|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Brownsville, Tx area in winter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
arkietraveler

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/09 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking for input re the Brownsville, Tx area in winter. We are thinking of going down to that area this winter and would like some input on the campgrounds there. Recommendations and places to avoid. Thanks.

goldwingerx2

Iowa or where the MH is

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/09 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a ton of campgrounds, some way inland some close to the water. Some are newer and some older. Some have more scheduled activities than others. If you could provide more info as to what you are looking for, it might help others to help you. The one thing I can say is we like it around Harlingen. It is also windy most of the time, not high winds but windy.

Dean & Mary also Purr our 50,000 mile cat! & Sparkles (scarty cat)
IA & TX Retired Air Force
12 Itasca Sunova 33C
12 Smart Car Blue Ox tow set up
07 Toyota Prius & Demco Kar Kaddy

Where we have been since retiring:

D & M

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/09 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know, and I'm not trying to start a war, but aren't they having border trouble with drug runners around Brownsville, or is that at some other border crossing?

Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Mn Hkr

Hardwick,Mn / Mission,Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/09 01:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D & M wrote:

I don't know, and I'm not trying to start a war, but aren't they having border trouble with drug runners around Brownsville, or is that at some other border crossing?

Last winter the problems were in Reynosa and Juarez, they are on the Mexico side. We thought that the Mexicans had stepped up security in Progresso Mexico area.

mwallace61

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/09 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not in Brownsville, but Bentsen Palms Village RV Park in Mission Texas is an awesome place.

Mike & Karen
ForrestGump the Wonder Dog
USA

pawatt

Brainerd MN / Palmview TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/09 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D & M wrote:

This has not been a huge problem area, you are likely thinking of the El Paso area. We go to Mexico several times a month.

pawatt

Brainerd MN / Palmview TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/09 01:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 500 RV Parks within 50 miles of Brownsville, Just come down & fine one that you like. Mid & West Valley has less wind.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/09 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harlingen was my home town, born & raised there. IMHO I'd try not to get too close to Brownsville. Away from the border would be better. Maybe Harlingen, but as some mentioned, less wind & less humid in the Upper Valley. I've been gone tooo long to be able to recommend anything. The snowbird industry was just beginning when I left the area, some 38 yrs ago.

I would suggest going to the Laguna Atascosa Nat'l Wildlife Refuge out from Rio Hondo. Refuge. The last time we were there on a Spring Break, we got to see a couple of alligators as well as birds. "Alligator Pond: Alligator watching has become very popular at the refuge. During wet years they seem to inhabit every pond. Alligator Pond, .25 miles south of Osprey Overlook, usually has a gator or two. Alligators can also sometimes be seen on the resaca on Lakeside Drive. Alligators can be dangerous; stay on the road and do not feed or disturb them. Keep a close eye on small children and pets."

However, if you want a trip out into the BAY, try Capt. Richard Weldon in Arroyo City. Tell him DesertHawk, Mona's brother, recommended them.

Earlier this year his site listed Sight Seeing Tours, but I did not see it listed now. "Weldon Charter Service is a fishing guide service based in Arroyo City, Texas. Centrally located on the Lower Laguna Madre, our charters may range from Port Mansfield to South Padre Island. WCS offers fly fishing charters as well as lure fishing trips. Targeted species include redfish, speckled trout and flounder."
Rates

Oh, yes, I do NOT get anything for telling you about him. His dad was my brother-in-law is all. The senior Weldon took me for a fishing trip out in the area many moons ago in the early 70s. A lot smaller boat than what Richard has now. Richard has been fishing out there most of his life. Senior Weldon was not a guide, just a sport fisherman.

The Sight Seeing and Bird Watching Tours seemed interesting, therefore I wanted to pass the information on. If they are not doing them, you might check some of the other Fishing Guide Services to see if they might. I believe if interested in them his email address is listed on his site. Wouldn't hurt to ask about them. Perhaps it is not the right season yet for them????

Up the Valley by McAllen there is another REFUGE. I have always wanted to see it but have not. 'The Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge is headquartered at the Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center. It is located 7 miles south of Alamo, Texas, on FM 907 and 1/4 mile east on U.S. Highway 281.'

One of the things I missed from the Valley: The Best Citrus AnyWhere!, yes, they are the Very Best! They grow some very good veggies as well down there. RGV Crops

I am sure you know about South Padre Island. It was where I first got a taste for camping. Very dispearsed camping back then, a '46 Jeep CJ, a tarp for shade, a cot to keep off the sand & away from the sand crabs, a summer weight sleeping bag and food & water. Had a blast, would drive down the beach until no one else were around. Maybe 10 miles from the entry point. But my first campout was at Boca Chica with my parents. At that time, you had to take a boat ferry to Padre Island, then get a ride on an old Army Half Track to get to the beach on the island. When my mom was a teen, to get across to the island, they could wade across, before the InterCoastal channel was cut. They also had to cross by row boat to get to Matamoros. Port Isabell was called Point Isabell then as well, but the Lighthouse was there.

Arkietraveler, my mom was born in Arkansas, Mountain Home, but spend most of her life in Texas, most of in the Valley. My dad was born & raised near Clarksville, Arkansas. I believe he left Arkansas at the age of 22 years and lived most of his life in Texas, mostly the Valley. They did two trips out to Califonia in the 1930s. Hope you have a good visit down in the RGV. Way toooo many people down there for me and way toooo humid. [emoticon]

* This post was last edited 11/02/09 06:49pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

lawnboy1

Mission,Tx/ Palmyra,PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/09 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

take your question to snow birds forum . they can tell you all bout rgv

Hoops

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/09 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the campgrounds in Brownsville are older campgrounds. We have stayed in the Harlingen area and like it very well. Would also recommend First Colony in San Benito, just north of Brownsville. While we have never stayed in Brownsville, we were told it is best not to stay so close to the border. So we went to Harlingen. Check out Fun and Sun also, very big park, a lot of snowbirds like it. But if I were needing a place to stay near Brownsville I would go to First Colony. We are trying out the Donna area this year. Will let you know how that is. Just my two cents.

The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Brownsville, Tx area in winter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.