RV.Net Open Roads Forum: North Carolina: OBX storm hunt Pt I & Pt II & Pt III & Pt IV

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> North Carolina: OBX storm hunt Pt I & Pt II & Pt III & Pt IV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/09 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very interesting trip you folks are having.
With those 9' waves, did you Transform into the Silver-Surfer?
May the wind be at your back.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

silverdunes

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/09 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seldomseensmith:
“we don't need a "disaster reports" coordinator ”.

Do not worry! I am always watching and tempering Silversand! My full time position is “Disaster Recovery Planner & Coordinator” and back up plans are always thought up before every adventure.

Shipbee:
Though we joke a lot… and Silversand did crazier things than me (in his younger days); we are serious about these things. My post mortem on the situation we experienced is not to count on State Park for accurate information and awareness of weather situation; always have back up connections to our satellite and radar data. We would not have ridden-out any “full tropical storm” in that State Park or any other State Park.

Whazoo:
Contemplation of the waves brought images, though the wind sandblasting made it impossible to write the inspired words. My mind drifted in a salty mist…..

Silverdunes - heading again for the beach (under blazing sunshine!)

Silverdunes
Outfitter Caribou, Silverado 2004
Silversand and 2 stay@homecats

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/09 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T-bone:

Excellent! Thanks for the invite. We're fighting a pretty close time-line (have to be PA just a few days after your invite date), but will make every effort to attempt to get to Edisto.

Two Maineiacs:

It's amazing how fast the sand here dries up (and floods)! We did a 10-miler this morning in the direction of Avon. Surf is way down, water is indeed over 80F, not a rock in sight [emoticon]

Saludos from sunny OBX! Oh, we had some excellent shrimp last night at Mojo's!

Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

AISURFFISH

BERLIN MARYLAND

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/09 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were in OBX last thursday til monday sorry we missed ya. We had 2 lances and a host convoyed up all weekend. We were in Buxton,Frisco,Ocracoke and Avon..

2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab
Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

skipbee

Glen Arm,Md. 21057 USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/09 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not for a moment did I doubt your good sense. A hurricane season like this one always diffuses the potential for problems, I believe that the glass is half empty is the way (Pessimisim Pays ) regards big storms. I'm sorry your soggy but happy your such good sports and making the best of it. Hope to meet you at Carlyle next week,
Love to all,
skip

skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

silverdunes

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/09 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skipbee
For sure, we will be at Carlisle! It will be our pleasure to meet you and discuss our foul weather experiences!

Aisurffish
We will not be strangers to the area and we hope one day to meet up with you guys. Can you recommend an interesting place to camp in Avon or Hatteras?

for all, will be posting more pics tomorrow. We have been relaxing, enjoying sunrise, sunset, long walks on the beach...back to hunting tiger.

Silver & Dunes

capterik

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/09 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I just checked this post and find that my comment was edited. I did not swear, stated my opinion. This opinion was based on the fact of being in many hurricanes as well as some blizzards where they were declared dissaster zones. I do not wish them harm, but if you are not smart enough to stay out of an area that people die in, then what happens happens. To go looking foer this is not good. If it hits the community does not need sight see'ers, and if you get into trouble then you run the risk of putting others that have to help you in danger and that ain't right. Recently, a young girl drown in Maine by waves from the remnants of a hurricane,sucking her out, what a waste when people do not give mother nature her due. This is my opinion and I have strong feelings about it. I really do not think you will see any weather that you hope for, I have to watch the weather closly this time of year and you are out of luck, have a nice vsacation, but I think what you are doing is wrong, and to the administration, go ahead and edit my post, welcome to America the home of the edited.

2003 Kodiak 5500
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4SB
KVH inmotion Satellite
Stable Lift

RichandLiz

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/09 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Silver and Dunes~
Sounds like quite the trip with many interesting adventures and good times as well. We will not make PA this time so will hope to catch you in the future. Safe travels.

Rich and Liz

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/09 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

capterik wrote:

Well I just checked this post and find that my comment was edited. I did not swear, stated my opinion. This opinion was based on the fact of being in many hurricanes as well as some blizzards where they were declared dissaster zones. I do not wish them harm, but if you are not smart enough to stay out of an area that people die in, then what happens happens. To go looking foer this is not good. If it hits the community does not need sight see'ers, and if you get into trouble then you run the risk of putting others that have to help you in danger and that ain't right. Recently, a young girl drown in Maine by waves from the remnants of a hurricane,sucking her out, what a waste when people do not give mother nature her due. This is my opinion and I have strong feelings about it. I really do not think you will see any weather that you hope for, I have to watch the weather closly this time of year and you are out of luck, have a nice vsacation, but I think what you are doing is wrong, and to the administration, go ahead and edit my post, welcome to America the home of the edited.

No one disputes your right to an opinion, and many here might well agree with you.

Bottom line is you don't need to call someone names to get your point across. Feel free to think what you will, but find a civil way to express your thoughts without insulting others, and you'll find more people are receptive to your ideas.

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

silverdunes

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/09 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Part II:

Wednesday the 9th of September, Silversand hunted the beach for tiger, and as you can see on this pic, no tiger was found….however Marshall greeted us on this beautiful morning. I thought no tiger in OBX for sure, though we found a historical instance of said.
A British flagship belonging to Sir Walter Raleigh’s 1585 expedition en route to Roanoke Island, was named “Tiger”. It ran aground on a sand bar in Ocracoke Inlet forced to land on the island for repairs. No vestige remains on the shore, however its story continues to be told.

[image]

Back to camp we went, and the hunt for hurricane (Fred is a fish storm); the low just off north OBX morphing into a tropical storm will affect more the Delmarva area, so we would keep a watch here for wave action and beach erosion, higher tides, winds, with some scattered showers. As for the tiger hunt, it has turned into a hunt for shipwreck and old ship stories.

[image]

Walking on the beaches, thinking of the past history of the Outer Banks coast, when in colonial times so many ships ended their sailing lives on these beautiful beaches…perhaps where we tread the coast, ghosts of distant mariners walk the same footsteps. Ocean liners, submarines, freighters, sailing ships, many shipwreck here…..countless stories untold….
Most ships have been broken to pieces and scattered, sunk by the storms that made them drift in bits. What is left is often buried for many months by surf or drifting sand. We will hike the beach to locate several. The evening came and we walked again….
Words will be ineffective; pictures are narrative and will “tell you” our Wednesday evening in Waves.

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Waking up Thursday we hit the beach (without our enormous mugs of coffee!!!!!), the sky view and the morning sunrise calling. Hiking over the dunes on our boardwalk passerelle.

[image]
[image]

Silversand watching the sky and Silverdunes hunting seashells, probing what the ocean delivers to her in each wave.

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

As the sun slowly rises higher on the horizon, we finally make it to the pier where large coffee and talk with the locals await: about weather, fishing, plants, local ecology and gardening. The eco-system of the region is quite fragile….the sand dunes so frail…sculpted as an art piece by the ocean and destroyed by the same artist subsequently. Spectators of the dunes and landscapes throughout the OBX inadvertently damaged these dunes. We have been careful and conscious during our trips to the Southwest not to disturb the crypto biotic soil; here in the OBX the dunes are every bit as fragile.

[image]
[image]
[image]

Not far from this wooden pier lay vestiges of old wrecked ships…we will be back later on today to investigate. As I typed these words, rain and wind has picked up for a while, but sun will return!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> North Carolina: OBX storm hunt Pt I & Pt II & Pt III & Pt IV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.