RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Planning a trip for next summer 2010!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Planning a trip for next summer 2010!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Ryanjb01

Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/09 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

I am planning a trip out west leaving home in Central NY(Syracuse) and plan to make the journey to the west Coast. My initial plan is to visit each state over 2, 3-4 week long trips. One during the summer of 2010 and the second during the summer of 2011.

I plan to leave home and tour the northern most states to reach the West Coast. Travel about 1/2 the way down the west coast, say maybe northern CA and then start heading home across the middle states.

Part two the following summer will take me down the through PA, MD, VA, WV, and into Tenn and south staying just West of Florida. I am looking to stay away from the east coast as much as possible to cover new ground. I have made the trip to Fl countless numbers of times since the mid-eighties with family growing up. I want to see the rest of the states. Once I hit the Gulf states, I will turn West and go to the coast again and make the trip north through CA. On the way home I will travel east staying south of my previous trip and seeing the rest of all the states. This should allow me to see all of the lower 48 states. The N. East states we travel to frequently and have been there/done that. I have also been to Hawaii so that should leave Alaska as the final chapter. That will be done via a criuse/train trip. This is my plan. I also have a brother in Columbia, SC that will be a stop along the way.

I'm looking to start a trip plan to be used as a guide. Things to see and do along the way and the best routes to take. I do not care about saving time unless we are in the middle of corn/wheat fields or desert.

My wife and I both teach in public schools in CNY. I am figuring about 3 weeks per trip but could lengthened if needed.

I am looking for your input. I have two daughters ages 4 and 2. We like theme/amusement parks and nature. Interesting stuff that we may never get to see again. I think my daughters will be old enough to remember these trips when they are older. I believe it will be easier to do at this age, before "life" gets too busy to be away from home that long.

I appreciate your help and advise. This site is a wealth of information.

Take care,

Ryan

2018 GMC 3500 Denali Crew Cab Dually Duramax/Allison ">
2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
Ryan, Marsha, Alyssa and Emily

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" ~ Thomas Edison

kknowlton

southeast Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/09 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd give each trip at least 4 weeks, and 5 would be better. Otherwise you'll be spending most of your time driving. Your girls are (IMO) a bit young to remember much of the trips, but if you allow enough time for a few stops that are fun for them at their ages, they may remember more of it, and you'll all enjoy the pace better.

TimfmCT

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/09 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ryan,
My wife and I are retired school teachers. Years ago, we did a cross country trip with our two kids. They were 16 and 14 yars old.
We did 10,250 miles in 37 days. Ct to west coast and back. We did not hit the southern states at all.
Our goal was to hit the "biggies". IE: national parks not even trying to hit all the states. 37 days was not enough to even do what we did. We had to skip a few " biggies".
About your plan: with all due respect, and my opinion, Your girls are too young for a trip like that. So much of traveling across this country, is meeting and experiencing the different people, and the local flair. Two and four year olds will miss all of that. It's not a matter of remembering. It just won't "compute". Not to mention hitting all the states.
We worried that our kids would not want to be away from their friends. Yup, 37 days was a bit much. Our son (16) spent his money on a calling card so he could talk to his "girl friend". Our daughter (14) did get a bit "bored" with some of the natural wonders of our country. BUT, after a few years, and even now, talks about the trip and experience and still thanks us.
Tim fm Ct

Ryanjb01 wrote:

Hello,

I am planning a trip out west leaving home in Central NY(Syracuse) and plan to make the journey to the west Coast. My initial plan is to visit each state over 2, 3-4 week long trips. One during the summer of 2010 and the second during the summer of 2011.

I plan to leave home and tour the northern most states to reach the West Coast. Travel about 1/2 the way down the west coast, say maybe northern CA and then start heading home across the middle states.

Part two the following summer will take me down the through PA, MD, VA, WV, and into Tenn and south staying just West of Florida. I am looking to stay away from the east coast as much as possible to cover new ground. I have made the trip to Fl countless numbers of times since the mid-eighties with family growing up. I want to see the rest of the states. Once I hit the Gulf states, I will turn West and go to the coast again and make the trip north through CA. On the way home I will travel east staying south of my previous trip and seeing the rest of all the states. This should allow me to see all of the lower 48 states. The N. East states we travel to frequently and have been there/done that. I have also been to Hawaii so that should leave Alaska as the final chapter. That will be done via a criuse/train trip. This is my plan. I also have a brother in Columbia, SC that will be a stop along the way.

I'm looking to start a trip plan to be used as a guide. Things to see and do along the way and the best routes to take. I do not care about saving time unless we are in the middle of corn/wheat fields or desert.

