do an Annual Permit. You would have to do the math to see if it would help.

Camping Annual Permit (valid 12 months from month of purchase)
New Mexico resident $180
Notes: Annual camping permits may be purchased at any state park or at the division's Santa Fe office.

Out-of-state resident $225

If into Reservations (I am not): Reservations by contacting the call center at 1-877-664-7787.

If you can not get the Byways sites to open give them a call at 505.827.7400
See if they can mail you a NM map, it has the byways on back of it.
Or better still: Please note if for any reason you are experiencing difficulty using this form; Please email your request directly to guide@newmexico.org . You can also call our toll free number at 1-800-733-6396. Thank you for visiting the New Mexico Tourism website guide.

As for another COE campground (but not in Mts)Abiquiu Lake -US Army Corps of Engineers campground, we have driven by but not stopped, they say it has excellent facilities surrounded by red sandstone cliffs and mesas in "O┬┤Keefe Country." Site
Abiqui On the way from the Santa Fe area to Chama area.

Also a neat State Park (near but not in Mts): Heron Lake State Park near Chima. Heron

More info on Heron & other places Camping in NM
RV Reviews by Tierra Amarilla

After looking closer at the web site for Cimarron Canyon State Park, it seems not to have electric at all. This is the Head Ranger at the Park's email address if you need it:
daniel.gurule@state.nm.us

Good Luck, Hope you can make it down our way. State Parks may not be in the cards for you in NM. As for "most important to us are sites not all crowded together and not in the 'wide open spaces'; we love the seclusion of trees!" We have a lot of open space in NM, it might be a little hard to find seclusion of trees, but one can find seclusion. Sometimes it might be with bolders or willow bushes or trees at time or just space. But you will more than likely not find it the same as the Adirondacs or any of the Southeastern Mts. It's a whole new world here. I believe you could find some seclused spots at Heron Lake, & more than likely at others. But I can not name a site which would fill the bill. Coyote Creek may have them as well with willow trees. Not sure about Storrie Lake. Some are not crowded, some will be. Often the electric sites are more crowded, but not a given rule.

New Mexico may just be out of your comfort range, but New York & back east is out of mine as well, e.g. not enough open space. [emoticon]

DesertHawk

* This post was last edited 09/02/09 06:35pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

eubank

bosque farms, nm

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/09 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maplemom wrote:

thanks Lynn and DesertHawk....still can't open sites with emnrd and referring to NM...we will be there around 9/6 to 10/6 or 10/7.....intent is to do the scenic rides on the motorcycle..takes awhile to get there from here (Adirondack MTS) and the NE corner looks like where the mountains are located..need electricity; generator not adequate for us..we live in the mountains and do like tree shaded areas...we found wonderful state parks in the mountains of alabama and tennessee...hoped to find similar in NM....if need be, we will stay in a private site, but (1) would prefer to support the state we are in and (2)for the most part, we have found that some private sites are pricey for what they offer. have you been to cayote state park? IF you were to recommend a private one in that area, which would YOU choose? thanks again

There are a LOT of areas with mountains in New Mexico; the area around here is one of them. It's also fairly popular with folks on motorcycles.

Coyote Creek SP is fairly nice, albeit somewhat small. It's a wooded area with a creek.

There are lots of private campgrounds in Eagle Nest and Red River; there's one is Angel Fire. You can locate them all at the following URL:

http://www.NewMexicoRVParksAndCampgrounds.org

Ah, and I think you need to get your computer looked at! I just tested the NM tourism and state parks sites, and they're working just fine. Something is blocking your access.

[emoticon]
Lynn

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> campsites in new mexico
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.