RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Great Sand Dunes National Park Campground info?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Great Sand Dunes National Park Campground info?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
mountain bird

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/09 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was wondering what anyone's experience has been at the Great Sand Dunes National Park, Co campground (Pinyon Flats). We are thinking of going later this month but don't know if the sites are close together. If you have been there, what was your experience? Are the sites close together? Are there several/lots of site for a 29 foot trailer with hitch)? Is the campground dog friendly? Anyone been there in Sept.? Any info would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/09 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My good friend, Ron Butler, just left there and hopefully will be picking up on this. If not in a few days I will get with him and have him get an answer on here. I am so glad you are going there; so many people miss it and it is truly amazing.

Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

kknowlton

southeast Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/09 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's been quite a few years, and we didn't camp in Pinon Flats, but did stay in the area & drove thru the CG. As I recall, the sites didn't look tiny, though some might have a small trailer area due to rocks, trees & other natural features. No hookups, which I assume you know. The one private CG near the park (outside the entrance), Oasis CG, had hookups so we chose that, and regretted it. It turned out to be a gravel parking lot, reached by a rocky, rutted, steep uphill road, and the downslope winds (about 40+ mph) almost damaged our popup, so we ended up breaking camp & stayed in a cabin that night.

I know, TMI. [emoticon] Anyway, I don't recall specific sites, but think there might be one or two that you'd fit in at Pinon Flats. The park is worth visiting, however. No idea on the dog-friendly, but I'd definitely leave the dog in the trailer when you're gone. There are (or at least were a few years ago) mountain lions in the park.

Haven't checked it out, but some folks here have recommended a CO SP in the area as a base camp for visiting Great Sand Dunes. You might look into that possibility.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/09 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed there summer of 1996, I believe it was. I remember a nice campgound, like most some sites are closer together than others. Most likely not as close as some private rv parks. From the map, it seems to go alone with what I remember about it. CG Map

Very neat area. Nice time to go see it.

We had out dog with us. She went out onto the dunes, when it wasn't too hot, with us.

From the Great Sand Dunes' SITE:

Pets: Pets are welcome in the campground. Please keep them leashed and under control at all times and clean up after them.

Black bears are potential visitors in the campground area. Safeguard yourselves and the bears by storing all food and aromatic cosmetics in the bearproof boxes provided. Try to minimize food odors in your site and vehicle. Do not leave food, coolers, or trash in unattended sites.

RVs: Some sites can accommodate RVs or camping trailers up to 32 feet in length. However, there are no electrical, sewer, or water hookups. A dump station and water hoses are available near the campground. Drivers with RVs longer than 32' will find it difficult to turn corners and should consider other area campgrounds.

Pinyon Flats Campground has 88 sites located along two loops. Restrooms have sinks, flush toilets, and a sink for dishwashing. Each site has a fire grate and picnic table. Some sites have large cottonwood or conifer trees for shade, while others are more out in the open with smaller pinyon trees. One loop (44 sites)of the campground is open year-round; one restroom is winterized.

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

Ron Butler

Federal Way WA./Sun City AZ. or points between.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/09 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found it!! Yes, we just left Great Sand Dunes NP and we stayed in their campground. We have a 33' motor home and there were maybe 5 or 6 spots that we could fit in to. The spot we grabed, we didn't put out our slideout. There should be 7 or 8 spots at least to fit your trailer into, but you may not be able to use your slideouts on several of them. We were in #1 on the lower loop. A great spot with great views. They MAY have the upper loop shut by now, but there are several up there that you should be able to fit into as well.

Oh, almost forgot - the sites are either wide spots off the loop road or back in spots. Most are well spaced, the several back in spots on the outside of the loop are closer together. Better spaced than most of the private rv parks!

I shouldn't think you would have any problems getting in this time of year. They don't take reservations, it's first come, first serve and while we were there, there were a number of empty spots.

Click on my hot links for pictures and our account of being there. It is really an interesting place and we were glad we took it in.

Enjoy your stay, but don't feed the deer!!

[b]Ron & Carolyn Tucker - Wire Hair Fox Terrier Federal Way WA./Sun City AZ. [b][COLOR=#000066]GO HUSKIES[/COLOR][/b] [url=http://picasaweb.google.com/RonButler6][b]Our Trip Pictures[/b][/url] [url=http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/ronandcarolynstravels][b]Ron & Carolyns Travels[/b] [/url]

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

mountain bird

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/09 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the information!! We knew the park allowed dogs on the dunes and since it is a pretty short drive for us, thought it would be a good spot to spend a couple of nights, especially because other areas would have hunters...Thanks again.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Great Sand Dunes National Park Campground info?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.