RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Texas Hill Country

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Texlawdawg718

Longview, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/09 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great information, can't wait to arrive!

Ducatibilt

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/09 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you just want to take a drive you need to "Do the 3 Twisted Sisters". RR335,RR336,and RR337.
My favorite ride in the Hill Country.

Take 16 south out of Kerville towards Bandera then hit RR337 in Medina, that leads through Leaky to RR336 go north. Quick ride on 41 west leads to RR335 go south which leads back to Leaky. Really popular with us motorcyclists but should be very few that time of year.

RR335 is really cool because it is open range, there are no fences running along the road so you kind of have to watch out for free roaming cattle and wildlife only a few cattle guards seperate the properties.

Ducatibilt

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/09 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Elkhartjim wrote:

Gibson Discount Center has been mentioned but this isn't a wally world discount store. We make this a stop on each trip to Kerrville.

I remember when Gibson's were the first discount stores in Texas, before Wal-Mart. I assume this one was part of the old Gibson's network of stores? I googled it, and found it is part of the same corpation as Pamida. We started seeing and even shopped in one or two in North Dakota. Pamida is a chain of department stores with more than 200 locations in 16 Midwestern and West Central U.S. states. Pamida stores are generally located in smaller communities that range from 3,000 to 8,000 in population. The Pamida name represents the first two letters of the first names of co-founder Jim Witherspoon's three sons, Pat, Mike, and David.

* This post was edited 09/13/09 04:01pm by DesertHawk *

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

Texlawdawg718

Longview, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/09 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to have Gibsons all around here as well. Do they have a corn dog and lemonade stand in the parking lot? I just can't wait!

Texlawdawg718

Longview, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/09 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I changed my mind and signed up for a couple of nights at the Buckhorn Lake Resort. Looks like a nice central place to spend a few days.

Texlawdawg718

Longview, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/09 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really sounds like we will be back again and again! Its ashame to have lived in this state for so long and not have been to this area before. I am about to change that!

Judy Mc

Ohio/Texas/On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/09 04:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Lakehouse catfish is second to none and don't forget to try their homemade onion rings. A very nice CG in the area is Johnson Creek RV Park in Ingram which is just outside Kerrville. It's located in a Pecan Grove in a ranch setting. There are access deer there every day. Last year we counted 60 at one time. A trip to Fredricksburg is definitely a must. Enjoy the hill country as it is beautiful and has much to offer.

2006 Monaco LaPalma
2009 Chevrolet HHR

one_strange_texan

The Woodlands, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/09 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone else mention the cowboy artist's museum in Kerrville. A must if you are into that sort of thing. No one else mentioned the good Tex-Mex food which is good just about anywhere you go. The German food is good in Fredericksburg. I guess the bottom line is, there is plenty to do and see in the area. It depends on what your tastes are. I am pretty sure after sampling it for this stay you will be back.

one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Bonefish

Midland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/09 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Gibson in Midland closed nearly 20 plus years ago. I worked for Gibson in San Antonio. The one here in Midland and the San Antonio store main office was in Seagoville, TX. back when we lived here. My pay check came out of Seagoville when working at the one in San Antonio. I am sure you will like Buckhorn RV Resort as it is a nice clean park that we have not stayed at. We have other friends that stayed at Buckhorn like it a lot and others that did not. The only thing is the wildlife you see in the other park, I'm sure they get wildlife too. I guess we just like the surrounding in the former state park. The cost is the other part of staying in a private. Last year we decide to stay at the Guadalupe River RV park in Kerrville to really not enjoy it. Cost alone was double from the other city run park. It has full hook-ups, just not cable as the privates ones do. Enjoy your stay in the area and see all you can.

Sharon

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.