|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Edmonton to Ariz

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
sleepcheater

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/09 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travelling to Ariz., Nov.
I will be towing and would like to stay away from as many mountainous regions as I can.
Mainly because I'm going to be travelling with an older (but good)
Class A.
First time for us and would like help.

bobofthenorth

Somewhere in North America

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/09 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's really only one route - cross at Coutts and take 15 down to Las Vegas and then head SE. Once you get to Pocatello you will be essentially out of the mountains. The only serious pass on that route is Monida but in November it shouldn't be a problem.

My website
My weblog

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/09 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not believe there are very mountainous areas on I-15 down to Utah. Some decent into the Salt Lake City area. My route maker says to get off the interstate at exit 95 & take UT 20 to US 89 (not sure, but it appears NOT to be mountainous); then down US 89 Kanab where you could take US 89A which would go up into mountains or stay on 89 to Page then on down to Flagstaff. I-17 from Flag to Phoenix & I-10 to Tucson if going that far. Flagstaff is in a high elevation, not too steep of climbs to it from the north, but some going down to Phoenix; but I wouldn't think too severe. Never been on the I-17. I have gone from Page to Kanab via North side of Grand Canyon. I do not remember any thing too severe.

You may have a place already picked out in Arizona, but just in case this is a LINK to places in Tucson area. Someone asked about 55+ RV Resorts in New Mexico a little earlier. It was my reply to it.

Edit addition: Monida Pass Elev 6824 This does not seem to be a very mountainous pass. There will be some up and down grades, but I do not believe there will be serious passes to cross. Weather in November, I do not have a clue. Serious weather would be of more concern than the passes.

It is not like the interstate like hwy in Alberta running from Calgary towards the US. Not as flat as those Alberta plains. But not in huge mountains, but maybe foot hills of them. But again I have not driven the whole route, but some of it. There were some grades as I remember, but not as bad as the one out from San Bernadino at Cajon Pass. It is a good climb, but at an elevation of 4,190 ft.

* This post was edited 09/17/09 05:31pm by DesertHawk *

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

Firstep1

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/09 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

DesertHawk on 09/17/09 12:06pm

I do not believe there are very mountainous areas on I-15 down to Utah

Deserthawk I believe that you must be referring to another Interstate somewhere else as we travel that route each year and from just south of Great Falls MT to you get to Idaho you are definitely in the mountains (Rocky Mountains) so yes you go thru a few passes.

Sleepcheater don't let the above news startle you as being from Edmonton & probably driven around Jasper you will know what to expect and it also depends on what part of November your talking about and of course every year is different.
But also remember that if the weather does get nasty all you have to do is pull over and wait it out.
That road (I-15) is well taken care of in the winter, Montana does a excellent job of keeping it clear as that is the main route for the truckers. Enjoy, Fred
So in short don't sweat it & just take it easy and enjoy

Lethbridge, Alberta

God made a few good heads, the rest he put hair on.

sleepcheater

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/09 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you very much.
This will be our first time travelling with the M/H down south we are towing
a tracker.
I really don't know what to expect and the wife and I are a little nervous
not to mention intimidated and Old lol.
We are working feverously on the map trying to find the best way.

cruiserjs

Mesa AZ/ openroad

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/09 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The above recommendations - Calgary-Lethbridge-Coutts to US I 15 to Vegas area and go east from there are all good directions. You will have no trouble as long as you watch the weatherand stop somewnhere if snow is expcted (possible in late Nov. but it will not stick around.
Now my main question is just where in AZ are you headed. That will direct more exact route suggestions so we will wait for your reply.
John

Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

gsjk

St Albert Alberta Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/09 12:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have gone down 2 winters and plan on this one as well. We went down Jan 1 both years and I 15 to Vegas is your best route.
Stayed at Palm Creek RV and Golf Resort in Casa Grande for a month each year and now the DW is spoiled and it looks like we will be doing that again.
Have also stayed in Hemet Ca at Golden Palms Village for a month each year and will be doing that again.
Like the man says if the goin gets tough pull it over and stay awhile.
We have spent a few nights at Flying J's if necessary but in November you should have no problems.
We normally go first night to Dicks RV in Great Falls. Also fuel up at Flying J.
After that it depends on how long and hard you want to drive to get South.
If you want more infor just ask.
Have Fun

sleepcheater

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/09 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice and good question cruiserjs.
I cannot answer that right now. We are researching posibilities and there are many of them. Got some good leads from other people who have been in different areas of the State,all seem to be positive.

Would like to do a little more research and get back to this section of the forum soon!
Thanks tons!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Edmonton to Ariz
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS