RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Heading for Monument Valley and surrounding area.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Heading for Monument Valley and surrounding area.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Juggler

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/09 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are wanting to go to the Grand Canyon a second time, but the main thing "I" want to see is Monument Valley. So, the wife says getting a site at Williams would kinda "center" us, as far as what we want to do. We have all of September to play with.

We are thinking of taking I69 from Flint Mi to 70, to 55, to 44, to 71, to 60/69, to 40 to Williams. Does anyone know of any heavy construction along this route?

Also any RV campgrounds to recommend at Williams or surrounding area? Anything we might not want to miss?

Thanks! [emoticon]

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/09 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at Railside. Mostly a gravel parking lot but the management is very friendly. I would stay there again.

rv2go

Fulltime 15 yrs (Knoxville, TN).or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/09 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From Williams to the Grand Canyon Village is 60 miles. Another 180 miles to Monument Valley. That's almost 480 miles round trip.

To visit Monument Valley, I would suggest that you stay with the Indians (dry camping) or at Gouldings across the highway.
We stayed with the Indians in the spring of 2008 and camped on a bluff over looking the "Mittens" Pictures Scroll to the last photo and you can see where we were parked.

It is an awesome place. Be sure to drive the 18 mile loop road. Get up early one morning and catch a sunrise over the "mittens".

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/09 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think a site at Williams would be too far from Monument Valley for a satisfactory day. There's an RV park the opposite way on the road into the valley and it's only a mile or so. You can spend a lot of time there. I also think that there's a campground without hookups right at the valley.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/09 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, stay at Gouldings AND take the Guided tour. It is worth the money. Also drive North a little to Mexican Hat.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

cruiserjs

Mesa AZ/ openroad

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/09 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with all of above. Monument Valley is just too far from Williams for a day trip! You just will not have time for even the 1/2 day tour! Gouldings is a very nice Rv park and the tour folks pick you up there and bring you back.
Note - YES take the native guided tour! The short one that you can take (for a fee) in your own vehicle just does NOT do justice to the beautyand history of the Valley.
John

Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

cruiserjs

Mesa AZ/ openroad

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/09 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PS - Williams, however IS a good base to tour the Grand canyon, S. Rim, in your toad or tow vehicle. Some will say = take the train but that will only give you about 3 hrs or lessto enjoy the views and you will miss some of the best - e.g. Sunset from almost any viewpoint.
John

rolnhome

Casa Grande, Az

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/09 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed in Williams to ride the train to Grand Canyon then drove to Grand Canyon and stayed at park campground. We then drove to Monument Valley and stayed at Gouldings. If you have time Canyon De Chelly on 191 in AZ is good stop, free campground too..

We're in Arizona

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/09 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rolnhome wrote:

We stayed in Williams to ride the train to Grand Canyon then drove to Grand Canyon and stayed at park campground. We then drove to Monument Valley and stayed at Gouldings. If you have time Canyon De Chelly on 191 in AZ is good stop, free campground too..

I would agree about being too much of a drive to see Monument Valley from Grand Canyon (208 miles from Williams to Mon't Valley). Also Canyon de Chelly by Chinle is great with a free campground and showers. Been there want to go again. Nat'l Park

Navajo National Monument is located at the end of State Highway 564 off of US Highway 160. We have not been to this one, but sounds very interesting. Two campgrounds, one open all year, somewhat isolated but no fees are charged. NPS Site - Visit
Navajo

Navajo NMon is on the way to Mon't Valley, about 170 miles form Williams. Maybe 50 miles or so to Mon Valley.

Also in the area is Antelope Canyon - LAKE POWELL NAVAJO TRIBAL PARK near Page, AZ, never been to it but have seen many photos of the area, very neat.

* This post was last edited 04/04/10 02:27pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

NevadaJim

Minden Nevada U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/09 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Staying in Williams is a good choice to see the area plus the Canyon. We like Circle Pines KOA. While in the Canyon one day take Hwy.64 out the east entrance lots of view points on this route plus Indian ruins and the Tower. When you get to Cameron And Hwy.89 go south towards Flagstaff in about 15/20 miles you will see the turn off to the east for Wupatki Natl.Mon. this is a loop road that returns to 89 just before Flagstaff there are some good Indian ruins and Sunset Crater Volcano Natl. Mon. on it well worth the loop. If time allows spend a day around Flagstaff. There is an old lumber barons home on the Northern Arizona Campus,about 8 milers east of town on I-40 is Walnut Canyon Indian cliff dwellings however it is a steep walk back to the parking lot there are benches to rest on and take water. One more day trip south of Flagstaff take alt.89 to Sedona-not for MH or trailers-great red cliffs and buttes leave Sedona vie 260 to I-17 south about 10 miles to Montezuma's Castle cliff dwellings than back north on I-17 then on to Monument Valley where you need at least a day. Have fun

JimandJerry@charter.net

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Heading for Monument Valley and surrounding area.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.