|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Kings Canyon/Sequoia: where to camp

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
klm

SIOUX FALLS, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/09 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I have made a couple of previous posts for our anticipated summer'10 trip west. We have a 40' class a w/toad. Where do you suggest we camp to visit Kings Canyon and Sequoia? Could we use Bakersfield as a home base for the rv and travel in the toad to the parks? A day for each park? or more/less?

We will be there in early to mid May, before Memorial Day weekend (hopefully). Departing from FL after Easter (early April) We are fulltimers and can ease our way across - no sprint necessary.
Thanks, Kathy

'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

iwoodb

california

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/09 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bakersfield is too far south for a home base, You would be better off using Visalia area or Three Rivers. Lodgepole in Sequoia NP is super nice ,but no hookups.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/09 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with iwoodb, too much driving to commute to a Park. I would try for a spot in Sequoia NP. If you are not doing alot of long hikes, Kings Canyon could be seen in a day. I'd want to spend 2 days in Sequoia at the least. If full timeing, why not a week to 14 days? Very pretty up there. Should be chilli in May however. Weather Averages

However, staying in the Park is what I would do, you may not enjoy being in the Park with your RV.
Here are some RV Parks outside Saquoia, but close to the entrance. Campgrounds
Ranch
Resort
Hideaway

If none of these seem what you want, check for RV Parks in Fresno, but it could be 50 miles of driving to get to the park from some parts of Fresno or more. Or try RV Parks in Visalia, but again it could be the same distances as Fresno. Bakersville is 126 or more miles to the Park entrance.

Good Luck.

Below are some info I found on one site I was looking.

NOTE: Gasoline is not sold within park boundaries. Be sure to fill up in one of the towns near the park entrance OR at one of three locations in the national forest bordering part of the park: year-round at Hume Lake (near Grant Grove), and late spring into fall at Stony Creek (between Giant Forest and Grant Grove) or Kings Canyon Lodge (between Grant Grove and Cedar Grove).

To Sequoia Park entrance: from Highway 99 at Visalia take Highway 198 east for approximately 1 hour.

Note: The 16-miles of road from Ash Mountain to Giant Forest includes 130 curves and 12 switchbacks. Due to this, there is a vehicle-length advisory for the 12 steepest miles within that stretch. From Potwisha Campground to the Giant Forest Museum, the advised maximum vehicle length is 22 feet (6.7 m). The alternative: take Highway 180 from Fresno to Grant Grove, then turn south on the Generals Highway.

Maximum legal length limits on the Generals Highway are 40 feet (12 m) for single vehicles or 50 feet (15 m) for vehicles plus a towed unit. If you are towing a smaller vehicle, consider camping in the foothills and using the smaller car to explore.

To Kings Canyon Park entrance: from Highway 99 at Fresno take Highway 180 east approximately 1-1/4 hours.

PET OWNERS: Keep in mind that dogs are not permitted on park trails and it may be too hot to leave them in the car. ****I would think early to mid May this would not be a problem.

In the 1990s, we did a trip in a 20' 1983`Kumfort Lite Bunkhouse Travel Trailer, towed by a Chevy Converson Van. We did the area around Moab, UT, did a night at a mountain lake on our way to check out Salt Lake City, then to Reno (where we did some repair work on the trailer from wind damage enroute - tore some siding loose) then to a FS campsite north of Lake Tahoe, then to Yosemite and then to Sequoia where we based camped in a park campground. Getting to Yosemite from East

* This post was last edited 02/27/10 11:31pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Kings Canyon/Sequoia: where to camp
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.