|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Harlingen/Brownsville, TX area

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
arkietraveler

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/09 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are thinking of spending a month or so in the Harlingen/Brownsville area this winter - probably February. Would like to be close to the gulf so I can go deep sea fishing. Not into looking at birds or alot of organized activities. Some are ok. Quiet, clean, safe park is what we are looking for. Recommendations?

trop-a-cal

Palm Coast Fl

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/09 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Riverbend, in Brownville is high end, with activities pool and hot tub. It does get cold though, as December of 1997 there was Ice on the Palm Trees.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/09 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First Colony RV Park is in that area and is a clean park with all the usual amenities without being expensive. It is south of Harlingen and north of Brownsville, or about thirty miles from the Gulf. Not a bad area and right across the road from Fun n Sun which does have a lot of activities including the largest dance floor in the Valley.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/09 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've wintered each of the last three years at First Colony RV park. Nothing too fancy but it has all the whistles and a lot of the bells and everyone is pretty friendly there. http://www.firstcolonyrv.com

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Hoops

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/09 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to check out Palmdale RV, not fancy, but very friendly people. It is in Los Fresnos which is closer to the Gulf. Might also check out Holiday Out Rv park in Los Fresnos. Haven't stayed there but did check it out.

The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/09 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where & What is the RGV

Harlingen was my home town, born & raised there. IMHO I'd try not to get too close to Brownsville. Away from the border would be better. Harlingen & San Benito, I believe, would be good as base site. RV Park Reviews Harlingen Area

These RV Parks in Harlingen, Fig Tree RV Resort and Palm Gardens are in or close to the Stuart Place Area were I grew up on a Cotton Farm west of Harlingen. Tropic Winds RV Resort is north of Harlingen. Palm Gardens has always been there, at least as long as I can remember. Very shaded places as I remember from the '60s.

I've been gone tooo long to be able to recommend anything. The snowbird industry was just beginning when I left the area, some 38 yrs ago.

I would suggest going to the Laguna Atascosa Nat'l Wildlife Refuge out from Rio Hondo. Refuge. The last time we were there on a Spring Break, we got to see a couple of alligators as well as birds. "Alligator Pond: Alligator watching has become very popular at the refuge. During wet years they seem to inhabit every pond. Alligator Pond, .25 miles south of Osprey Overlook, usually has a gator or two. Alligators can also sometimes be seen on the resaca on Lakeside Drive. Alligators can be dangerous; stay on the road and do not feed or disturb them. Keep a close eye on small children and pets."

However, if you want a trip out into the BAY, try Capt. Richard Weldon in Arroyo City. Tell him DesertHawk, Mona's brother, recommended them.

Earlier this year his site listed Sight Seeing Tours, but I did not see it listed now. "Weldon Charter Service is a fishing guide service based in Arroyo City, Texas. Centrally located on the Lower Laguna Madre, our charters may range from Port Mansfield to South Padre Island. WCS offers fly fishing charters as well as lure fishing trips. Targeted species include redfish, speckled trout and flounder."
Rates

By the way, I do NOT get anything for telling you about him. His dad was my brother-in-law is all. The senior Weldon took me for a fishing trip out in the area many moons ago in the early 70s. A lot smaller boat than what Richard has now. Richard has been fishing out there most of his life. Senior Weldon was not a guide, just a sport fisherman.

Here are two places a little closer to the Gulf in Los Fresnos, a very small town on the way to Port Isabel, could be more windy there, closer to the Gulf. I can not say how nice they would be.
Palmdale Resort
Palmdale
Holiday Out

These would be in Port Isabel. Can't say how nice any of these would be. Port Isabel Park Center
Tarpon RV Park

This one is by Arroyo City, but is a lot farther from Port Isabel, but by the Bay. Humming Bird Cove ........Just another option. ??

By Port Mansfield...Bay View RV
Deep Sea Fishing....Charters
Could be others? Not sure where would be best to go from? Another option only.

* This post was last edited 06/17/10 11:10pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

MoRambler

Springfield, Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/09 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trop-a-cal wrote:

Riverbend, in Brownville is high end, with activities pool and hot tub. It does get cold though, as December of 1997 there was Ice on the Palm Trees.

The ice/snow there was a VERY unusual circumstance. Most of the time, the winters there are very mild.
Also, Riverbend is a privately owned community. There are lots for rent, but you rent from individual owners. It does have a very nice golf course however if you're into that. You can litterally throw a rock to Mexico also, since the Rio Grande borders the community, and the river isn't very wide there as it borders the golf course. I've played there several times. We considered buying there but...it was a little TOO close to Mexico for us.

Larry & Ann
2002 19' Timberlodge TT
2013 Ford F150 5.0L V8 w/TT Pkg.

DonP

N-E-Where-USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/09 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2007 we stayed at Breezelake in Brownsville for 3 months, (they have a web site). It's not a fancy park but OK. It's about 20 to Boca Chica Beach where you can drive on the beach to do your fishing.

Don

celebratecalmness

Westminster, Co, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/09 11:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If fishing in the Gulf is #1 on your recreation list then the closer you can get to Port Mansfield the better Which would be Harlingen, less driving than from Brownsville. The charter boats get to the fishing spots quicker from Port Mansfield. I went out with a company named 'Fish On' last year every one filled out in less than 3 hours. Or you can stay in Brownsville and surf fish at Boca Chica beach most every day.

jlawless

Coldfoot, AK

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/09 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

celebratecalmness wrote:

Or you can stay in Brownsville and surf fish at Boca Chica beach most every day.

Rio RV Park is probably the closest if Boca Chica fishing is your goal and a very nice park.

Talk to the animals. They will talk back to you. If you don't talk to the animals, they won't talk back to you, and you will fear and when you fear animals you will destroy, and if you destroy the animals, you will destroy yourself.
Chief Dan George

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Harlingen/Brownsville, TX area
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.