My wife and I both teach in public schools in CNY. I am figuring about 3 weeks per trip but could lengthened if needed.

I am looking for your input. I have two daughters ages 4 and 2. We like theme/amusement parks and nature. Interesting stuff that we may never get to see again. I think my daughters will be old enough to remember these trips when they are older. I believe it will be easier to do at this age, before "life" gets too busy to be away from home that long.

I appreciate your help and advise. This site is a wealth of information.

Take care,

Ryan

Tim fm CT in our home sweet dome
2005 Tiffin 32BA workhorse GM 8.1
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
2005 HD Superglide

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/09 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife & I are retired teachers. We travelled extensively with our two boys most summers. At the ages of your children they'll get nothing out of the trip nor will they remember it. Doesn't mean you shouldn't take them. Just means that you're doing it for yourselves, not for them. In the early years we took the trips for ourselves, not for kids who were esentially babies. Our boys don't remember anything of our trips until when they were maybe 5-6 years old and, even then, they don't remember too much of anything until times when they were older. Now, in their 40s, they remember back to around ages 8 or so. Go, have fun, take toys, snacks, books to read to them, stop often so they can get out and run around some, and expect that 3-4 weeks won't be enough time to cover an extremely large area. My wife & I have been travelling for over 45 years, most often to the west, and there are still so many places we have not seen. Anyway, enjoy our great west.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

johnrbd

San Joaquin Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/09 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have basically 5 interstates (10/40/70/80/90-94) east-west. If you do two trips, you going to miss one of them and whatever sites/states therein.

I think you need to make three trips to cover all the states and major attractions. Most of the western states are as wide or more than NY, esp TX and CA is 800 north to south.

Are you planning on interstates or US highways?

Tankcar

Santee, California USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/09 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi.

I have made 2 cross county trip in the pass. One 1998 the other in 2005.
Both were 6 weeks. I figured a week out and a week back. Travling 350 to 450 per day. The trip turn out to be an 8hr. day from start to finish. Not including any down time for equipment failure. There was some!

One week for the reason for the trip in the first place.

The 3 remaining weeks were for what we wanted to see or do with in the trip window.

Traveling off the interstates can become somewhat of challenge and avoiding the toll road can be to.

The first trip was much easer to avoid the toll roads. They were still building the interstate. Second was much more of a problem.

What time of the year do you want to start?

jambo101

Montreal (Lasalle)

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/09 02:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its been my experience that kids couldnt care less about scenery,a few theme parks might get their attention or if a little older some huge malls might light em up,at ages 3-4 i doubt they'll remember anything,i sure dont remember much from when i was that age..Going to the west coast is a very exiting trip once you get there but that week and a half of nothing in between is a tough drive,dont forget the Dramamine.

"Second star to the right, and straight on till morning."

milo

4 Corners

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/09 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ryan...My wife and I also being retired teachers take 5 weeks just to go from our home in the 4 corners up to Washington state & back (different routes the last 5 summers & little under 4000 miles)... Any trip worth taking is worth spending the time to enjoy it. Enjoy it & see what there is to offer, not just driving by it.

Janet & Milo ...44 fantastic yrs 2gether ">
Mona Mo 12 yr old F Yorkie & (in spirit) Buddy our beloved Beagle
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ">

tonyandkaren

pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/09 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took an entire year off of work to travel when our daughter was between three and four years old. We all had a great time but she remembers little of it and then she's not sure if she's really remembering it or just remembering from the pictures that we took!
I would advise you to take as much time as possible and maybe plan on doing some of it in the following years. They'll still be young enough that they won't be missing organized activities or their friends a lot.

This is a great website that should help with planning -
http://www.cross-country-trips.com/

Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

Ryanjb01

Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/09 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

johnrbd wrote:

You have basically 5 interstates (10/40/70/80/90-94) east-west. If you do two trips, you going to miss one of them and whatever sites/states therein.

I think you need to make three trips to cover all the states and major attractions. Most of the western states are as wide or more than NY, esp TX and CA is 800 north to south.

Are you planning on interstates or US highways?

I would like to stay off the Interstates as much as possible. Except where we are driving for hours with the landscape is not changing. We made a trip out to Colorado several years back and I remember looking out at the horizon and thinking "it looks like a big storm front coming at us". The "storm clouds" kept getting bigger and bigger until we realized that it was not a storm system, it was the Rockies. Yikes!! But before that it seemed as if we were driving for hours in circles. Going 70mph but not getting anywhere.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Planning a trip for next summer 2010!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.