RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Texas Hill Country

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Texlawdawg718

Longview, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/09 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are headed to Kerrville, Texas, is there any must do things in that area? I have narrowed our choices for parks down to a few in the area, but I really like the looks of Kerrville-Schreiner.

What attractions should we not miss when we are there? We are going in November I think. Thanks for all the input.

Phillerup

Usually Travelin' the USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/09 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a great Nimitz museum in Fredricksburg - not typical museum at all and a great place to visit. Some good wineries around Fredricksburg.....If you have never seen bats leaving a cave at dawn or returning at dusk - there is an old RR tunnel there that the state wildlife folks hold a tour at where you can watch them leave and it is a real experience...There is about a million of them and they all come out at once and form a funnel and take their different paths. Downtown Fredricksburg is a nice place to visit too...We stayed at Ladybird Johnson RV park there.

2003 Newmar DSDP 4005 dual slide king bed Spartan 350 Cummins 2004 Jeep Liberty 4X4 tow, SeaEagle boat in basement

Bonefish

Midland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/09 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot to do in that area of Texas. You will enjoy Kerrville-Schreiner park the times we stayed it was state owned. One thing you can find in Kerrville is a Gibson Discount Store. We always go to it when ever in the area a must for us. Even if you take road trips arount the area of Hunt is just neat drive.

Sharon

Drippin

Dripping Springs, TX - just West of Weird

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/09 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good choice on a place to stay. We really like the park. The sites near the river can be a bit noisy due to traffic. But the sites in the Deer Field loop are very nice.
In addition to seeing Fredericksburg:
- It is a bit of a drive, 2 hrs, but the Caverns of Sonora are very interesting. By far the best cave decorations of any we have been to.
- If you are up for a hike. Enchanted Rock SP north of Fredericksburg is well worth the effort.

Also you will be about 1 hour from downtown San Antonio. If you have not seen the Alamo and river walk it's worth a visit.

Have fun.

2008 Laredo 284BHS, 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 6.7CTD, Equal-i-zer, P3, Subaru RG4300iS ">

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/09 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bandera (cowboy capital of the world) is good for a day trip. A number of things to do there.
Bandera
And the loop from Kerrville to Bandera to Medina to Vanderpool and back to Kerrville is very pretty. Some of it country you would not expect to see in Texas.
Agree the Nimitz is worth a visit especially if you have any interest in the 2nd world war. Great exhibits and collections of that era.
According to their web site, the Old Tunnel bat viewing is only available May thru Oct. I guess they migrate during the winter.
Just a note. Deer season opens Sat. Nov. 7. There will be thousands of hunters descending on the whole hill country area. Don't know how that may affect availability of camping sites.

* This post was edited 09/08/09 01:43pm by BB_TX *

bubbabod

Beautiful Carlsbad, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/09 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with taking the road to Bandera. On the way you'll pass Camp Verde with its old general store worth a stop. Also, in Kerrville there is a restaurant, whose name escapes me, but it is mainly a fish place, but with the typical chicken-fried steak, that is on a hill overlooking the Guadalupe River that is good food and even better view. From there head east about 20 miles or so to Boerne for shopping, antiquing, just looking in the shops. Beautiful little town.

Frank & La Donna Bodden
2004 Sea Breeze LX
Once a Texan, always a Texan

MichDoc

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/09 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may want to stop at Lukenbach, just to say you were there!

Ron Butler

Federal Way WA./Sun City AZ. or points between.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/09 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MichDoc beat me to it!! I second Luckenbach - "where everybody is somebody"! You can then say you hung out with Willie and the boys!

LBJ Ranch and state park is nice as well as Johnson City.

Fredricksburg already mentioned, especially if you want to try the hill country wine.

Was in the hill country 3 years ago and it was great. Going back again within the next several months.

One word of caution - if and when they have heavy rains roll through, be sure to HEED the road closed signs! Flash flooding can and does occur in the hill country and they are serious when they put those signs out. One night had to get into SA to pick my sister up at the airport. Took us 2 hours because of the closed roads. Next morning found out that a couple was swept away in their car and were drowned on one of the closed roads that we had to turn around at. If you ignore the signs, automatic $500 fine and you pay the rescue bill!

How could I forget Bandera - the self-proclaimed "cowboy capital of the world!"

It's a beautiful area and can hardly wait to get back.

Enjoy your time there.

[b]Ron & Carolyn Tucker - Wire Hair Fox Terrier Federal Way WA./Sun City AZ. [b][COLOR=#000066]GO HUSKIES[/COLOR][/b] [url=http://picasaweb.google.com/RonButler6][b]Our Trip Pictures[/b][/url] [url=http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/ronandcarolynstravels][b]Ron & Carolyns Travels[/b] [/url]

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

kingrl

Victoria, Texas 77904

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/09 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our camping club went here for a rally, and we all enjoyed it.

http://www.koyoteranch.com/

Good luck,

Richard

Richard & Patsy King
Victoria, Texas
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus, 40QSP
2000 Honda CRV EX Toad

Phil & Stephie

Sevierville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/09 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LBJ Ranch is a good spot, very interesting tour of the ranch.

Phil & Stephanie Grey
"Partners In Life"
2016 Allegro 36LA
2007 Chevy HHR
Yorkies; Paisley Marie & Opie Taylor

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.