RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Texas Hill Country

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mehost

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/09 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bubbabod wrote:

I agree with taking the road to Bandera. On the way you'll pass Camp Verde with its old general store worth a stop. Also, in Kerrville there is a restaurant, whose name escapes me, but it is mainly a fish place, but with the typical chicken-fried steak, that is on a hill overlooking the Guadalupe River that is good food and even better view. From there head east about 20 miles or so to Boerne for shopping, antiquing, just looking in the shops. Beautiful little town.

I think the place you are thinking of is the Lakehouse Restaurant. They have an excellent corn battered catfish as well as some really good onion rings. Kerrville is an excellent base camp to see Fredricksbug, Garner State Park, Lost Maples, Boerne, and other places around the Hill Country. My wife and I love to spend the weekend at the Kerrville Schriener park even though we live less than 60 miles away.

texasjayco

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/09 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll only be about 45 minutes from Enchanted Rock. Definitely a favorite of central Texans. Also about 30-40 minutes from Sea World and Fiesta Texas in NW San Antonio.

Have a fun and safe trip!!

Mark

2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2011 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel Dually

texasjayco

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/09 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Robin1953 wrote:

What are the average temperatures in this area during January through March?

TIA

Wow, tough quesion. That time of year, you could see beautiful, sunny and 75 degrees. OR, you could see 25 degrees and solid ice on the roads. It seriously is a coin toss.

Robin1953

Ashton, WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/09 05:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are the average temperatures in this area during January through March?

TIA

2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Teacher's Pet

SD.. Fulltimers. New base Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/09 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The RV.net Sweetheart Rally over Valentines Day!!!

'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Elkhartjim

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/09 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gibson Discount Center has been mentioned but this isn't a wally world discount store. We make this a stop on each trip to Kerrville.

Jim & sidekick Roxie
38' Bounder DP">

MCDDY

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/09 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Miss Sue and I toatlly agree on the Gibson's in Kerrville. If they don't have it you don't need it. We were ther last month, stocked up on the 18" flourescent bulbs, a rain gauge for the house and Sue found some Butane cylinders for an old curling iron that she loves. Several have mentioned BarBQ. Don't go to Fredericksburg without eating a Pork Sandwich at "Cranky Franks", US87S just past the Ford dealer. All of the posts so far are right on. Do the Tx16 drive to Medina and Bandera. Don't do it with your RV though. If you've got the time make a run up to Mason and Brady, explore the courthouses and their "Antique Shops" Hope you've got room in your RV. My favorite while Miss Sue is shopping is to find the old Hardware Stores wherever we go. You can learn a lot about a community at any hardware store.
Enjoy

Dave
On edit. We stayed @ Schreiner Park. Really nice place. Stayed on the river side since it was 50A and it was "hot", 100+. At a cooler time of year we would stay across the highway in the woods where the deer come out in the evenings. We would ride over there each evening and watch them.

* This post was edited 09/10/09 03:48pm by MCDDY *

GEAUX TIGERS

Dave, Miss Sue & Lucy the Scotty
Big Easy Area.
FMCA 153192
2000 Monaco Windsor, 40' 2 Slide, ISC 350 HP.
2012 Honda Pilot or 1998 Blazer Toads
Aventa 2, Brake Buddy

GBuilders

Boerne TX.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/09 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my favorite places to eat is in Fredericksburg "The Nest" on highway 87 in an old house. A bit pricey but very good.

2005 Jayco Eagle 305 BHS 5th wheel

New truck: 2019 Ford F-250 power stroke platinum 4x4

Former truck: 2014 Ram Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4 6.7/Aisin 6 speed 3:73

lbrandt

Springfield, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/09 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget to check out Stonehenge while you are at Kerrville.
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/TX-StonehengeII.html

Larry & Ann Brandt
FIND US HERE
Where we have been
1999 NRV Tradewinds 7371, W/300 CAT. if it ain't a CAT it must be a dog

07 Jeep Liberty
Chipper & Sally Ann the dog's , Spookie & Patches the cat's.
MotoSat/F1/.74/117W/DW7000
400 Watts Solar

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/09 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To find nice but less expensive Campsites at COE Campgrounds Texas most are north of Austin, however. There are a few north of San Antonio on Canyon Lake and Potter's Creek Campground has gotten very good reviews.

The Museum of Western Art near Kerrville is really good, a must see for sure if possible. ART

I did not go see this, but it could be interesting, Texas Stonehenge II near Kerrville.

Find some good Texas Barbeque something like this place maybe Texas Pride Barbecue, which was featured on the Food Network. TX Pride I can not recommend a place. We had some just off I-10 in Kerrville, but it was years ago. Not sure if it still good. The barbeque sauce is the key. Anyone know of a good place to eat in or near San Antonio?

If you see a Taco Cabana Mexican Patio Cafe, the best fast food Mexican style you can find IMHO, stop and eat. Best Fajitas, we like the chicken ones, but all are good. (We eat at one in El Paso whenever we have to go there, see Mexican Nationals eating at it, must be good) Great Salsa, try some of each, very good eating. Sopias were bad when we tried them in Amerillo, other menu items very good. Menu

South Llano River State Park adjoins Walter Buck Wildlife Management Area, south of Junction is great as is Pedernales Falls State Park in Blanco County east of Johnson City. We have been to both. River
Falls

Almost went to Blanco State Park, but didn't. Seems like a nice place.

