|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camping with 287 brothers and sisters

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
SheepCamp

SW Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/09 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few weeks back the DW and I had plans for a weekend camping trip. At 2:30 on Fri afternoon, my cell phone rings and quickly all is lost. A wildfire has broken out 30 miles north of Cortez Colorado, 60 miles from home. Called my DW with, “Sorry, I’ll see you in a few days”, (not first time). Grab my gear and head to the rendezvous with the Durango Zone Interagency Incident Management Team. As Logistics Chief, it is my job to find a site for the camp and get thing set up for the incoming engines and crews. I find a willing landowner and begin to setup an Incident Command Post (ICP) and camp. First night we had about 40 firefighters in camp,
I know there are a lot of firefighters on this site, so they will understand the post title. For the rest, I will try and give you a view of the brotherhood and sisterhood of the wildland fire camp that does not make the ten o’clock news.

The Narraguinnep Fire was 208 acres by the first evening
[image]

The ICP Trailer (Lucy) and a very nice Alaskan Camper, custom utility box and paint job of the Ops Chief. Tent city is starting in background.
[image]

Saturday was hot and windy, 30mph+; caused the fire to blow up about noon and went from 200 to 4000acres+ by evening
[image]

Firefighters can run on limited food but a hot pot of coffee is my first job at 5:30 in the morning. 13 gallons of strong coffee will help get crews going. Hand brewed, boil the pot, take hot water out of the bottom and pour through grounds on top until it is strong enough or someone shoves you out of the way to get a cup. Camo 400 gallon “Water Buffalo” trailer in background for drinking and washing.
[image]

Breakfast in the smoke is served too 140 on Sunday morning. It was prepared by a local restaurant in Dolores 35 miles away and delivered about 6:30 AM
[image]

On Monday we served 200 breakfasts from the Cortez Denny’s restaurant (30 miles away). “Hello Denny’s, I would like to order some breakfasts to go! I need 200 Grand Slams to go and we will pick them up at 6:00am, HELLO, HELLO, IS ANYONE THERE????” They did a great job !! Along with other local restaurants that prepared our breakfasts, sack lunches and dinners for the 200 hungry firefighter that were in camp by Monday. It is amazing the support we get from the local communities when we set up a fire camp in their backyards.

Camp is growing into a small city. Everyone is set to live out of their “Red Bag” for 14 days, working 16 hours a day, eating what we can get delivered and sleeping on the smoothest spot they can find.
[image]

Coming Soon
Part 2: Things go BIG!

01 F350 CC SRW 7.3 Diesel
05 Lance 845
96 Jeep Cherokee, Beaches of Baja
79 Jeep CJ7, Moab Rocks

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/09 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wildland firefighters are a bunch of tough hombres fer sure.... Anyone who lives in the forested areas of the Mountain West owes these boys and girls a hearty thank you.

Thank You [emoticon]

P.S. This has been the driest summer on record for Northern Arizona, and I know Colorado hasn't had as much rain as we'd like - let's hope we get through the next few months without a REALLY big one.

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

CaptPicky

Olathe, Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/09 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My hats off to brother FF's. I've got it easy...my job is done in 2 hrs..I've either saved the house and overhaul and salvage are done...or all that's left is the basement but either way i'm done in 2 hours...You guys working for several weeks are crazy....I'm humbled by your dedication!!!!

Retired Firefighter, Inspector, Investigator
2006 Cedar Creek Silverback 5th wheel
2002 F-350 Crew Cab DRW 7.3 Powerstroke
3 kids
2 dogs
1 wife

John & Christine

Milford

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/09 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SheepCamp wrote:

Firefighters can run on limited food but a hot pot of coffee is my first job at 5:30 in the morning.
How true...

Thanks for posting this up. I am a city firefighter and must tell you those wildland fires scare the daylights outta me....I'll take a triple decker any day over those 40 mph wind fed fires!

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/09 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thought of fighting a fire that can blow up or turn on you is right up there with a grizzly encounter in my book. Hats off to them without a doubt. You too Doug, what a lot of hot, dry work when you could be camping.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/09 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a lifestyle few would ever get insight into. Kudos for posting.

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

alex k

jim thorpe pa

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/09 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be safe brother. Come home safe.
alex k , ff/emt

fuelhauler

Southern Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/09 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just drove through a contained wild fire on the North Umpqua river here in Oregon on Thursday comming home from a fishing trip. All I can say is that those young men & women who fight such a fire on such steep terrain are brave,tough souls that deserve a whole lot of gratitude.

2005 Dodge q/c 4x4 dually six speed pac brake
2014 Arctic Fox 990
2014 16' smokercraft

trapperdick

Bridgton,Me.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/09 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are the Man !! Thankyou....TD

OLDER AND BOLDER,,,,,N1ATF
Ford F-350 Dually Diesel, Lance 9SC, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 12 ft Hallmark trailer and Skeeter the camping beagle ">.........

LeavLance

Leavenworth, KS.

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/09 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the heroes.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 2005 Lance Lite 915

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camping with 287 brothers and sisters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.