|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Super Track Wheel Spacers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jjson775

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/09 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have bought a pair of Super Track spacers to install on my 2005 Pleasure Way Excel. I will install them myself, taking care to follow the instructions on proper torquing of the nuts. I also plan to replace the original Hankook tires with Michelin XPS Rib tires which are highly recommended.

I called Discount Tire and they tell me that it is their company policy not to mount a tire on a wheel spacer because they have experienced problems in the past.

Has anyone on this forum had problems with wheel spacers or had trouble getting Discount Tire to mount new tires on them or rotate their existing tires? I will appreciate any feedback.

Jim

wsfurrie

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/09 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard of tire companies not wanting to mount them, but never a problem with them. PleasureWay is now mounting them at the factory. I think the reason the tire people don't want to do it is they don't want the liability if anything goes wrong. My local mechanic changed my oil, rotated the tires and mounted spacers for $45.00 4 years ago. I have heard people say that it could cause bearing problems, but in my opinion that is false also, people mount duals on the same axle with no problems. Just my opinion.
Wayne

Wayne

Coalminer UG

Nakusp BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/09 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my PW 2009 Excel TS, according to what I have seen it comes with rear wheel spacers. The ones you bought, are they bigger or does your unit not have rear wheel spacers.

Ches

Served In Canadian Army 1PPCLI

Retired Underground Coal Miner (Gen Foreman)

jjson775

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/09 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did anybody notice any improvement in handling when there are grooves on the road?

wsfurrie

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/09 06:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, there is not the tendency for the front and rear wheels to fight each other for the groove. The wandering goes away. My 05 did not have spacers, the new ones do. Apparently PW finally got tired of the complaining.
Wayne

Jamesq

Alton Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/09 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran wheel spacers on my 1995 dodge roadtrek for over 100000 miles. was much inprovement over factory. dodge rear were four in narrower then the front wheels after putting them on it took all the road walk out from high crounds in the road. they are well worth the money.no problen with the rean end. hope it helps. James

charles

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/09 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim,

I put the spacers on my 2001 Lexor, and yes they made a big difference. I ordered the spacers as an option on my 04 Excel, and they came standard on my 07 Excel. I have had absolutely no problem with them and can't think of any reason why a tire company would not sell you tires if you have wheel spacers. I could see why they wouldn't install the spacers but I question why they would not mount new tires on your factory rims, or rotate the tires for you. Maybe you should just go somewhere else and don't even mention the fact that you have spacers on the rear. I've had a dozen different places rotate the tires on my Pleasure-ways and have never been questioned.

Nick
07 XLTS

2019 Thor Chateau 22B

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/09 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just be sure to follow the directions (if any come with them) and remove the wheels and re-torque the spacers after the first.... mumble-mumble.... miles. I think it was 100 or 200 on mine on the Dodge RT. I think this a very necessary step, in case any of the lug studs 'finish' seating after the initial torquing.

Jim, "Some days you're the village. Some days, you're the idiot."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Mtn Hiker

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/09 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had spacers mounted on my 2004 Excel by a local tire dealer, and have had no problems with them. I did have them re-torqued with the first tire rotation after that installation.
Sorry to say they did not help the handling much. what really did help handling is your second idea, the Michelin XPS RiBS! you are going to love those!
And BTW, you do not need extra pressure in the front tires with these, as is often recommended on this forum to improve Excel handling. go by the manufactures door sticker pressure.
One other thing that has helped me a great deal, is the Roadmaster Active Suspension. with the XPS tires and the Roadmaster, now even my DW is willing to help with the driving. just finished a 6,700 mile trip out west and the van really drove well.
good luck.

qjane

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/09 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

charles wrote:

Jim,

I put the spacers on my 2001 Lexor, and yes they made a big difference. I ordered the spacers as an option on my 04 Excel, and they came standard on my 07 Excel. I have had absolutely no problem with them and can't think of any reason why a tire company would not sell you tires if you have wheel spacers. I could see why they wouldn't install the spacers but I question why they would not mount new tires on your factory rims, or rotate the tires for you. Maybe you should just go somewhere else and don't even mention the fact that you have spacers on the rear. I've had a dozen different places rotate the tires on my Pleasure-ways and have never been questioned.

Our shop turns away work on wheels with spacers, and funny thing is, I have no idea why. It's just one of those old as the hills, nebulous rules we follow.

QJane
2002 Sportsmobile RB30
inside a Ford E350 2WD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Super Track Wheel Spacers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.