RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Petrified Forest National Park

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Petrified Forest National Park

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/09 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Major Dad wrote:

ReneeG wrote:

Thank you for the great information. I'm a little confused - I thought Homolovi ruins was by Winslow and not near Flagstaff and Sunset Crater? Well, I'll have to look it up and print out all these great sites to take with us. We'll be taking the laptop but you never know where you'll have WIFI.

It is Wupatki National Monument that is outside Flagstaff, and is connected to the Sunset Crater National Monument.

Thanks, Major Dad! I was wanting to say Wupatki Nat'l Monument, but cut & pasted the wrong thing.

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/09 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whew . . . thank God . . . thought I was the one with the CRS syndrome.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

h2guy

Ain't seen a sign yet!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/09 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not being a wise acre but you do know that the area is a desert and not a forest?

I have run into folks who thought it was a standing forest of petrified trees.

Rick & Carolyn
01 Ford SC 4x4 DRW
01 CarriLite 5ver

frmAloha

Oregon (OR-y-gun)

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/09 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Re: Senior Pass for the national parks.
You qualify at age 62, not 65. Just bought mine this year. A real bargain at $10. for lifetime use.
Even though it used to be free, it's still a good deal. : )

Oregon Native
Retired w/
2000 31' SurfSide
Class A

younchem

Lafayette, LA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/09 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

...To some, this area is nothing but to us we found it to be the opposite

This is so true. What happens with people trying to watch wildlife in Yellowstone is a good example. Unless the thing to see is obvious then most people miss it or are uninterested. The most obvious thing is that people do not want to invest time. If you know anything about wildlife watching then you have to know that it takes time and patience.

For example, this summer we spent several days wildlife watching again in Hayden Valley and several days in Lamar valley. We sat up the scopes, cameras and chairs and waited and watched. Often we would spend all day at one spot. People (a hundred a day) would pull up and ask, "What do you see?" Translation: Do you see any bears? If what we were watching was on their "haven't seen that yet" list (a short list to begin with for most) they hop out of the car, look for a second then drive off. Forget about telling anyone about the birds; no one was interested in that.

Some people would walk up and you could see that they were willing to devote some time to it and you didn't mind helping them. Sometimes some people helped us. But it got so bad that we actually had to become a little rude to some because people kept pulling up and asking. I'm mostly speaking aout people who would ask but would not even get out of the car! Now I am sure that many of those same people thought that the area was a "nothing" as they drove off.

My point has always been to slow down on vacation and spend time to make a place "something" instead of putting too many places on your vacation list that turn out, in the end, to be "nothings".

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/09 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

younchem wrote:

4runnerguy wrote:

I know many here disagree, but IMHO, Petrified Forest is the most disappointing NP I've been to, and I'm a geologist! Unless your travels don't allow, have you considered staying at Bonito NF CG near Sunset Crater (north of Flagstaff) and touring Wupatki and/or Walnut Canyon NM's? Bonito CG is higher up and has more trees. But the ground is covered with black volcanic ash/sand. Really different and interesting. The trees around Petrified Forest NP are all rock!

What kind of geologist are you?
A retired one!

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/09 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just picking up on the tail end of this - see where 4runnerguy mentioned Wapatki and Walnut Canyon -- two places, in my mind, one should not miss. IMHO and FWIW.

Be at peace.

Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/09 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok folks - here's the full report: Since we were a little behind schedule and wanted full hookups, we opted to stay at the KOA in Holbrook, AZ. By the time we got there and were able to leave for PFNP, it was 3pm so we were limited in how much time we could spend at the NP, but we managed to get through most of it with the exception of the petrified tree walk at the south entrance. We thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it with the terrain change from the Painted Desert to the Teepees and badlands looking areas to the immense amount of petrified wood strewn about. We both marveled and imagined what the area must've looked like 250 million years ago. Neither one of us would've believed that petrified wood could be purple, yellow, orange and blue in color. It was amazing! After we left there we began to see petrified wood outside the park that we had not noticed before. We are both really glad we stopped and toured this area. Yes, everyone here was right when they said we could've driven it with our TT in tow if we had to. Thanks so everyone for their feedback. Oh, one last thing, we did stop at the famed Painted Desert Inn but no one there was able to show us the Harvey girls room so we just had to guess at it but it was fascinating to see the employee bungalows or maybe they were the guest rooms. Will have to look more up on the internet on this topic.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/09 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mosseater - we are currently at the Meteor Crater RV Park - great WIFI - and will tour Meteor Crater tomorrow then on to Petrified Forest National Park tomorrow. Really looking forward to it.

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/09 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We enjoyed the Petrified Forest. The Painted Desert is amazing! We pulled our trailer through and spent most of the day stopping and hiking and taking pictures. Very nice time. The Meteor Crater was somewhat of a surprise. I didn't expect so much info and the size of it is misleading. we also stayed at the campground at the crater and it was fine. Just overnight, but it was convenient and reasonably priced. Spaces were roomy and easy to access. The help at the front desk was friendly and informative. Both places were definately worth the stop.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Petrified Forest National Park
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.