LBJ's Ranch is near Johnson City as well as a Texas State Wildflower Museum-like place, the Lyndon B. Johnson State Park and Historic Site is between JC and Fredericksburg (neat place to see as well), across the road from the LBJ Ranch a National Park now. LBJ
LBJ SP
City
Nimitz
Luckenbach Texas is in the area as well, but have not been to it.

I'd love to make it for A TX Wildflowers' Bloom time. ***** Texas WildFlower Report *** TXdot Wildflower Sighting

Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - The University of Texas - Austin

I found Cascade Caverns at Boerne to be extremely neat (my first cave) when I was about 12 or 13. Not sure how it would hold up now for me. Ha! Cave
I see they do have camping there now.

Guadalupe River State Park- I have not been here, 30 miles north of downtown San Antonio at the north end of Park Road 31. It may be reached by traveling west on State Highway 46, 8 miles west of the intersection of State Highway 46 and US Highway 281 or by traveling eastward on State Highway 46, 13 miles east of Boerne. Guadalupe and other state parks in the TX Hill Country

Bastrop State Prk- ditto as last one, have heard it was nice. -70 miles to San Antonio. Bastrop
Buescher SP is adjacent to Bastrop SP. Buescher

In San Antonio:

San Antonio Zoo and Aquarium is near Brackenridge Park - we enjoyed the zoo many years ago. ZOO
Parks

Buckhorn Saloon and Museum was interesting, espc. Buckhorn Hall of Horns, we have visited it in down town, but we first saw them when at the old Lone Star Brewing Company. Lone Star had purchases the world-famous Buckhorn Collection and had the Lone Star Buckhorn Hall of Horns as part of their tour. BuckHorn

The Institute of Texan Cultures is a 182,000-square-foot cultural experience museum featuring 65,000 square feet of interactive exhibits and displays that tell the stories of Texans. The mission of the Institute of Texan Cultures is to engage lifelong learners in the understanding and celebration of Texas cultural heritage. Note{ not just cowboys, but the varied nationalites, such as German, Polish, Czech, Swedish, etc. also African American, Hispanic and many others. The Institute of Texan Cultures is located in downtown San Antonio in HemisFair Park beneath the Tower of the Americas and adjacent to the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center. Complimentary parking is available. Additional paid parking is available in adjacent lots and on Durango Boulevard. Groups traveling in buses are asked to enter the bus lot on South Bowie Street. ---A neat place. TxCultures

San Antonio Missions National Historical Park ---we took a good part of a day to drive to them and visit some on one trip to San Antonio, but may have visited the Alamo first(?). They are not in just one spot, takes some driving & following directions. Pretty neat. If into photo taking, may get some nice shot. Missions

I just found this site, it could be neat to visit: Casa Navarro Historic Site.

Art Museums in SanAntonio: San Antonio Museum of Art *** McNay Art Museum / the McNay *** The Museo Alameda I have not been to any of them, but would like to.

I believe you will like San Antonio, for a huge city in population, you don't really get the closed in feeling of a big city. As some have noted:
The Alamo -very interesting (espc. for a Texas kid), very nice displays, beautifully landscaped grounds in the back area & interesting museum.

The River Walk -very nice to walk, also boat rides, lots of side walk eating places. We have always enjoyed it. Walk

Also, near San Antonio---often by passed is the town of Castroville with a RV park. RV Park
Regional Park
Castroville is approximately 15 minutes west of San Antonio, settled by Henri Castro and a small group of French Alsatian colonists. A neat town & river. My sister & bro-n-law had a vacation place there once on the Medina River, shortest river in Texas. Alsatians are the German-speaking people of the French region of Alsace, located between the Vosges Mountains and the German border in the departments of Bas-Rhin and Haut-Rhin. There are perhaps 1.5 million speakers of German dialects in this region. There is no single Alsatian dialectal variant, although High German is used as the written standard. Today, most Alsatians are bilingual, German & French. According to Louis L'Amour in his novel Shalako, they were always. Castroville
I believe the locals & maybe most Texans called it Caster-ville, at least back in the '70s.

And I remember my sister driving us by Medina Lake. But can not remember much now. It was in the early '80s when we went by it.

I just happen to find this site, the place sounds neat.
Hill Country Natural Area

Being from the Southwest, I did not think of the El Mercado at first. Market
Mercado

Some Misc Areas in Texas:
Texas State Parks are really nice: Parks

I have never stopped here, but have been tempted to do so, Caverns of Sonora, they say is a National Natural Landmark, a unique cave located 8 miles west of the town of Sonora, Texas, and a world-class cave.

Balmorhea State Park is located in the foothills of the Davis Mountains southwest of Balmorhea and nearby Davis Mountains State Park (along with the famous Big Bend Nat'l Park) are very nice places and one could spend a long time at each. Been to all except Davis, but it is nice areas, be sure to visit the old Ft. Davis a nice place to see. Balmorhea

Off the I-10 beaten path somewhat: Goliad State Park is located by Goliad with a nice campground on the San Antonio River. (a lot of Texas History in this area, some from same time as the famous Alamo fight) Been to it and would go back.Goliad

* This post was last edited 09/07/10 01:04pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.