RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: What was your first RV?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What was your first RV?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PenMan

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/09 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first was a 1977 Ford E150 cargo van that I completely modified the interior myself. That was fun.

Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

SPRING STREET

LOUISVILLE KY.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/09 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my first was a '72 Starcraft Galaxy 8 pop up then a '84 Lazy Daze 23' Class C>> those were the days !!

2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. ">

eknrazffej

Michigans "Thumb"

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/09 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lol, being a youngin' here, my first was a 1998 Terry with a manual crank sofa slide. Thought it would last me forever! 3 trips with a baby changed that school of thought!

2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2009 Jayco Jay Flight 30BHDS

johnthecamper

Grapevine, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/09 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first was a 1985 Palomino popup. I do mean popup as you had to unlatch the roof and lift it manually, it had spring loaded arms that would help lift and then snap up. In 1987 traded it for a Jayco popup that had a crank up top. Those were the good ole days.

08 F250, 2012 Wildcat 293REX

McZip

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/09 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1969 Winnie Brave

Back in the mid 80's when our family vacation budgets were limited. DW and I loaded up our four kids in the 1969 22ft Winnebago Brave, for a trip to Washington DC. We planned on staying in the Winnie if a stealthy spot could be found around the Capitol/Mall/White House area. We were experienced urban campers, having taken other trips to our nation's largest cities. Usually spending the night in a hotel parking lots or a city street that bordered a park. It was a lot of fun with the kids, having the Motor Home parked close to the action, of each city's downtown tourist area. While driving the Winnie around the Washington Monument I spotted a group of white construction trailers parked on the grass next the Monument's visitor's parking lot. I drove the Winnie from the visitor's parking lot across the grass and chose a space among the construction trailers. Our 'white' Winnie blended right in with the 'white' construction trailers. We spent the next three nights camped there, spending the day touring the Capitol's Mall, Museums and Monuments. At night we'd bed down in our lil' White House gazing at the Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln Monuments and then turn to give a salute to our closest neighbors, Ronnie and Nancy over at the big White House.

Uppercrust

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/09 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being another relatively youngin', our first was a 1997 Rockwood pop-up with a 12' box. It was HUGE but we were able to use our minivan to haul it around. We owned it longer than any since (5 years). Wife wanted her own toilet (her exact words) so we went to a 2002 27' Hornet. We quickly outgrew that and bought a 2004 Jayco 32' w/ a superslide and quad bunks (this was a nice unit). After realizing the kids spent more time sleeping outside, we upgraded to our current rig (our first 5er) back in 2006. We finally broke the "trading in every two years" thing and hope to keep this one until it falls apart - which will hopefully be a few years after I get it paid off!

2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF "> campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

jwoodie

Folsom, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/09 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1967 Aristocrat 16' TT. Now we have grandchildren and are ready to do it again! (But we are overwhelmed by the variety of choices.)

N4ARW

Washington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/09 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first was a 2000 Coleman pupup. Then we had two TT and now have our second 5th wheel. As someone else said the popup was the good old days.

Sarge
Maureen (Boss)
2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab
2005 Prowler Lynx 8275 5th wheel
Jake, Boykin Spaniel

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/09 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first RV was a camper shell on the back of my dad's farm pick-up (1970 Chevy) with a butane tank in back; this would have been in 1971. My wife & I drove from Harlingen, TX to Las Cruces, NM for a job interview. We bought the camper shell for the trip. We had two fold up cots (old army style, canvas, take apart to fold), a borrowed Coleman camp stove. The camp stove's leather pump was dry, therefore we had a time getting it to work. Corn oil on the leather to get it going. First time to sleep in it was a KOA in Las Cruces. Got the job, found a small house to rent, spent another night at the KOA. Went to Carlsbad. Can't remember others stops. No real problem. Fell in love with RVing & New Mexico and have been at it for 38 years.

After getting back home, we bought a '71 Chevy Pickup for the camper shell. After moving to NM, I added build in bunks, storage, a spot for a Coleman ice chest and a wooden floor over the metal bed with indoor/outdoor carpet. It was a neat set up for us. It even had a little seat, so you could have a place to put on shoes, etc in the back close to the door. The camper shell had a solid back, with a door & windows on both sides. I took the tail gate off. It had 3 tiers, tallest in the rear, of course. It was great for boon docking & dispersed camping. We also got a port-a-potty.

We also bought a new Coleman stove in Las Cruces before we left. Ha!

Edit add: In '75, at least I believe it was '75. Traded this set-up on a '75 Scout II 4x4, slept in the back with the tailgate down with a sheet over the back to keep out bugs, or in a tent.

A few years later, around '83 or 4, I got an old '60 something Holiday Rambler Truck Camper for the old '70 pick up, after I got it from my mom. It had roof leaks, water leaks if on city, smelled bad until got to cooking in it each trip. I took the mattress out & burned it (living out on a small, 5 acre farm at the time). It fit a long bed pick-up.

Bought a TT in '86 (a 20' 1983 Komfort Lite Bunkhouse with a head & shower, Wow!) which we took on a trip to Yellowstone, Glacier, Baniff in Canada to Victoria, BC then down the west coast to SoCal & back home towed with the 16 year old '70 Chevy farm truck without a butane tank & a low shell.

After several new to us tows through the years, we went to a '96 Coachman Catalina C-class 22' MH in '97. We went to Canada again for our first trip with it. This time to LA area then up the west coast to Victoria, BC area to Jasper, to Baniff, Watertown, Glacier, then back home via American Falls area of Idaho. After getting a Fish & Sky Boat, we often towed our Jeep CJ-7 & the boat behind the C-class going up to Elephant Butte State Park.

We down sized to the 16' Scamp in 2005.

We enjoyed each and everyone of them. [emoticon]

WoW! McZip, you are the super urban Stealth Camper for sure.
McZip, wrote: "Back in the mid 80's when our family vacation budgets were limited. DW and I loaded up our four kids in the 1969 22ft Winnebago Brave, for a trip to Washington DC. We planned on staying in the Winnie if a stealthy spot could be found around the Capitol/Mall/White House area. We were experienced urban campers, having taken other trips to our nation's largest cities. Usually spending the night in a hotel parking lots or a city street that bordered a park. It was a lot of fun with the kids, having the Motor Home parked close to the action, of each city's downtown tourist area. While driving the Winnie around the Washington Monument I spotted a group of white construction trailers parked on the grass next the Monument's visitor's parking lot. I drove the Winnie from the visitor's parking lot across the grass and chose a space among the construction trailers. Our 'white' Winnie blended right in with the 'white' construction trailers. We spent the next three nights camped there, spending the day touring the Capitol's Mall, Museums and Monuments. At night we'd bed down in our lil' White House gazing at the Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln Monuments and then turn to give a salute to our closest neighbors, Ronnie and Nancy over at the big White House."

Only once did we do any Stealth Camping, back in the early '70s. We pulled off the viewing road by the Grand Canyon South onto a forest pull over and into a forest track of road. Parked behind some small trees & brush. No knock on the door in the middle of the night. Only time we disperse camped where I felt as if I was stealthing.

Wow

* This post was last edited 02/27/10 03:35pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

usmohls2@yahoo.com

CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/09 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first was a early 50's star craft tent that the beds pulled out the front & back. When the tent went bad in the 60's, cut the back out to carry DW & My dirt bikes. Pulled it with a self made van conversion. Lot of really good memories from them times!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What was your first RV?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.