|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> 80% Rule

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Clarkston

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/09 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gross combined weight is 12000 like you said, limits me to 3600 wow not good is this 80 % rule not good?

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/09 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

there IS no 80% rule. It's just something that is made up mostly on this forum. There is absolutely NO manufacturer that says you can only tow 80% of what they've aleady SAID you can tow.

Like it, or not, the "80% rule" is used by a lot of people who want to calculate an estimate of how much their TV can tow without going to the trouble of determining the weight of "extras" carried on the TV when loaded for camping. Others use the "rule" because it gives them towing comfort and the feeling their TV will last longer.

If the "rule" is applied to the TV manufacturer's Maximum Trailer Weight value, it is equivalent to assuming the weight of "extras" is equal to 20% of the MTW.

If the MTW is 5,000#, an assumed weight of extras of 1,000# probably is not unreasonable.

If the MTW is 10,000#, an assumed weight of extras of 2,000# might be unnecessarily conservative.

But, if towing comfort is a consideration, who's to say what is conservative and what is not?

Ron

Clarkston

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/09 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skp what is the rule then Seen you on here alot always took your advice sincerely I just do not want to go down the road overloaded like what seems to me alot people are doing.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/09 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The way I always took the 80% rule was of one doesn't want to go to the trouble of figuring everything out,,,,well that rule would usually keep one out of an overload situation.

I like to know my numbers, so I don't use this rule. Some might look at the TT and TV combo in my signature and think I am overtrucked, but often I carry quite a load in the bed as well.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
1020 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

TURK2500

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/09 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clarkston wrote:

Skp what is the rule then Seen you on here alot always took your advice sincerely....snip

You may want to send 'skipnchar' a PM for a response.

2016 Silverado 2500HD, 6.0L
2018 Jayco 24RBS

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/09 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

there IS no 80% rule. It's just something that is made up mostly on this forum. There is absolutely NO manufacturer that says you can only tow 80% of what they've aleady SAID you can tow.

Many people incorrectly assume that the published Maximum Trailer Weight value is "what your TV can tow".

If you read the manufacturer's specification carefully, you might find that the manufacturer is indeed telling you that you cannot tow 100% of the MTW value.

If you read the GM towing specs carefully, you might find a statement which says:

Maximum trailer ratings are calculated assuming standard equipped vehicle, driver and required trailering equipment. The weight of optional equipment, passengers and cargo will reduce the maximum trailer weight your vehicle can tow. 10 to 15% of the trailer weight is the recommended trailer tongue load.

Clarkston's Silverado has a MTW value of 6700#. If his weight of "optional equipment, passengers and cargo" is 1000#, then the TV manufacturer is saying he must limit the TT's GVW to 5700#.

So, if you misunderstand the meaning of Maximum Trailer Weight, the manufacturer is telling you, for this case, Clarkston can only tow 85% of what you think the manufacturer is telling you he can tow.

And, if Clarkston wants to add 1340# of extras to his truck, then the manufacturer is telling him he can only tow 80% of what you think they are telling you he can tow.

Ron

Ron Gratz

full time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/09 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clarkston wrote:

gross combined weight is 12000 like you said, limits me to 3600 wow not good is this 80 % rule not good?

I think if the 80% rule is applied to the GCWR, you will often get a very conservative result.

OTOH, if you apply the 80% rule to the TV's MTW value and if the weight of "extras" in/on the TV exceeds 20% of the MTW, then you will be towing in excess of the TV manufacturer's specification.

Ron

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/09 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mostly the mythical 80% rule is for people that are afraid to really use their TV. That is why you see so many with 2500 series trucks, when a 1500 would do great.
Had I used the ultra conservative 80% myth. Then My Expe could not have towed my TT. Using the myth. The Expe could only tow 5200lbs. What a joke. It towed the 6000lb TT like a dream, with power to spare, and handled great. And my current TV, Would only be able to tow 6400lbs, again a joke, and completely useless. Unless you need a way over kill TV to make yourself happy.

So weigh your stuff, and do the math. Don't be afraid to use your TV. The engineers designed it to do what they say it will. And warranty it to what they say it will do.

BTW. As I read it. that 10 to 15%. Is what the trailer tougue weight should be, Don't count tongue weight twice.

* This post was edited 09/05/09 08:51pm by Terryallan *

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

xteacher

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/09 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a more practical answer, I tow a Passport 285RL with the truck listed in my signature. While it tows fine, I would not want to tow with less of a truck. Your truck isn't as powerful as mine, so be careful. My particular Passport also has a very heavy hitch weight; something you'll have to consider. Smaller Passports may be doable for you. Good luck in your search!

Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/09 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simplified:

Rule #1, do not exceed GVWR. Weigh your truck with everything and everyone in it you will take camping. GVWR (from the door) - (weight with passengers and cargo) = maximum tongue weight you can handle.

Rule #2, do not exceed GCWR. CGWR (from your manual) - (weight with passengers and cargo) = maximum trailer weight you can handle.

Done.

This method is accurate and does not rely on "tow rating" which is based on optimal conditions e.g. vehicle with minimal equipment and driver only.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> 80% Rule
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.