RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Santa Fe, NM camping

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
lonestarbike

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/09 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking for info on any scenic campgrounds near Santa Fe that will accomodate a 32 ft travel trailer. My wife and I will be visiting for a week around the first of October. Water and electric would be a plus but not a requirement. We have stayed there at Trailer Ranch in town before but we prefer a more natural setting.

www.brianandsharonjones.wordpress.com

ccxnola

Wherever the rig is - I'm there too!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/09 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of information at:
http://www.newmexico.org/stay/ or click on:
New Mexico Info

2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

Dave's Wife

Albuquerque, NM- The Land of Enchantment

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/09 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try this. Hyde Memorial state park. They have electricity and hydrants but no site water. It's very pretty up there. Follow the driving directions very carefully though if you miss and take the first Paseo de Peralta street you'll end up in downtown with very small streets to negotiate.

http://www.newmexico.reserveworld.com/New Mexico State Parks Reservations

Dave's Wife
2003 29 ft. Holiday Rambler Alumascape 5th wheel
'03 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
Dave & Me

Phillerup

Usually Travelin' the USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/09 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not going to comment on a campground because the one we stay in is not scenic but I like it a lot and it was convenient and an all adult park..very quiet and pecaceful...What I will recommend is that if you like scenic - make sure to take a drive up to Ski Santa Fe.....especially if the Aspen are turning.

2003 Newmar DSDP 4005 dual slide king bed Spartan 350 Cummins 2004 Jeep Liberty 4X4 tow, SeaEagle boat in basement

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/09 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I normally recomment Hyde Park State Park, the electric sites are just off the road going up to the sky area. All paved. The sites in the other part of the park are not paved as I remember. Hyde
Map

I have just read about a Santa Fe Nat'l Forest campground which I would try for if going to that area now. We stayed there once years ago, but it seems to have been improved recently. A 32' rig??? Not sure! Black Canyon Campground - Eight miles from downtown Santa Fe on NM 475. Take Bishop’s Lodge Road to Artist Road, which will turn into NM 475, also known as Hyde Park Road. Seasons: Weather dependant, April through November. Black Canyon

Bandelier National Monument would be a nice place to visit near Los Alamos and not far from Santa Fe. It was a pleasent campground when we stayed there as well.
Monument

Santa Cruz Lake Recreation Area a BLM site with campgrounds is 30 miles north of Santa Fe (Santa Cruz). We have stayed there, a nice area. One campground overlooks the Lake, the other is down by it.

We have heard good things about camping over by Pecos 16 to 23 miles north of Pecos on Highway 63 and Forest Road 122 at Holy Ghost, Iron Gate & Jack's Creek. We visited Jemez Falls a very nice area. Here is a listing of
campgrounds

Here is a link to some neat things we found in visiting Santa Fe.

Private: Santa Fe Skies RV Park *** Los Campos de Santa Fe RV Resort *** Trailer Ranch ** Roadrunner RV Park *** Rancheros de Santa Fe Campground ** Reviews ** Info RV-Camping Santa Fe I have not been to any of the private ones, can't give a personal account. Rancheros de Santa Fe Campground seems nice from their web site. ???

Not sure of the route you will be using to get to Santa Fe, but if you use US 54 to go or return. This would be a very nice site to visit, IMHO. Valley of Fires Campground is GREAT! AAA CampBook was not up to date on it. All looks pretty new, great sites. Most with water & electric, very new bathhouse with showers (clean and lots of hot water), dump site, nice hiking trail into the Lava Flow. We didn't need the electric nor the water with the showers. $12 without electric, $18 with electric and some non improved for $7. With the Senior Pass we got it for $6. It was pretty cool due to T-storms in the area and it cooled off nicely to sleep. We stopped close to the Hwy and there was some traiffic noise but not bad, did not bother sleep. On leaving, we found the campground goes well away from the Hwy. and some are down off the ridge line and closer to the lava. There were some trees near if not by the lower camp sites, none along the ridge line. But farther from the showers/flush toilets. The shower was great before bed time and again in the morning. They also have a vistor center/gift shop, but it had not opened by the time we were leaving. With A/C any time would be ok, but Fall and Spring would be best. Winter would be a good time as well, maybe see some snow on the lava and plants. With the low camping fee, you get the showers and dump site free. No entrance fee if camping. $3.00 for day use. We plan to go back when it is cooler. An A+ for Valley of Fires Campground. [emoticon]xactly: We stayed over night July 16, 2008 with the day time heat cooling down from rain showers in the area at the time. It was starting to heat up by the time we left around 9 am. It was a nice walk on the nature trail in the cool of the morning. Very nicely paved, roads, sites and nature trail. I believe I would drive into the campground toward the back area next time. All are neat.

This BLM Recreation Site is located Four miles west of the Town of Carrizozo on US 380 in South Central New Mexico. Volcanos

BLM

Valley of Fires recreation area is located immediately adjacent to the Malpais Lava Flow. Approximately 5,000 years ago, Little Black Peak erupted and flowed 44 miles into the Tularosa Basin, filling the basin with molten rock. The resulting lava flow is four to six miles wide, 160 feet thick and covers 125 square miles. The lava flow is considered to be one of the youngest lava flows in the continental United States.

From Big Spring, one could go to Roswell, then to Lincoln, then to Carrizozo. Then to Santa Fe via US 54 & US 285. Or visa versa. The NM roads are good.

[emoticon] I have never had the opportunity to stay at a COE campground. Not too many in NM.
Abiquiu Lake -US Army Corps of Engineers campground, we have driven by but not stopped, they say it has excellent facilities surrounded by red sandstone cliffs and mesas of "O´Keefe Country." Campground
Area
Echo Amphitheater - Natural rock formation is nearby with a campground as well. Close to Ghost Ranch & the Ghost Ranch Piedra Lumbre Education and Visitor Center, located on U.S. Highway 84 just one mile north of the main Ghost Ranch entrance, has exhibits and a gift shop. A very nice museum in "O´Keefe Country." Ghost Ranch also has camping.

Also Army Corps of Engineers---Cochiti Lake between Santa Fe & Albur'que.

* This post was last edited 09/02/10 10:01pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

lonestarbike

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/09 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info

2blackdogs

Anywhere we stop but home is New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/09 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lonestarbike,
For the first week of October I would recommend either of the two Corp of Eng parks south of Santa Fe off Interstate 25. It's about 1/2 hour drive to SF from the parks. The park on the east side of Cochiti Lake is call Tetilla Peak Rec Area. We are there right now.
Also don't forget about the Albuquerque Int. Ballon Fiesta the beginning of Oct. RV sites may be limited at that time. I would recommend a reservation wherever you decide to go during that time period.
Bob

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.