RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Petrified Forest National Park

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Petrified Forest National Park

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Russ-WB3FQI

York Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/09 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have driven through twice. Both times with a 36' MH, once towing a 24 flat trailer with a truck on it. The second time towing a Van. Some thin roads, go slow and you'll be fine. We enter from the East end and travel through, then at the gift shop we turn right and head back to the Interstate to head West.

You will enjoy it.

Russ

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/09 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the great replies. Seems two recommendations for Homolovi Ruins now. According to our plans we may just have an extra day to do this too near Flagstaff. Thanks to the person who left the links for the two state parks. I will check them out now.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/09 11:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for Grand Canyon both sides are really nice, each have their own campgrounds which would be neat to stay in, but are often filled. My daughter & her husband stayed in a tent at the one in the South.

We have always stayed in campgrounds out of the park. We found the park on south side by Flagstaff is close enough to Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument with camping nearby where we have stayed to see the area. There is no camping in the monument.

However, Bonito Campground , operated by the US Forest Service, is located across from the visitor center at Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument which is on the loop road which goes by the Homolovi Ruins. Edit: No, make that Wupatki National Monument.[emoticon] This campground is generally open from late May through mid-October. There are no hook-ups. There are nice campgrounds on the north side at the park and if full in the Nat'l Forest just before getting into the park. We stayed outside the park when there in summer and park cg was full.
Sunset Crater *** Wupatki

[image]
Bonito Campground is a very clean campground, newly remodeled, flush toilets, but no dump, no filling RV water tanks. Neat area. Two Thumbs Up for it. Drive 12 miles northeast of Flagstaff on US 89. Turn east (right) on FR 545 and drive 2 miles to Bonito Campground. Paved roads, concrete walkways & slabs at each site for picnic tables, steel raised fire rings and steel covered grills. Friendly hosts and ranger programs as well. Sites are spaced out very well, none crowded together. Stayed there mid-June 2010.

[image]

By taking the Hwy by Sunset Crater to Wupatki, we then drove along the Grand Canyon entering via the east off US 89 also. We did the drive in one day trip. Looping down from the Main entrance back to Flag. There are several routes back to Flag as well, via the interstate or other more backcountry routes.

* This post was last edited 07/15/10 11:27am by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/09 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the great information. I'm a little confused - I thought Homolovi ruins was by Winslow and not near Flagstaff and Sunset Crater? Well, I'll have to look it up and print out all these great sites to take with us. We'll be taking the laptop but you never know where you'll have WIFI.

eubank

bosque farms, nm

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/09 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do go to Homolovi, please do not touch or remove any artifact, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem. It is illegal. This is a sacred place for the Hopi, and they still watch over the area.
[emoticon]
Lynn

Pics and stuff at my Flickr pages

Major Dad

San Antonio TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/09 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

Thank you for the great information. I'm a little confused - I thought Homolovi ruins was by Winslow and not near Flagstaff and Sunset Crater? Well, I'll have to look it up and print out all these great sites to take with us. We'll be taking the laptop but you never know where you'll have WIFI.

It is Wupatki National Monument that is outside Flagstaff, and is connected to the Sunset Crater National Monument.

2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

younchem

Lafayette, LA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/09 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4runnerguy wrote:

I know many here disagree, but IMHO, Petrified Forest is the most disappointing NP I've been to, and I'm a geologist! Unless your travels don't allow, have you considered staying at Bonito NF CG near Sunset Crater (north of Flagstaff) and touring Wupatki and/or Walnut Canyon NM's? Bonito CG is higher up and has more trees. But the ground is covered with black volcanic ash/sand. Really different and interesting. The trees around Petrified Forest NP are all rock!

What kind of geologist are you?

younchem

Lafayette, LA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/09 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that a point could be made that might help you appreciate Petrified Forest National Park. It would best be renamed Petrified Log-jam National Park because that's precisely whit it is. A modern anology would be Mt. St. Helens. When St. Helens errupted it blew over trees and filled lakes and clogged rivers. These downed trees were then covered by volcanic ash and mud--lots of mud. About 225 million years ago thats exactly what happened in the Petrified Forest area creating the world-class examples of petrified trees that you see there today. Of course lots of organisims were killed so it is an incredibly rich fossil locale.

If you have visited Mt. St. Helens or plan to, compare the two. Maybe look at photos of St. Helens area before you leave home.

The Chinle formation that contains the petrified logs is a very famous, widespread formation throughout the west and you will see it again in Colorado, Utah and New Mexico; one spot in Utah near Moab has vast areas of 225 my old crawfish burrows.

All is not what it seems and before you get to the park you will instantly drive over an unconformity and in a matter of a few feet 200 million years of geologic history is missing.

Not to rant on, but if you don't know these things then it might be a littless appealing to visit.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/09 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very interesting. Yes, we've been to Mt. St. Helens - that's a good analogy. Well, we will find it interesting. We found Hagerman Fossil Beds in Hagerman, Idaho interesting and sat through the film at the tiny visitor center. If you've been there you know what I'm talking about. To some, this area is nothing but to us we found it to be the opposite

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/09 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Major Dad wrote:

ReneeG wrote:

It is Wupatki National Monument that is outside Flagstaff, and is connected to the Sunset Crater National Monument.

Thanks for the clarification.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Petrified Forest National Park
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.