RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Petrified Forest National Park

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Petrified Forest National Park

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
texasrvr

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/09 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more thing... If you are 65+ buy a permanent park pass for $10 which is a lifetime pass to all US National Parks.. We purchased ours at Petrified Forest and have used it in many places for the past 3 years. That includes the Grand Canyon park....
MHO.. Petrified Forest is interesting but liked the Painted Desert better. We camped in Holbrook and used the toad for the trip. Did it in one day and stopped everywhere and took lots of pix. Did not rush as we have lot of time and no schedule...

Dolph

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/09 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a little prejudiced, having spent three months there as a Visitor Center host. Have a little problem understanding why a "geologist" missed so much< earthquake evidence at Blue Mesa, the "non-comformity where 5 million year old volcano flow sit directly on top of 225 million year old Chinle Formation, The presence of Betonite Clay and the effect the weather has on it, just to name a few. If you go, do not miss watching the movie at either end of the park before driving through. You can spend a couple of hours at the Painted Desert Inn. Ask to see the binder with the history of the Inn, fascinating. Before going I also recommend that you go online and read all you can about the park. Quite a few folks drive through with their RVs. Check at the Visitor Center and they will tell you which view sites are not suitable for going into with an RV. Some folks just roar right through, some take 6 to 8 hours. Have fun.

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/09 02:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG I was there this pass May and it is worth spending a day going through the park. I have many photos and videos posted at my Travelingman2 link. I would point out that you leave your trailer at the campground if you take in Blue Mesa for the loop road at the mesa does get a bit on the narrow side. Go through Holbook on the 180 for 20 miles to reach those campground. Spend 20 dollars at the store there and camping and free.
Campground
[image]
[image]
Video campground

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/09 05:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

texasrvr wrote:

One more thing... If you are 65+ buy a permanent park pass for $10 which is a lifetime pass to all US National Parks.. We purchased ours at Petrified Forest and have used it in many places for the past 3 years. That includes the Grand Canyon park....
MHO.. Petrified Forest is interesting but liked the Painted Desert better. We camped in Holbrook and used the toad for the trip. Did it in one day and stopped everywhere and took lots of pix. Did not rush as we have lot of time and no schedule...

Not 65 yet but do have a National Park Pass and donate frequently to save our National Parks.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/09 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dolph - getting excited now about seeing the park and will read up before we go. Thank you!

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/09 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravelingMan - Wonderul video! Thank you! I will look through the photos too. Definitely lots of room for any size RV there. I'm sure the weather will be good mid-September when we go - not hot. I've checked out the average temp that time of year and it'll be comfortable. Really looking forward to it with everyone's information here and your great photos and arial view. I will definitely show DH.

Dolph

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/09 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG, There is more to the park than petrified trees, fossils of dinosaurs, and buildings. The history is also fascinating. Read a little about the Harvey Girls, they had a presence there, look at the rooms the shared at the Painted Desert Inn. Interesting fact, The Park Chief Ranger's secretary is the daughter of one of the Harvey Girls that worked at the Inn. Read about the CCC Boy,s, then you can appreciate the work that they did at the park. Can be a great learning as well as a visual eexperience.

JANETRUPP

Bullhead City, AZ and on the road..

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/09 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We totally enjoyed our visit also, however we stayed in Holbrook at the OK RV Park. We sure like our full hook-ups and cable. But everyone has a preference. By the way, Interagency NP Pass for Seniors is $10.00 for life but you only have to be 62. We just got one going into the Badlands.

Loving our life. Life is too short to complain,go live it to the fullest
Coachmen Concord 2018 Class C with 2 slides
2012 Equinox tow

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/09 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dolph wrote:

I am a little prejudiced, having spent three months there as a Visitor Center host. Have a little problem understanding why a "geologist" missed so much< earthquake evidence at Blue Mesa, the "non-comformity where 5 million year old volcano flow sit directly on top of 225 million year old Chinle Formation, The presence of Betonite Clay and the effect the weather has on it, just to name a few.
I don't know where you got the idea I missed so much? All of the things you mention are not rare nor are the examples in the park that impressive. Yes, we got out and hiked, which is the only way to really see things anyway. IMHO, Petrified Forest should have been designated a National Mounument at best.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/09 09:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All this feedback has been great! I'll have to look up the Harvey Girls too.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Petrified Forest National Park
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.