|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outer Banks Trip - Part 1 & 2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/09 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My DW and I are into Geocaching which takes us to some interesting places we otherwise wouldn't go. One of the more time consuming caches we like is a Delorme Challenge. If you know of the Delorme Atlas, picture having to go to each page in the book and finding something there. This means that once you have completed the Challenge, you have visited the entire state. Well, we started working on the NC Delorme Challenge in spring of 2007 and had everything covered except the pages along the NC coastline. I convinced DW we needed to travel the NC Outer Banks and finish up the challenge. The kids are more than old enough to leave home for a few days, so it would be just the two of us in the TC. She agreed, the weather cooperated so the adventure began.

We traveled up SC Hwy 41 to 17, then some backroads around Myrtle Beach, back onto Hwy 17 near the NC state line. First stop was the NC welcome center to get information on Wilmington, Outer Banks, and the ferries.

[image]

[image]

One of the neat things about GeoCaching, is the neat things that you stop at to complete a cache. At 55mph, this tree doesn't look like much, but once you stop, you notice the detail and handy work.

[image]

[image]

Neither would this, nor would you know the story. The book reads "Built by Emmett M. Sniff 2003 - 2004 at age 70 with the help of the Lord and my Grandson Calvin J Sniff age 16 Amen"

[image]

[image]

Knowing we would be away from chain resturaunts, I let DW go to one of our favorites.

[image]

After a few more caches, we finally arrived at the Cedar Island terminal around 10pm. The welcome center had told us we could spend the night in the ferry line, so that is what we did. First and only one in line til around 4:30am.

[image]

We were awakened in the morning with the other vehicles moving into the loading area, but we had to wait til 7:00 before it would be our turn. Waiting on the ferry gave us time to enjoy the sunrise and looking at the group of old Fords from Indiana making a grand touring loop.

[image]

[image]

Finally, we made it onto the ferry. The Cedar Island - Ocracoke ferry is a 23 mile, 2-1/2 hour trip.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Finally, Ocracoke comes into view.

[image]

[image]

We managed to fit down this side street while exploring the town, but I did climb up on the roof to check for damage since we drug a couple of limbs. No damage was found so we continued around town to enjoy the sights.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Thought about driving out on the beach, but didn't have the nerve without air down the tires, nor did I like the idea of salt water being splashed on the truck. So we continued on up to the pony pens.

[image]

[image]

[image]

At the north end of the island, we had a little time to kill before the ferry, so I decided to try the beach again. This time I went out on the beach. With the hard tires, I could feel the truck wanting to sink into the sand, but was able to keep enough momentum to get turn around and off the beach. DW said I had an extreme butt pucker look when I was on the beach.

[image]

The ferry to Hattaras was a nice short 40 minutes. Due to construction on the island, they were running 6 ferries which gave us more to look at during the trip.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Once in Hattaras, we stopped at the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum. No admission, but they do ask for a suggested $5 donation.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Quick stop at the Cape Hattaras Lighthouse. Between the DW not liking heights and the 30 minute wait for a tour, we skipped the tour.

[image]

More driving on up to Oregon Inlet.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

As we cross the Oregon Inlet bridge, we conclude Part 1 of the trip report. For more pictures of this trip, check out my photo albums.

* This post was edited 09/23/09 09:39pm by kohldad *

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Caveman55

Monroe,NC USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/09 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the report and pictures. Got about a week and half before I'll be there. That butt pucker look will go away the 3rd or 4th ,5th,6th,7th,8th, trip on the sand. But I love it. Donnie

DB Pressley
2005 Lance 881
2006 Ford 350 Dually

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/09 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice trip report and thanks for sharing.
Hope that pucker problem cleared up ok after getting off the sand and back onto terra firma.
Jeff

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/09 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice trip, thanks for sharing.

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/09 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like it was a fun trip. I hope to take the tc on a ferry soon also, but on the west coast. Thanks for posting your trip report, very enjoyable.

Hoops

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/09 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nicccce

The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/09 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the great pictures and the heads-ip on the museum.

Bill

1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/09 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did the ferry rides in the early '70s (there were two... not as crowded back then either. I ended up sitting on top of our old camper wih my feet againest the side of the second level of the ferry to keep the camper from bouncing into it... we had WAVES.

It was a good time to be there... very little commercial development, no condos, just a few "shacks"

My best friend from Junior High school is now VicePrincipal at the brand new high school at Kill Devil Hills... very close to the Wright brothers original flight rail.

I think the only way to get on on the islands by bridge was at Marathon.

In the past few years I've enjoyed reading Homer Hikhams books Torpedo Junction and The Keepers Son about the submarines and ship wrecks in that area.

Thanks for posting... loved the pictures

Sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/09 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That what I like about TC's go where you want. Nice write up and some very good photos.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

CptnBG

Salem and Smith Mtn Lake, Va

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/09 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report. Thanks to you and silversands, I'm getting the itch to make a trip down there.

'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outer Banks Trip - Part 1 & 2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.