|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outer Banks Trip - Part 1 & 2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BHale

Cockeysville, Md.

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/09 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the great pics!

We'll be heading down to Frisco this Friday to spend the weekend there. We like to say at the Frisco Woods campground so the wife can cross the road to spend the day on the beach.

Thanks again for the "Primer"

Brian [emoticon]

2008 Dodge 4500 Cab and Chassis Quad Cab.
2010 Host Yukon
Lots of mods to both ">

travelinglane

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/09 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to TC down in that area. Love new adventures!

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/09 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After we crossed the bridge, we ducked into the Oregon Inlet Campground and picked out our site for the night. But before we settled down, we had to go into town and try out the Sam & Omie's restuarant suggested by the ranger.

[image]

[image]

The food and service was fantastic and I highly recommend it.
[image]

Back at the campground, I still had some time to walk around and get some wonderful pictures.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

In the morning, we stepped off the beach for a short side trip to Roanoke Island where we found a short nature trail about a block across from the CVS.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Next stop was the Wright Brother National Memorial in Kitty Hawk. It is well worth the $4 admission. The exhibit building has some very nice displays and you are just about guarenteed to be amazed at some of the things you'll learn about just how hard it was for them to make the first powered flight.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Over in the exhibit building, you get to learn about the meticulous methods, the tools and how they had to make their own bearings for the engine.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

We then left the Outer Banks via Hwy 158. While we were enjoying finally seeing some trees and crops, we almost missed this spot and had to make a u-turn.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Time to get moving and head over to Edenton where we made a stop to enjoy a small town park.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Next we headed south on Hwy 32 where we crossed the Albemarle Sound. The bridge was long, the winds were strong, and the views just fantastic.

[image]

[image]

We pulled into RVacations Campground just off I95 in Selma. Was surprised they were full, but they still managed to squeeze us into an overflow lot and let us tap into an adjacent 20A circuit. They even provided an extension chord when our power cable wouldn't reach. The big thing we both wanted was a hot shower.

[image]

[image]

In the morning, we headed over to Selma to check out a caboose and the town.

[image]

[image]

[image]

We then headed south Hwy 242 so we could avoid the interestate. I like traveling the back roads for all the neat things you see.

[image]

After crossing the SC state line on Hwy 76, we took a small dirt road down to a boat landing for lunch with nice views. Hmmm, shame I don't have the kayak rack on the camper yet.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Last stop before heading home was at a park in nearby Nicholas. Some neat statues and mean mosquitos which chased us away too quickly.

[image]

[image]

[image]

We thought about staying on the road for one more night, but since we were within two hours of home, we decided to head that way and see how our daughters handled our absence. Imagine this, they complained and said we should have stayed gone longer. Maybe next time we will. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 09/24/09 05:25am by kohldad *

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

samsphones

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/09 05:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pics, we are headed to OBX end of Oct but your pics really make me want to leave today. The people at RVaction are super nice.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/09 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sent a note to my friend the high schools Vice Principal... sleepy

His response:

This is our school taken from on top of the Wright Brothers Memorial. To the left is the atlantic and to the right is Currituck sound.

The center "window" is the Media Center (library.) Students can sit on sofas and look across the street and see the memorial.
Doesn't look much like a High School does it?

[image]

[image]

Actually, the island will fool you. Sure it is slim for the most part, but as you face the school in the picture, the road goes to the right for several miles. Perhaps a 30 minute drive into Colington Harbor.

This is the "good" time of year. Still nice weather, yet not so much traffic.

Dennis

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/09 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kohldad wrote:

Over in the exhibit building, you get to learn about the meticulous methods, the tools and how they had to make their own bearings for the engine.

These guys would've been truck campers for sure!

kohldad wrote:

We then headed south Hwy 242 so we could avoid the interestate. I like traveling the back roads for all the neat things you see.

Here is a favorite "on the road" quote that reflects your feelings (and mine) quite accurately:

"With the completion of the Interstate Freeway System, it became possible to travel all the way across the country, from coast-to-coast, and never see a thing...." Charles Kuralt

Great adventure - I really appreciate the time it takes to post a trip report, and thank you for sharing.

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

BelleisleNB

Kiersteadville New Brunswick, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/09 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing....we just decided to take the same route only in reverse Kitty Hawk
to Cedar Island...thought I'd check out if there was any info...I hit the
jackpot!! Thanks for the report.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outer Banks Trip - Part 1 & 2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.